Sign in to follow this  
Nazra

What Is Your Income?

Nazra   

No, this topic is not about how much you make or how little you make.

Sorry, that’s not me. I don’t ask questions like that.

I get offended when anyone asks me that as matter of fact.

I’m in my late teens and I have grown up in a western country but I’m still a traditional Somali Girl.

One thing I hate is when anyone asks me how much I earn. I now understand that this is apart of the Somali culture, which is to show of how much you earn.

Is their a need to ask anyone how much they make???

What is your aim when you ask someone how much he or she makes?

Do you ever get offended when someone asks you that?

Who do you ask?

When I had my full time summer job, everyone knew my income and if they didn’t they would ask. Fine, I was getting paid A LOT, never in my life have I ever been paid so much smile.gif .

A distance family member asked me how much I earn, when I told her. She was shocked :eek: . Shocked at the fact that it was almost the same as her income with four kids she received from the government as a single mother. She felt awful for being a housewife and knowing how much she can make and how young I am for doing that.

Currently: she's gone job hunting :D

Not only that, I got really ticked off when another family member asked me how much I make. Lets not forget this time I was doing my first year in uni, quit my job and was receiving government money (still am). The sad case was that they knew that, yet they wanted to be informed about my student welfare money.

What got me thinking about this topic was, when this dude asked me how much I make :eek: . I mean he was flirting with me and all, and he knows it’s my summer job. But I didn’t feel comfortable. Of course times like these you are put on the spot and you have no option :mad: .

Fine, I might send the wrong signals out to people. So what? My Louis Vuitton bag is real. So what??? I wear Gucci. If it helps, my Chanel bag is fake. The Dhahab I wear at weddings belong to aunt Fatima, and aunt Leyla who wear ten-meter hijab.

That big ring on my finger...baby it ain’t diamond it’s Cubic Zirconia.

I hate people who ask this question especially when they are: spinsters waiting to be married off, a married mother who rips the of the government(claiming she is single), a guy flirting with you, eeeeeeehhhhhhhhh lets just say anyone that asks. I would just have to include them in this category or simply classify them in another category.

I just don’t how to say politely: "it ain’t your business how much I make". Distance family members tell it to the community or they want to know for whatever reason.

I just hate the Green Eyed Monsters out there, envying me and dying with jealousy and this can create animosity from their side.

Scary yeah... i know

I want to break this tradition. I hate ppl asking me that. I don’t so why do you???

N.O.R.F   

Its a very common aspect about Somalis to ask how much you earn or how much was this or that, just say alxamdullilah and they will get the idea, if they persist you should come up with a question of your own, like why do you care?

WOL: could be your first victim :D

Nazra   

Warrior, Like i said, this topic is not about how much I or YOU earn.

Plus i would have to use that currency change calulator for all nationalities of Somaliaonline.

People think i earn alot, because everyone in my family is well known. (nationally and internationally). :confused: i think thats the reason in a way!

All my siblings have graduted from uni, everyone is doing a degree or holding down a good job. I think it runs in da family.

Horta, what was that Somali saying...

Qof is faanshay waa ri is nuugtay? Soming like dat?

Anyhow, Nazra, it sounds like YOU are the one with the fixation on your income. If you brag, people will naturally enquire.

Castro   

Nazra, sounds like you're a big fish in a small pond. Stop hanging around underpaid people. May be then you'll see how much you're really making. And no matter how much you make in summer job, a Louis Vutton bag or bra is gonna make you go broke quick.

I'm happy for you making a "LOT" of money. Funny, when I was younger and I look back at what I thought then to be a lot of money, won't even pay my kids day care and diaper costs. It's all relative. I hope you make even more in the future to get all the Gucci and (real) Chanel you need. Inshallah.

Foxy   

Zephy......

The saying I heard was "Ha isfaanin ee ha lugu faanshee"......i dont know if its widely used tho......

cheers

PS I dont see the need to disclose the amount i earned last financial year ...., but it was a decent package, cant complain ---alxamdulilaah

cheers

Sky   

Somalis and money; bad combination. Stick to your camels please.

If asked about my income, I'll just politely avoid the question by joking; "Well definetily more than you." Believe me they won't bring it up after that. They'll get the message.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Nazra:

What got me thinking about this topic was, when this dude asked me how much I make :eek: . I mean he was flirting with me and all, and he knows it’s my summer job.

New twist on an old theme, the "gold digger" used to be thought of as the young girl who chased the older richer guy. Nimankii Aqli bay nagu yeesheen, ma tiri? :D Xitaa they purposely foget their wallet on dates.

Celebrate your financial independence lil Nazra.

Song of the Day:

How you feel about a girl like this

Try to control me, boy you'll get dismissed

Do what I want, live how I wanna live

Buy my own diamonds, and I pay my own bills

Please don't call me baby, cuz I'll call you

Don't mean to hurt your feelings, got a lot to do

Cuz I am my number one priority

No falling in love, no commitment from me

Ladies take control, Don't depend on no man to give you what you want.

All my independent women, throw dem hands up at me

And all my sexy women, throw dem hands up at me

All my money making women, throw dem hands up at me

WHOA!

Baluug   

Originally posted by Castro:

Funny, when I was younger and I look back at what I thought then to be a lot of money, won't even pay my kids day care and diaper costs.

Beentaamaha.I remember getting my first paycheck.A whole $300!!I thought I was a baller then!LOL

As for people asking me how much I make,I don't care.$17.65/hr plus a clothing allowance(for uniforms,i guess)of 4.75/week,and 60 cents/hr company paid RRSP contributions.Works out to almost $40000/year.Plus lots and lots of overtime!!Not bad for unskilled labour.

Baashi   

And no one saves like Lion Teaser Jr :D

Lacageeeeeeeeeeeeey lalalan, lacageey,

lurkeedii habeenadan hurdo ladabi waayee :mad:

Libaax show me the green.