Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

No such thing as a Swiss Muslim: A Muslim's perspective on banning the Minaret

Johnny B   

I stand corrected regarding the Symbol of the 'Minarate', and lest one can go against the fact that Mosques (minarates ) were built on those non-Muslim terrotories that were conquered and captured by Muslims,as a sign of 'iftitah', i'll have to swollow it hook, line, and sinker, because Ibti happens to think so.

True that the west should not point back at Muslims , since they're what they're , but let muslims have monopoly at pointing at the WEST for all it's shortcommings.

Malika,

How many churches , Hundu-temples, Budha-temples are in SAUDI ARABIA ( not mecca )? icon_razz.gif

Ibti,

Staying practiacal , what neccesiates the Minarates in say,Birminghamn and not in the Alpes?

Can you give me something more than what it politically symbolizes, given that Speakers do it's original job?!

Basically , it's good to see Democracy in action, but the darn idea collides with the very Swiss ( sorry , not the saudis )constitution.

Ibtisam   

^^^There is no point argue with one who thinks that Mosques= Minarets Johnny.

Also, maybe you missed my post- I don't think the minarets are of importance, political or otherwise. They had a purpose, the purpose is no longer needed, so it is irrelevant whether the swiss pass a law or not, the fact remains- we were not using it anyway. You cannot get upset over the banning of something that was not being utilized anyway. But it is a lessons for Muslims to get active and be participants to protect their interest, because otherwise things that matter and effect them will be banned.

Johnny B   

^^^There is no point argue with one who thinks that Mosques= Minarets Johnny.

Ideally, One'd think that there is even lesser point in arguing with one who can seperate A minarate from a Mosque.

Sad that you became poltician and left my Q un-answered. icon_razz.gif

Ibtisam   

^^You did not ask a question. I am not going to debate about a minaret.

There are million Mosques in the world without a minaret and shock horror they function normally. This is really a none-issue.

Ibtisam   

^^ So true , so true.

Neither am i gonna debate about the millions of minarates without Mosques, that function abnormally normal.

^^^You have seen minarets without MOSQUES that function?? :D:D loool you don't know wht they are do you? No wonder you keep spelling it wrong icon_razz.gif or maybe Eeeer you mean you saw a man standing and doing the athan on front lawn :D lol Id*ot foqol fool! :D

I'm with Ibti on this one.What bothers me is the level of sheer ignorance. It is embarassing. Let them ban it, as if that will stop people from building Masjids. What these people dont know is anything you try to spread lies about a religion, more and more intelligent people will want to do an honest research and come out enlightened.

ElPunto   

^To be quite honest - sheer ignorance doesn't bother me that much. It's quite common all around now especially Europe. What bothers me are all the apologists and those who pretend that this means nothing.

chubacka   

Call me short sighted but I can't see any good in this. It would have been a great triumph for common sense if it went the other way but its a sign of the times we are living in. Anything remotely islamic is seen as dangerous and alien.

Will probably have a referendum to ban frozen samosas next.

Malika   

^ :D ,that's talk of defeat my sister,why not look at what we have achieved so far,we have come a long way..There are mosques everywhere,Islamic schools everywhere in Europe today..Marka,why focus on minor set backs,when there are bigger achievements already taking place right across Europe..Islam after all is the fastest growing religion, its so visible in Europe..so a missing minaret here and there shouldn't be something we dwell on and on..Alhamdulillah!

N.O.R.F   

The banning of the Minaret might not be hindering one’s religious obligations like the Hijab/Niqaab ban is in France. However, one needs to look deeper into how the society has become so hostile to anything resembling Islam. 9/11 was a god-send (excuse the pun) to right wing European individuals and groups. They have been in over-drive ever since to try and wedge fear and hostility between non-Muslim and Muslim Europeans. That has worked in some parts of the continent.

The ‘Islamisation of Europe’ is the tool being used to drive their message. Too bad we have Muslims living 3000 miles away and have never been to Europe in open agreement with them.

Gabbal   

Here is my nearest Mosque here in the U.S. Maybe Layzie should lodge a complaint with the courts to ban the minaret. I would like to see if she gets past the clerks. smile.gif

341272343_bccda40106.jpg