Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Obama campaign says New Yorker cartoon goes too far

Baashi   

^Comes with the territory. I expect more of these kind of "attacks" from both media and GOP operatives.

Pujah   

To the corporate media, Obama is black and McCain is white

Ben Smith from Politico writes: "I'm a little on the fence here. It's obviously satire, made clearer by the fact that the New Yorker is a deeply friendly publication to Obama and the Democrats these days. So is the outrage -- encouraged here by the campaign -- an appropriate reaction? Or the new, pro-Obama PC? (If the latter, all's fair on the campaign trail in any case... but it could prove a worryingly powerful tool used from the White House.)"

I like Ben, but I don't recall any such concern when his own story from two weeks ago was used by the McCain campaign, and corporate media pundits like Mrs. Greenspan and others, to repeatedly eviscerate Wesley Clark and me, among others, for questioning the connection between John McCain's wartime experience and whatever qualifications he may or may not have as commander in chief. We're told that it looks an awful lot like pro-Obama PC to object to the depiction of Mrs. Obama as some blackxploitation gunslinger, of Senator Obama as a look-alike for Osama, of both as flag burners who would defile the Oval Office. Depicting Obama and his wife in this offensive, stereotypical, and borderline racist manner is okay and fair game because, as Ben says, "all's fair on the campaign trail." But, as we learned just two weeks ago, asking questions and drawing conclusions about actual experiences from John McCain's life, and their impact on his qualifications for president, is beyond the pale, gutter politics, and downright un-American.

And what's worse - no one in the corporate media suggested that it was pro-McCain PC when the pundits-that-be declared McCain's military record, and more generally his qualifications as commander in chief, whiter than the driven snow and totally off-limits to any criticism or even questioning. All is not fair, by any means, when John McCain is the topic.

It's the classic problem of American journalism, and American society, vis-a-vis Democrats and the left. Tangentially suggest that getting shot down doesn't necessarily qualify John McCain to be president and you are the one who hates America. There's no discussion, no debate. The question simply cannot be asked because the conclusion is "obvious" and unworthy of debate, and debate itself is deemed offensive. But portray Barack Obama and his wife as a walking racial - nay, racist - stereotype, and it's not just acceptable, but anyone who would question the propriety of such a portrayal is, again, un-American.

Criticize McCain, you're un-American. Defend Obama, you're un-American.

Now, imagine had Barack Obama said that he didn't love his country until he was a 30-something. Do you think Obama would face criticism? Do you honestly think he'd even survive as a candidate in post 9/11 America? And then imagine were John McCain mocked on the cover of the New Yorker, dressed in POW garb, with a drug addicted, pill popping, gun-toting wife and depicted in a manner that suggested that he loves Osama bin Laden and hates America. Would the corporate media be talking about pro-McCain PC-ists who can't take a joke? Or would the New Yorker get Dixie Chicked?

Source

What now, the obama's dont have a sense of humor?

As a long time GOP supporter put it;

"I think it's pretty comical," DiMaggio, 84, said. "I don't know much about his background, but he's not going to win anyway. This won't change that."

Conservatives all over have spoken, cartoon or not.

When it comes down to it, cadaanka will vote for their ailing white man over the black man. Soomaaliyaal, please dont lose your sleep over him. He doesn't even want your hijab wearing ladies anywhere near his rallies or the sight of your gardheere brothers.

chubacka   

the tragedy of this is that it isn't funny!

Did they really think anyone would laugh and think "Ahhh, thats satire done well"

At best its a misguided (perhaps too) subtle joke, at worse its racist and swimming in dangerous waters.

Nevertheless Obama has a great chance in Nov.

STOIC   

When it comes down to it, cadaanka will vote for their ailing white man over the black man. Soomaaliyaal, please dont lose your sleep over him. He doesn't even want your hijab wearing ladies anywhere near his rallies or the sight of your gardheere brothers.

Do you realize the absence of logic in your above statement about Obama and Somalis (including me AND anyone who supports him). Why do you always find yourself so wise and so superior in your judgments? Do you think that people will buy your above statements without contestation? You can not get anyone to “see” things the way you wanted it. If you are serious about debating about Obama issues then you are more than welcome, but stop patronizing people who support things that you don’t see it to your liking. Sometimes whenever I read your comments I love to tell you to go and run to the nearest store and buy a concave mirror and position yourself in a different position to have a great view of how ridiculous you make out of yourself.

Jamster   

If you try to explain irony then it has failed it's purpose! this is a classic example of this failure. These guys had to issue a press release in order to explain the cartoon!

It has began; I hope he can handle it.

^actually, if they tweaked the piece here and there, it could have turned out to be a great satirical piece.

Pujah, that mccain bit is funny, and if they got rid of the flag burning, instead maybe showed Obama stepping on his flag pin or something?

Stoic, wallaalo, because I like you I will try my best not to be as rude as you have been above.

First of all, I am not obama, therefore you should direct your anger at him and not me. Remember eedo, I wasn't the one who refused to sit the hijab wearing females behind the stage in michigan. That was your "babyboy" obama. I did not try my best to avoid meeting with some of the muslim leaders in some of the biggest communities in the united states, and instead did my best to appease the jews and the christian evangelical communities, that was your babyboy obama.(word has it he even went and sat with the catholics)

That said, I believe I was right to summarize your man's actions towards the muslims. I believe that it is a waste of time and effort on your part to support a politician who is trying his best to distance himself from the everything you are, a muslim man.

Your man has become the very thing he was preaching against, a divider.

Truly, you will be disappointed one day soon, but as a muslim woman, my obligation is to the well being of my muslim people, including you stoic. Don't be hard on me, I am just doing the sisterly thing here. ;) (let us hold hands now and say together "A change we believe in")

STOIC   

Lazy girl,

First don’t take an umbrage with my previous words (I know you wouldn’t you are smarter than that).What ticked me of was how your words was dripping with sarcasm (and still is with your above response).Your charge against Obama and my support of him is everyday thing I hear from some close Muslim friends. Obama will betray my trust in him as a Muslim, no doubt about it, but I still I firmly support Obama come scurrilous attack on him or not. Ironically I still support Obama even after he has “Insulted Hijabis” by not seating them on the front (though it wasn’t even him that did this, but his volunteers). In retrospect Obama has to distance himself from Muslims by convincing the ignoramus Americans that he is not a Muslim, but a Christian like them. I believe in Obama buoyancy of his spirit and his character. You can question why as a Muslim I support Obama who is a Christian, but so is every leader in this western world. While you can describe him as a Muslim hater I still believe describing him in that context is weak casts of his character.I believe (as someone who will spend the rest of his life in America) Obama will be the guy who will bridge the gap of leadership in America by proofing to my future kids that a kid from Hawaii with a dad from Kenya can go as far as he did-only in America! As with any politician Obama has to find a mélange of various approaches to propel him to the highest office.

Horta, i wish i could draw like that. And umm....is it that time of the year to take out the Osama card out again?

It died for awhile.....and now it's back again. Meh! whatever.