Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Somali’s in the Army

Got introduced to 5 Somali servicemen last night at a dinner thingy. They were nicely decorated, two were fresh from deployment; and frankly very impressive. But upon reflection I have been seeing an increase in Somali servicemen. Sadly no women yet (maybe soon). But what’s your take on this? My views are somewhat mixed. Part of me is impressed, part of me finds the whole thing borderline blasphemous. And the other simply doesn’t give a monkeys.

Anyhow; what’s your take on this and have you been noting a similar pattern wherever you are?

:rolleyes: Come on. Am sure you lot can say more than; CL were just happy you meet Somali men and did they make my heart skip a beat.

Val nay. I had a better model hanging over my arm. So no, I was simply impressed about their accomplishment/integration into British society.

LoL @ CL. Okky dokky.

I feel ambivalent about service in the Army. On the one hand, as a Muslim, you are fighting for the ideology of another, on the other hand, if being a soldier is a calling and you can't join the army of your country, then why not join the service of your adopted country?

Chimera   

Great for their host country, and the community they represent. In the end they might play a vital role in the re-establishment of a viable and competent Somali National Force for the Republic of BlAdLaNd.

NGONGE   

Just got an image of a Somali soldier in the British army coming face to face with a Somali Talibani in Helmand province.

Soldier: Ma Somali baad tahay?

Jihaadi: Haa! War gaalada maxaa ku raacsiiyay?

Soldier: Iga leexo inadeer aan Afghaniga xun tuugtay

Jihaadi: Adna iga leexo aan gaalka xun tuugtay.

Both take aim and bring their men down.

Jihaadi: Wale waan la helay. Ahahaha!

Soldier: Xareef! Ana gadh dheere wan dilay. Ahahaha.

Jihaadi: Horta qolamaad aheed?

Soldier: reer hebel, adna?

Jihaadi (cocking gun): Yaaa, maxaad tedhi?

Soldier (getting the picture): Nacala waxaad......aaaaaah, caluuuuuuusha.

Jihaadi: aaaaaah, gadhka!

Two dead fighters on the ground.

Val-that’s what am trying to grapple with. The whole thing is rather complex. On one hand the individuals in questions sense of pride and accomplishment for their adopted country is admirable. But on the other I have a cynical and dainty view of the whole “service” thing/what they do when their out-there. And it’s all gets confusing with my resignation to the fact that every country needs an army and they do play a pivotal role for their nation and I’ve been lucky I would say to have come across exceptional men and women who put their lives at risk/put families throw such hell all in the name of country and been impressed by their belief/sense of duty. Now; how the army is used by the ideology drivers and bureaucrats is another, and its one am trying to separate hence not use against the servicemen in general. But it’s all rather hard/complicated when it’s a Somali servicemen in that uniform.

The fact that I go throw a different sets of emotions from why should I give a monkeys, couldn’t they do something worthwhile to contribute to their communities first before they opted for the nation, to great on you for choosing a semi-Nobel occupation to being another stats...Bugs me.

Psycho- isn’t that presumptuous of you. After all they might choose never to go back or simply don’t consider Somalia as home?

Old man- that’s below the belt.

Chimera   

Originally posted by cynical lady:

Psycho- isn’t that presumptuous of you. After all they might choose never to go back or simply don’t consider Somalia as home?

Na..Bladland doesn't need those girl-scouts.