Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

Black Gold in Africa: Somalia

Thierry.   

I was looking for some info on Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Africa for my Postgrad Thesis, when I typed FDI in youtube. I have heard that Africa is becoming a booming oil business and that is one of the reasons for the new Africom base. But according to this guy Somalia has one of the highest untouched reserves in Africa.

watch it

and then we can discuss the potential economic gains and development.

Curly   

I don't buy it, looks like a hoax to me. As caano geel said, the guy couldn’t even read the news. The whole thing came across as one of those American "click here for a full report for only $29.99" schemes.

There probably are some types of natural resources in Somalia but I doubt we would ever find out, while the country is in the state it is.

Although I do remember hearing, that Somaliland had signed over land to Amoco for exploration purposes. How true this on the other hand, I wouldn’t know.

Either way you might find this article from the Los Angeles Times interesting.

http://www.netnomad.com/fineman.html

wc sue! according to most studies done so far, gas and oil are there.

where ever u see americans fighting, u can bet your last dime, oil is involved.

N.O.R.F   

Saudi Arabia gave Somalia oil for FREE in the 70s/80s. Somalia signed off contracts with Chevron, Conoco and others to explore but then the civil war occured.

Queston: Why was the KSA giving Somalia oil for free? Is it because it (Somalia) has large reserves and they didnt want Somalia to explore?

No doubt, Somalia has exploitable natural resources but then there is no somali people that can exploit these resources as fully as possible coz they are in brian death situation busy with other stuff and got stuck up somewhere in 18th century.

May Allah unite them again!

YES ,,,, We are full of oil that is why Arabs don't want us to exploit our oil coz their market will collapse.

YES,, there is oil and some other resources, that is why America is there and that is why somalia has a civil war gooing on.

as usual ,, dadkiina way ka gaajoonayaan

Thierry.   

I have to admit the guy looks dodgy and like CG said the guy cant even read a news cast let alone give us investment advise. but several other sources have agreed with the natural resources issue

I think we have to be honest with our selves if there is abundance of natural resources there, then no way is the US going to leave SOmalia alone unless it gets its lions share.

So we have to accomodate the "superpowers"

Notherner I did not know about Somalia getting oil for free, but it does make sense.

Sue thanks for the article and welcome back where have you been all these years

FatB   

ah the lure of the black gold, it can turne any heart as black as a lightless night.....

personally i hope that nothing is found.