Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

Lost Boys

N.O.R.F   

The crux of the issue here revolves around the definition of ‘a man’. It is not about family planning ya CG.

Cast your minds back to Somalia. How did fathers come across? Did they come across as men in all aspects of the word? Ie looked after their families, held steady jobs/businesses etc. How do they come across today in the west?

Boys had dreams of becoming someone. Doctors, engineers, accountants, civil servants etc. Can this be said of them today?

What happened? Why have our kids lost that desire to become men? To take responsibility etc

Chimera   

106,678 crimes a year are committed in the UK

CrimeStatsES_468x510.jpg

The Somali contribution is due to 'fraud or forgery reasons' not violent crimes

The few triggerhappy Somali men are the result of provocations by Afro-carribean & Asian gangs seeking to dominate them. I myself have had to walk my younger brother to school multiple times and threaten lowlife gangs bullying Somali kids. I've seen these same gangs jumping Somali guys who were minding there own business which then resulted in large fights

Corroboration

A group of Somali boys were sitting outside a cafe on Stratford Road in Birmingham talking about their experience of school. Modqtar, now 17, was beaten up twice a day and picked on for having poor English. The perpetrators were often Asian gangs.

Five years after his family fled Somalia, the teenager was petrified about travelling around his adopted homeland. 'I have to get two buses here, and two buses back. That is four chances of getting beaten up every day. They shout at us to go back to where we came from. But they are not from here either.' His friend Mustafa nodded sagely, adding: 'We get attacked by everyone in school - Asian gangs, white gangs, black Jamaicans. Everyone wants to fight us.-Source

When Somalis started showing their teeth these groups began keeping there distance and all of that anger build up by a few lost brothers is now being projected towards our community. But this does not equal 'whole community is lost'. Somali student achievement in certain parts of the country has risen ~50-60 % that's higher than any other group

The outlook for young Somalis is brightening. Lack of English among newly arrived refugees has prevented progress at school: a 1999 study of students in Camden, north London, found that just 3% got five good GCSE qualifications, compared with 48% of all students (and 21% of refugee children). But as the number of asylum seekers has plummeted, achievement has soared: in 2005 24% of Somalis in Camden got their five good passes.-Source

In 1998, no Somali students attained five or more GCSEs at grade C or above. In 2004, more than half were doing so. This turnaround has gone unreported amid the column inches devoted to immigration.

-Source

I applaud those brothers who are doing those evening routines and trying to inspire the few lost ones(the brothers in Finland are doing the same and i hope these patrols spread throughout the diaspora). Somali community leaders in the UK need to take the example of the leaders in the North American Somali communities and engage themselves in the political arena so that they can be a voice for our people or else non Somali immigrant groups will use this platform to scapegoat us.

example:

_38231765_khabra_bbc300.jpg

Piara Khabra says his constituents are fed up

Mr Khabra said: "There's a perception in the community that crime is being committed by the Somalis, those who came to settle in Southall particularly, I have been told, the youngsters."

Refutation of these lies & prejudged claims by the Police

Ealing Police said it was not appropriate to comment on one person's views, but officers do not believe Somali youths are to blame for the majority of street robberies

Other Police departments corroborate and agree

is hard to sort fact from fiction, as crime figures are broken down only by broad racial categories. Somalis have made the news for a few ruthless crimes, including the murder of Sharon Beshenivsky, a rookie police officer, in 2005. But police say these villains are unrepresentative. Paul Hurst, a police constable who has patrolled Toxteth's Somali neighbourhood for 21 years (and visited Somalia on a police bursary), reckons a hard core of about 30 Somali youths are active in car crime and low-level drug-dealing in the city. Nonetheless, crime in Somali “Tocky”, as Toxteth is known, is lower than in neighbouring Picton and Wavertree, and light-touch policing has kept the peace. A repeat of the bloody Toxteth riots of 1981, when local Afro-Caribbeans clashed with police, is unthinkable, everyone agrees.

-Source

Mr Khabra is the classic example of a spokes person representing a particular community who's interests are being threatened by a new group(Somali entrepreneurs have set up shop and are flourishing in places that were once considered their domain)

Somali men are not filling up the prisons of Britain as one member erroneously claimed, of every 1000 Somali men 1 is a violent criminal hence the Police in multiple parts of the country calls them 'insignificant'

Fraud and forgery the reason behind the high number of reported crimes done by Somalis cannot be blamed entirely on Somali men we all know fraud is Universal in the Somali community, the suspect could be a Hoyoo an Eedo an Adeer a Habiyar etc etc

I'm dissappointed with this documentary to be honest, though there have been cases of Somalis murdering other Somalis there is a higher number of Somalis being killed by non Somalis, he completely left this out of his report - nothing on the young brother Kayser Osman nothing on the 16 year old Abdul Kadir Maye? why was there nothing on the 12 year old Abdirizak Hamza? he was my brothers age does he not deserve the same attention? what about the 14 year old Mohammed Ahmed Hussain?,what about Abukah Mahmoud? do not piss me off and tell me these compatriots were 'lost boys' they had a whole future ahead of them and now there friends are being pushed into a corner by non Somalis where they have to adapt to a lifestyle that ultimately will lead to failure, my siblings would have taken this path had i not spotted this pattern at a early stage and intervened

You can dismiss everything i have typed down and continue the ''Somalis are this Somalis are that'' routine without analyzing the problems Somali youth face(and why they according to Police and other institutions are the most victimized group in the UK and need to be protected) but this will not change the situation on the ground, the only thing you will have succeeded in is showcasing what kind of hardheaded... no i'm gonna stop here before i say something foolish and log off i swear to god these comments have angered me.

NinBrown   

This is nothing to do with family planning and young girls wanting to get married and have kids...

You see in the UK we Somalians live in the poorest parts and have high unemployment rates and those of who work do most menial jobs (there is the opposite, however that is the majority)...how do you expect Somali boys to be different from other black boys, if they live and play together and go to the same school.

How can a Somali boy aspire to be a pilot, doctor, engineer if he has never met one. how can they do well in school if there is no one to control and help them with the school work. How can they grow up to be respectible men if their fathers get no respect...i dont know.

Worse still the few Somalians who do well, seperate themselves from the rest and not encourage and mix with them...I was trying to organise a careers day for Somali youths in our local mosque...it was so hard to get somali proffesionals to come and participate.

Anyhow...lets stop procastinating and start doing soemthing...however little.

sorry about my rant

N.O.R.F   

You dont need to meet a pilot or doctor to be inspired to become one ya Nino. There just doesnt seem to be an urge among teenagers. Ask them what they want to be and its usual 'erm I dont know, ya get me?'.

NinBrown, where are the somalians I've never met one, are they related to the somali people in anyway icon_razz.gif --

Yes the issue is complex but it really comes down whether your talking about forming or remoulding a society, I'm in agreement with Rahima and Promegranate on this one.

-Lily-   

The Point, this nonsense of ‘opportunity’ is what everyone keeps throwing at these youths. Have they been raised to appreciate what an opportunity is? Or is their version of an opportunity pick pocketing the elderly man at the bus stop for some cigarettes?

Family planning IS central because before you reach this ‘adulthood’ of 15 to whatever age you need a basic foundation. You need a parent who has the time & patience to show you the ropes. Being realistic, the teenagers go largely unchecked because the parents, usually the mothers, are too busy with the young ones. Being thought right from wrong starts from 2 if not younger. There is this prevalent idea that kids ‘wey iska korayan’. No the hell they won’t.

Rahima, I fully agree. I see a lot of young married couples that aim to get government housing, even though they could really afford to(perhaps with some struggle) go private.

Africanus, I noticed that trend too, and all it does is make the situation worse. How can a person who can't help himself be expected to be responsible for others? It's beyond me really.

Malika   

Parenting is one hell of a task to undertake,one is responsible to teach,nurture and fend for their children until off age.So these 16-50yr olds that seem to be lost didnt just wake up one day and decided to be what they are,along the line somewhere someone let them down.

I believe re educating the community in parenting skills is essential.Parents need to understand what it would take for their children to be sucessful in life.

One of a greater crime a parent can commit against his/her own child is never to teach the child responsibility.A basic household chores are a great tool for teaching children responsibilities,they are responsible for making sure dishes are washed,food is cooked.Allowing your child to be a productive member of the household isnt an act of abuse but one that your child will one day be thankful for.Giving your child responsibilities to take part in budgeting,planning for the future of the family give the child a greater insight into reality.

I am grateful for my mother's tough love policies she had on all of us,it didnt matter if you were a boy or a girl.By certain age you had a responsibility in the home and you better had taken it.By the age of 15 she made sure we understood what it took for us to have all the luxury we had,she made us work in her hotels..I owe her big time,through those lessons in her household one had been able to cope,survive and sucessed in living a productive life.

Ofcourse for the case in the west,the more children you have the more welfare benefit you reap,unfortunately nothing comes for free in life along the line your bond to loose.

N.O.R.F   

Parents need to understand what it would take for their children to be sucessful in life.

I think you hit something here Dahia.

Alot of parents just do not understand the processes involved in School>>Uni>>>Work and what kids need to get there.

me   

Originally posted by Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale:

106,678 crimes a year are committed in the UK

CrimeStatsES_468x510.jpg

Somalis beat Nigerians in crime stats? acuudu bilaah.

Either there are more Somali criminals or Somali criminals are istubidh and get cought more often, both is nothing to be happy about.

me   

^Still more Somalis are being accused then Nigerians......the most criminal nation on earth.

Blessed   

There's no denying that poverty, unemployment, discrimination is schools, large families, urban culture, lack of role models, upbringing, etc, etc, etc... are all contributing factors.

However, the bottom line is those boys choose to live that life. Many of them live double / confused lives where they are sweet shy boys at home and monsters in the streets. Honestly, I've worked in Behaviour Improvement Programmes and I used to get kids who'd ask to pray in our offices on Fridays but then I’d get reports from their teachers complaining about some the most unbelievable behaviours and attitudes.

Most of them find the thuggery and ********* that we see as cool, they aspire to be bad men. On the other hand, their friends, brothers, cousins and sisters who were brought up in the same houses and neighbourhoods, have and do make the choice to take a different path, and succeed.

I agree, that we should do our utmost to help these kids, failies to pay more attention, more youth clubs, involvement in schools and mentoring schemes but at the end of the day, you can't force a horse to drink.

me, that's another BS statement

i don't know about you but most Nigerians i know are extremely hard working and high achieving (and lets not forget loud) people. In the UK, the public health sector would crawl to halt without them. If you go to the big private institutions, typically the few black people they have in high-office tend to nigerian

Ibtisam   

^^^I second that, I have only met one crook Nigerian and I've met many, on the other hand I've met few Somali crooks and I've only met few Somali's.

The figure for the Somali accused is a lot more than I would have expected.

P.s. CG Looks like someone is having a holiday rather than working. :rolleyes: I don’t think you’ve posted this much in a while.