Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Somali’s in the Army

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Haatu:

Che, because I live in the city, I can't buy a gun. This is the UK man. I have shot from a real gun before though. Besides, I'm a thorough bred geeljire from
Garissa
. I don't know where you get Xamari from.

Karl, yes it does interest me.
;)

WOuld you serve in Iraq and Afghanistan- ?

If you ask me, these so called Western recruits are baboons with no morals or intellect whatsoever.

A case in point, there was an Asian (muslim born)fellow who joined the British army back before the war in Iraq. When they waged the war on Iraq and was about to be drafted, he had a change of heart, as though, he didn't know that he was being prepared to invade muslims in their own land! Absolutely idiotic.

N.O.R.F   

Recently met a Somali brother working for the US Marines as a medic. He was here for 4 days only to jump back on the ship and sail off to another exotic location. He had already submitted his resignation and was looking forward to leaving by then so he avoided an intense question or two :D

How many Somalis have or know of people who worked for the Brits, Italians and French 50 years ago?

As for joining the Army today, it's all about what one has been exposed to. Most don't have a clue how it could compromise their beliefs and join based on career progress (would look good on the CV in 5 years when applying for a consultant position in a hospital/engineering firm).

Chimera   

On the tv-show 'Mighty Ships', there was a episode about a Danish naval mission that included Somali soldiers. When they encountered buccaneers you would hear Af Somali coming from the ABSALON'S loudspeakers telling them to surrender.

Something similar:

Defence Forces to Recruit Somalis for Peacekeeping Mission

The Finnish Defence Forces plans to recruit Somali men and women living in Finland to serve as interpreters in the Atalanta crisis management operation in Somalia. In addition to language skills, the recruits must have military training and be able to handle weapons.

The operation will rely on local interpreters as well as interpreters trained in Finland. The Defence Forces say the interpreters are central to the mission.

”Interpreters’ roles are extremely important. A large number of conflicts and problems arise from misunderstandings due to language. An interpreter will be able to overcome language barriers and improve the group’s safety,” says Joni Lindeman of the Defence Forces.

The Somali League says it is certain the job will attract applicants. This year around 100 Somalis living in Finland have taken part in military training.

The Finnish minelayer Pohjanmaa is to take part in an EU operation to repel pirate attacks on UN ships delivering food aid to Somalia.

Source: YLE

http://www.hiiraan.com/news2/2010/Sept/defence_forces_to_recruit_somalis_for_peacekeeping_mission.as px

Buuxo   

"Dariskaaga marku diid, marku dayo marna ka darr"

The reason(s) any muslim would serve in an kafiir army is beyond me.I find them or the act of joining such armies pityful.

Your allegiance should only be with your creature(Allah).Not some country that offered you a passport.

They should find other means to serve their community , that does not negate their faith.

Ismalura   

I suport integration and giving back to the country that you live in but joining the army is a big No No for me. When there is a conflict of labo interest you choose the on that means more to you... marka I guess I understand both sides of this.

Ismalura   

I suport integration and giving back to the country that you live in but joining the army is a big No No for me. When there is a conflict of labo interest you choose the on that means more to you... marka I guess I understand both sides of this.

Ehh ehh!! Mpendwa naona unatoa smile ya uhakika.

My dear- you know I don’t find Somali men attractive, so asking me to describe them is abit torturous. Worse I won’t do them any justice, apart from enrolling you into my camp.

Anyhow- let me jog my memory. 3 were tall, 2 short (uncommonly short) dark skinned apart from one of them; who looked wee bit barwani to-me. Too much bachaq bachaq in him (I can’t put my finger to it, I guess it’s the way he conducted himself). 2 had protruding front teeth (couldn’t help but focus on them-shame really). Three didn’t- but then again had nothing distinctive to recommend them also. They all had that forehead thingy. Well spoken and good command of the English language; one actually spoke the queen’s English. 2 originated from the north of England. One was from Cardiff; as for the other three I can’t remember. What else; one had nice hands (wasted on a man kind of hands) they did look nice in uniform but then again, not enough to standout for me. or make a distinct impression in terms of their physicality. In short nothing worth remembering apart from being Somali and in the service.

Which was the focus of this thread……