Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

Lost Boys

Pujah   

Maybe these ‘lost boys’ are the product of boyz will be boyz mentality. Somali parents give their boys free pass to roam around the streets unsupervised because they're 'boys' and can suposedly take care of themselves.

the point,

really i don't have the inclination or energy to argue this point, so lets just set the facts straight smile.gif

1. on the family planning issue -- your wrong

2. on the individual responsibility -- you have a slight point, but it requires us to detach the individual from the effect of their environment

3. the fatherhood things, -- ask your self, what kind of father figures did these men have?

lazy,

i have made my apology to the dear mr smith, i just think he should customise his message to his audience -- as for the community leaders. you have a point, sadly you need less cynical lot than this bunch ;)

-Lily-   

The Point, I agree that not everyone has to be an engineer or a doctor (very boring professions) and that it’s more important to be caring, compassionate and productive human beings. I think Dahia mentioned an important point when she said parents need parenting help, using the same methods that their parents back home used will definitely not get them far.

This idea that at 15 you are an adult does not have as much weight as it used to. Culturally and Islamicaly we were repeatedly told you were either ‘qaan gaar’ or a young adult by that age but when you live in a culture where being 15 is like being 12, in fact you are encouraged to be a ‘teenager’ and ‘take it easy’ well into your late 20s it's a different picture.

Layzie, I think you should test it out locally first and start small, maybe with a mentoring service that goes beyond education, kind of like social work with 'risk youths'.

Bless you then!

Ps why don’t you start one soon as a New Year resolution?

Ps.s am incapable of it lol I volunteered to a somali community that deals with disadvantaged boys once well after the first day I never went back……

Malika   

CL..Lol,did they scare you?

Honestly they give it all,but once you get to know them they are kittens,desparate for someone to nurture /guide them.

The most effective way to reach out is to be a volunteer in schools.Nothing beats that feeling of seeing a troubled young man change his ways and embracing his future.There is a great demand for interventions are in schools,that is where you can do the most.You become an advocate for them,the voice that stands for their rights,their needs etc.A helping hand that stirs them to the right path by counselling,advicing etc.

Lol! Well I wish I could give you a great story but the truth is they scared me and am sure there kittens once you get to know them I mean that’s what I was told but sadly I just could not pass through my own prejudice against them….i once went with a friend, she deals with helping young somali girls in east London who are the lost generation if you ask me off the streets by organising activities for them etc well meet them too …..Well I didn’t want to see them ever again…

Ps am way too selfish to volunteer