Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

The Life and Death of Abdinasir Dirie

Kool_Kat   

In the 1990s, Abdinasir Dirie's parents fled civil war in Somalia for the apparent peace and safety of Canada. Years later, G Baby, as his family called him, made his own way from the rough streets of Toronto's St. Jamestown neighbourhood to the oilfields of Alberta looking for riches and good fortune. There, he died and his murder remains unsolved, like so many other murders of young Somali-Canadians. The extra twist in this case: some members of his family are convinced they know who committed the crime.

Hear from the family of Abdinasir Dirie as the fifth estate explores the searing pain of their struggle and peels back the layers of a story even more complicated than anyone originally expected.

Wadankeenii wuu holcooyaa for over 20yrs; caruurteeniina wey baaba'ooyaan! And we're nowhere near taking responsibility for our own actions...It is a shame!!!

Walaahi, I felt sad, at times had tears in my eyes; but I couldn't ignore the fact of Somali parents failing their children! There's absolutely no or little involvement in their children's lives...When we came to Canada, if you went to the projects, majority were non-Somalis; TWENTY freaking years later, it is US! Meeshii larabay horumar, dib usocod baan noqonay...Worst of it all, it is everybody else's fault but ours...You see families with two or three cars, yet live in high-crime government housing; they drive the lates cars, yet their children don't have money to buy lunch at school; they are in shaloongo (by the 1000's) and caruurtii waxaad mooda in hada Utange laga keenay, and that's just the least of the problems...

Allaha unaxariisto intii dhimatay...Inteena noolna allaha inoo fududeeyo...

Every single community problem would disappear if everyone moved out of government housing. It is very shameful to live there and things need to change NOW!

Ismahaan   

Somaali caadi ma aha ciyaalka waaba iska dhalaan, lacagtana ayuuto ku galaan. Ilmaha maxaay u dhalaayaan hadii aaysan korsan karin, cajiib.

Blessed   

I can't watch the video but the related reading is disturbing enough, so sad his older sister is part of the mess too-- certainly failure on part of parents. Raise your kids on handouts, they'll always look for easy money.. Allow u-Sahal dadkeena, halkay dantu ku jirto waa in la eegaa.

Aaliyyah   

ilaahay ha u naxaristo marxuumka.

But, I think this is also one of the topics we abused in sol over the years. There is not much that can be done. Every parent should take their responsibility seriously and if they don't then they will definitely see the consequences of it unless ilaahay u hadeeyo caruurtooda..walidka kaliya ee hada qurba ilma ku korinaya kaga baxaya wa ka ilmahiisa sifiican gacan fiican ku haya oo la socda waxkasta oo ay qabanayaan oo la hadlaya caruurtooda oo la shekesanaya oo og ilmahooda waxkasta uu sameeyo...like many of you said somalida caruurta way iska dhalaan waxna kama oga.Saddd!!!!

salaam

The Zack   

"You can't watch the video because you live outside of Kanada" is what I got when I tried to watch this video, KK. Nevertheless, the story sounds very sad one, may allah have his mercy on this kid.

Out of the countless communities in Canada. Why do so many Somalis fail. That is the question you should be asking. Why in a country of opportunities do they descend into drug dealing and crime. Is the state of their ruined nation enough problematic for them.

Originally posted by Boom Boom:

It sucks that I have to be apart of this worthless community. So damn shameful to tell people my background.

lol! how about you do US a favour and not mention your background to people...the less self-loathing somalis out there, the better ;)

Somalina   

Indeed.

Allah ha u naxariisto Abdinasir, sabar iyo iman Allah ka siiyo reerkiisa.

KK, sida caruurta loo koriyo waa in loo bilaabaa the Somali parents, excuse kooda wuu dhamaadey 10 sanno ka hor. Kuwa parenthoodka ku cusub waa in laga bilaabaa sidey ila tahay, waa laga hortagi karaa ayaga intey goori goor tahay.

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by grasshopper:

quote:Originally posted by Boom Boom:

It sucks that I have to be apart of this worthless community. So damn shameful to tell people my background.

lol! how about you do US a favour and not mention your background to people...the less self-loathing somalis out there, the better
;)
Boom Boom, say walah. smile.gif

NASSIR   

Allaha u naxariisto. Very sad story.

I'm sure everyone knows Life in North America is very challenging and demanding and it needs a sophisticated, forward-looking plan and knowledge of how the system works. I believe most of our people in the Diaspora hardly know how to adopt or integrate into the society they had chosen to live with and start a better life without losing your core values. Somali communities and other social services sub-contracted to the community by local governments contribute more to the division of the Somali community along tribal lines and their expenditures hardly match their services.

A culture that is so pervasive in our community in the West is the family size. I heard some of our mothers even hire babysitters and sign illegal profit-sharing scheme with them as a standard method in order the exploit the employee and the system. They are engaged in immoral, religiously forbidden form of life

No progress is ever made from living on the earnings of hard-working people. Gabdhaheena soo koraaya ama single-ka ah waxbarta oo guursada nin aqoon leh, oo aanan waqtigiisa ku lumin qaad iyo Hookah.