Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Is the Somali nature to be a clown?

Peacenow   

I want to give my take on one of the most foul traits I have seen in Somalis. I can't say this has been recent, because I have seen these traits for a long time. I'm talking about the use of persistent foul language and in general a thuggish attitude and persona, one gives.

What gives? When young people to the people who have power. Resort to crude languages that serves no purpose other than to show their lack of education. Every other word is laced with a cocktail of bad words that means that conversations, meetings, interviews, turn into arguments and fist fights.

A so-called government minister is interviewed in a international channel and displays ''clownish'' behavior unseen in other people. Personally insults the host women and is seen shouting into the mike. His voice oblivious to others that are trying to engage him.

What must people think? Is this how we really are?

Last week, I was watching BBC report on Rwanda. They were interviewing people, including government minister.

Everyone of them, spoke in a clear, lucent manner, where they chose their words carefully- that left me very impressed.

I can only put forward a clear reason for this and that is a lack of education. It is very important today, that we can put forward the best possible name and image for Somalia/Somalis that we can, it is the least we can do. I think we owe it to ourselves to speak in a clear and articulate way that projects a good impression.

me   

It seems like the place is being overrun by Somali haters. First they hijack the seven wonders thread, now this one.....kick'em while they down huh? Umad dhan ayaad si xun uga hadashay peacenow.

me   

^is this what you call a debate? Are we debating the clownish nature of the Somali? Their foul traits? Waad caytamaysaa sxb, this is no debate.

Saabir   

Peace-now has a point there, as long as we dont recognize our weak points and address them we wont reach anywhere. We are a nation that always boasts itself as being the best of all and our behaviours say completely the opposite. We have a problem in the somali personality and we have to correct it.

Saabir   

Peace-now has a point there, as long as we dont recognize our weak points and address them we wont reach anywhere. We are a nation that always boasts itself as being the best of all and our behaviours say completely the opposite. We have a problem in the somali personality and we have to correct it.

-Lily-   

^^^I am Somali and I have no problems that stem from my Somalinimo that mark me out as different.

Peacenow, there may be characters that as Somalis we should not be proud of, but then all people from all nations have within them negative characteristics. Is it not educated UN Peacekeepers that abuse children whose parents cannot afford food? Is it not American Soldiers that abuse and murder innocent civillians? Does that mean all Americans are bad? All UN workers?

Just because certain ethnic groups are highly visible, and their crime rate exaggerated by a media with its own immigration policy, you should not make a sweeping generalization. Your comment, is the Somali clownish by nature is reminiscent of slave traders who claimed Negros were some how less human or less intelligent and thus incapable of being the masters of their own destiny. It also reeks of Naziesque undertones.

If you have a problem with certain Somali profiles by all means be more specific. Otherwise spare us.

Tahliil   

PeaceNow: please expand your horizons a little bit more...this lumpin up all people of various chracters everywhere and assuming as you did to be foul and rude and labeling that contention in the process as a Somali trait is just unequitably wrong and frankly as someone before me said it lacks all sort of 'crediblity' to honor it with an honest answer.

It is a baseless defamation of a people and nation who produced bro such fine individuals like Adan Cade and Muse Galaal and Caalin and Hadraawe and Abyan and Elmi Boddheri and probably and hopefully your own father among that fine mix..etc.

Modesty   

Like I said, you are worshipping the anglo man, get real and stop judging people...I'm sure you're not perfect. ALthough I agree that some youngesters have taken HIP HOP to be "real" and act like gaalos.

Khalaf   

Peacenow, there may be characters that as Somalis we should not be proud of, but then all people from all nations have within them negative characteristics.

there are no nationalities, i can't think of any nationalities and their women, except maybe the African American women that cause more diib iyo qaaylo, daagal then some somali women. They are the only Muslim women with hijabs, jilbabs in public that beat the hell out of each other....and in public, even in masjids........no other muslims do that...cajiib...yeah there was big fight today that is why i brought this topic back...walalhi these ppl are dumb as hell.

respect ur deen if u have symobols of islam on.