Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

No such thing as a Swiss Muslim: A Muslim's perspective on banning the Minaret

Malika   

The articles reporting the rubbish uttered,only highlights their ignorance of the religion they object.The rubbish about Islam,confusing the religion and culture of some,kulaha 'forced marriages'..heh. Ignorance seems to be what they reason with,so pathetic!

Expected reaction from a xenophobic society which has now embarked on Islamphobic,nevertheless Islam is on top of their agenda and that is good,slowly and surely change will come.

We are here to stay... :D:D

Som@li   

If these kinda of actions are tolerated in Swiss and parts of Europe, it is alarming, more like the start of persecution of Jews in Europe.

Ban Minarets, Ban Mosques, Ban Islamic books, and finally Ban Muslims.

Cabdow   

Well said Malika....Indeed we are here to stay, however much the likes of LG dislike that or not. I'd say get use to it, and the sooner they realize that the better for everyone!

I really lost the respect I had for Switzerland and her great cities. It was one of my ideal, sensible nations I had admired.

Waa yaab, banning a minaret?? In this age???!!! In the centre of Yurub and one of its most "enlightened" nations doing this.

Berina masaajidka dhan ayaaba la mamnuuci doonaa. Do they think Muslims inay diintooda saan ugu joogsan doonaan? Maxaa diinteena suuban cadowtinimo loo qabaa.

Ibtisam   

Bit of an overreaction on the part of the Muslims. Lets review this constructively;

There are only just FOUR swiss mosques that have minarets the two main ones being in Geneva and Zurich and the Muslim population only make up 6% of a population of 7.5million. The Majority of that 6% are refugees from the Yugoslav wars (this has its own implications) My most important point is in Switzerland the call to prayer is banned so what is the use of fighting for a minaret. :confused:

In fact the function of the minaret has ceased to exist since the invention of Speakers, even those mosques that do have it- it is pointless decoration. So banning it won't harm the Muslims, but it proves how ill-educated the general public and the political figures are about Islam. For example the MP for the Swiss People's party thinks that "the minaret is the POWER symbol of Political Islam and Sharia Law" :D lol

I think it is a positive move even for the Muslims for the following reason:

- It further defines the lines between the communities- and all those hippies who think we can all hold hands can come out of their lala land

- Muslims particularly those who do not get involved in the political arena are forced to think about their role and significance in the west if any

- Muslims seriously start considering their future in the west and stop seeing these countries as home, if the west start making life a little bit more difficult for us. We either part take and fight for our slice in the political cake or we pack up and go.

- It forces the issues of Islam into the forefront of the media and the public agenda- but this time “the terrorist, watch out for the terrorist” screams are a distant over used memory- WE (as Muslims) can focus the debate on what is Islam- an opportunity to educate the masses.

Johnny B   

the function of the minaret has ceased to exist since the invention of Speakers.

It did cease indeed, but what irritates most here seems to be the symbolic state of the 'minarates'.

A 'minarate' in a non-arab or foreign land used to symbolize conquered, captureed land.

The rest is just letting Islam take its proper shape.

No churches or Tamples in SAUDI ARABIA i heard , sad that the Swiss-Muslims are FORCED to use the Speakers. :D

Ibtisam   

^^^The Swiss-Muslims speaker is only loud enough for people INSIDE to hear. In the UK you can hear the athan from 20mins walk away for all the prayers in the summer and in the winter at least 3 of the prayers.

BTW Johnny B, the west cannot point back at Muslims countries because remember We Muslims are the backward intolerant one's. We never claimed or pretended to be anything.

Also you are incorrect the minaret has NEVER symbolized conquered, captured land- I think you are confusing it with a flag maybe icon_razz.gif The purpose of the minaret was so that people can hear the athan when there were no microphone/ speakers and so that even people who were too far can see the imam up so high and know it was time for prayer.

I wonder why they picked on the minaret and not the DOME of a mosque. :D

-Lily-   

So the coward country of ‘neutrality’ has finally got an opinion on something?

Well said Ibti, I think I heard something similar in Holland a couple of years ago. Also, when our local mosque was being built there was a big debate in the community about how it would change the landscape of the town and that they wanted it to look like an ordinary building. A building is a building, I think we should be more concerned with the level of ignorance.

Malika   

Lily,

Switzerland has always been accused of its xenophobic culture,especially when it turned a blind eye on the persecution of the jews by Hitler,on grounds they didnt want to cause trouble in their land,but mostly was due to religion.

Johnny,

When was Switzerland the Vatican City?

Comparing,towns in Switzerland to Mecca is just ignorant.

Does this not also include church steeples? If so, why call a minaret ban? All in all, who cares, The masjid here in columbus is a former warehouse with fake persian carpets, and no minarets

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

quote:Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

I wonder why they picked on the minaret and not the DOME of a mosque.
:D

Domes are structural aesthetic. Minarets are political ambitious!
you are better than this abti .. would it kill you to come up with an original thought ... instead of regurgitating right wing slogans.

please intelligently explain to me how a minaret is politically ambitious ?

abti with friends like you, who needs enemies