Sign in to follow this  
Jurnee

LIVE 8

I'm not really sure a concert will move the world leaders to commit to any drastic policy change. Take the example of the Iraqi war, they held the biggest anti-war demonstration in Britain's history and the world's opposition to this war was overwhelming. Yet it took a single meeting to override the wishes of millions of people. Those demonstrations across the world didn't affect anything, it didn't alter a single item on Blair's agenda. In the past, not many leaders in a democracy would oppose their own people for fear repraisals at the next election, Often they were criticised for caring too much about public opinion. However, after it was announced that Britain and US would go to war against Iraq, I realised we live in a world where public opinion doesn't matter, and that today's leaders are confident that we are powerless to stop them.

You know why? Because as passionate as we are about fad subjects, we also have a very short memory span.

That's why world leaders will never commit any serious effort to help Africa, because they know we won't care in a couple of months. So they'll look sad at the pictures of starving children, add a little more to the paltry aid already given to dictators and wait this fad out.

Bush already said that he would always put US interests first (as if he ever did anything else), and therefor we'll never get anything done in Africa. To eradicate poverty is NOT in US interests, because the efforts demanded of US economic policy would be much more than the financial rewards. So this will never happen. I think Africa is on its own, but I also do think that Africa can build the foundations to get rid of poverty, it is within their power, but do we have any leaders who will take that responsibility and put their country first?

On a different note, Live 8 must have been the greatest concert ever, I seriously envy all those who managed to get there, you lucky buggers. I was listening to Live 8 on tv and radio while at work, and it sounded awesome. I have to admit I wasn't too bothered about Live 8, I thought it would have a line-up of those typical lousy popstars who degraded their way up the charts through tv talent-contests. Boy how wrong I was, what a line-up, it only every band I ever liked.

How amazing was U2??????!!!

I got goosebumps just listening to that. And Razorlight, my current favorite new band, they were awesome. I can't believe I didn't make any effort to get the tickets, if I had known who would be performing, I would have gladly robbed a bank to get my hands on a £600 ticket.

Originally posted by Athena:

^

23255368_9aed4dbeed.jpg?v=0

I know its bad pic and even unclear.... but....

He is just a beautiful man. I dont think I heard or understood or even if it really mattered what he said. The fact that he was there was good enough.
smile.gif

Oooh, how lucky you are to breathe the same air as Brad Pitt. I bet the trees in Hyde Park looked a little prettier after basking in his presence. :D

N.O.R.F   

a load of BS!

So we get a concert every 20 yrs to highlite Africa's perilous situation.I guess it's better than nothing,but I think this whole thing will be forgotten very soon and little or nothing worthwhile will be done to alleviate the suffering of the African population

But hey we got a free concert on TV with many stars performing :rolleyes:

NOTHING WILL CHANGE

Norf: LoL..Luv the optimism.

Live8 was less about collecting hand-outs for Africa and more about raising awareness - of the abject poverty people live in; of the dozens of disease epidemics currently holding the continent in its grip; of the mortifyingly high rate of infant deaths; of the starvation of so many people when so much food is produced and wasted in richer countries; of the hopelessness, pain and oppression affecting millions of people; of the simplicity of the solutions - Debt cancellation, fair terms of trade, arms embargos on highly volatile states and the free exchange of knowledge (technical, scientific..etc).

Has Live8 done the job they set out to do? Yes, because billions of people took part in or watched the events. A lot more people are now aware of the struggles of Africa and the role the international community has had in those struggles.

Can the G8 do something about these issues? Yes.

Will they? Possibly not.

Is the tide changing? I think so.

Contrary to popular belief, Africans aren't helpless or passive to their circumstances. The largest investers in Africa, the most hardened and irrepressible activists and the main agents of change are ALL AFRICANS. The African Diaspora is the biggest donor to Africa, sending billions of Dollars back home every year. Those campaigning and facilitating for change at a grassroots level are Africans. Those risking their lives at the forefront, fighting for transparent and clean political processes and good governance are AFRICANS.

Africa is dynamic, resilient and blessed with untold riches (which, unfortunately, are being pilfered at an alarming rate). Yes, it has been plagued by conflict, disease, corruption and lack of economic growth; and yes these are major blows, but she'll recover. She's strong and so are her people.

N.O.R.F   

^^true, awareness has been raised through Live8, but there is alot of misplaced optimism going around, when the G8 all say they will be providing more in Aid, alot of ppl will think that the jobs achieved :rolleyes: but into whos coffers will they be going into? and who supports these corrupt govnt? the G8!

ps the Coldplay performance was impressive :cool:

Sky   

^

23255368_9aed4dbeed.jpg?v=0

I know its bad pic and even unclear.... but....

He is just a beautiful man. I dont think I heard or understood or even if it really mattered what he said. The fact that he was there was good enough.
smile.gif

Are you girls crazy? Ive never seen such an ugly human being in my entire life! Look at him, he looks like he never heard of vitamins.

^ Is that so oh-so-handsome-Sky. Why dont you show us what a vitamin enriched man looks like..eh? I dare you.

Brad is the Adonis of our time. Such presence! proportion! grace! radiance! What a man! :D

XU, they were. they were. :D

Brad is that Adonis of our time. Such presence! proportion! grace! radiance!
What a man!
:D

Sounds like you're about to break into song. :D

PS: Oh yes, Brad Pitt is excruciatingly beautiful. No doubt about THAT. :cool:

nafta   

Athena...a bad pic??!! That was as good as any...it's even better because it was taken live!! Girl you made my day, week, month...much obliged ;)

Now do excuse me while I ogle some more .... sigh

Baluug   

Bloody Brad Pitt....The worst thing is that it's not his fault he's so annoying,it's his female fans and their "oohs" and "aahs" that make him annoying.But he played a good serial killer in "Kalifornia",I'll give him that much!

Baluug   

Originally posted by Zephyrine:

16.jpg

Sing, sing, sing...

"
Bollocks to Poverty"

Who the hell is this guy anyways?

Hmmm...could have sworn I posted a pic of lovely Fran Healy from Travis...

Oh never mind.

Liiban,

That's Tom Chaplin, the lead singer of Keane. Not your type of music am guessing.