Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

Turkish Girl Buried Alive

ailamos   

Originally posted by Valenteenah.:

I think there needs to be a distinction between the religion and those who practice it. Islam
is
perfect. Muslims, not so. In the matter of honour killings, they are ingrained in some Eastern cultures and have been practiced long before Islam.

I see your point and I'm glad you're not resorting to attacks. That distinction is a blurry one at best because the way a religion is judged would be by the actions of it's adherents no?

N.O.R.F   

It's really difficult for you to admit that these practices exist in Muslim communities, isn't it? When will you stop sweeping things under the rug and lying to yourself that Islam, judging by its adherents, is NOT a perfect religion.

Why not differenciate between Muslims and their actions and Islam itself? Or are they one and the same to you?

ailamos   

^ Nor, even if Islam is perfect as you say, how do you get that perfection to be reflected amongst its followers? I think no religion has ever got that right, except maybe Buddhism?? No se!

Abtigiis   

I think this is a healthy discussion and not anti-Islam. waxanoo kale waa la is waydiin karaa, waana in qofka su'aasha soo qaasay laga qanciyaa. Why? because there is a common departure point: we all agree such killings are inhumane, and hence we ask why do they happen and who sanctions them?

Ailamos raised a good point in saying that how a religion is judged would be by the actions of its adherents. I fully agree with it. But I need to qualify a bit and add 'by the actions of the overwhelming majority of its adherents'.

Now, does ailamos agree that these stories of honour killings even when they are done under the cover of sharia' are rare and perhaps insignificant when you look at the fact that over one billion people practice Islam?

Originally posted by Khayr:

Sheerbeen,

and why was this news worthy enough to post on SOL?

Let me see the catch phrases here:

- Turkish aka muslim

- Honor Killing

- Beaten for having relations with the opposite sex.

hmmm, what are some other catch phrases in this article, that perpetuate the ever on going anti-islam biase?

I don't remember where Islam says you can bury people alive, so I don't see what you're getting at.

So stop accusing me of being anti-Islam. Or would you like it if I accused you of being an ***hat?

NGONGE   

It is quite foolish to turn such an incident to a discussion about Islam and Muslims. If this was a hindu family we would not be talking about Sita eloping with Rama, so why even bother bringing the Islamic angle into it? I know Sherban did not mention Islam so I can't blame him for this. Guess who did? :D

Ibtisam   

Just like I do not feel responsible for everything a black person or a Somali person does, I do not feel responsible or feel the need to apologies for everything that someone with a Muslim name does.

I think Islam could do a lot for societies that practices such horrendous, as Islam outlawed these barbaric practices in the Arabian peninsula when Islam arrived (They use to bury their daughters alive)

Religion is never judged by those who follow it because we know that humans have twisted it and abused the masses using religion in history (all religions not just Islam).

The Sikh and Hhindu communities in the UK have centers and help groups to tackle honor killings and family disputes that lead to such circumstances. I think the Turkish/ Kurdish and Pakistan communities need similar initiatives to stomp out these traditions and cultural horrors.

P.s. I feel like I missed the SOL war of the year and everyone has picked the line not to cross.

B   

I dont mean to burst anyone ones bubble but this islam talk is getting boring. There is more to life than islamic debates.

Abtigiis   

B&H, this anti-islam and atheist talk is also boring. When the taskforce of atheists who obviously want us to debate them with their specialized field of study -bashing religion- calm down, we promise we shall loosen up too.

ailamos   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Ailamos raised a good point in saying that how a religion is judged would be by the actions of its adherents. I fully agree with it. But I need to qualify a bit and add
'by the actions of the overwhelming majority of its adherents'.

Now, does ailamos agree that these stories of honour killings even when they are done under the cover of sharia' are rare and perhaps insignificant when you look at the fact that over one billion people practice Islam?

I won't dispute your addition to my statement smile.gif but I think there is a need of greater accountability and recognition from within the Muslim world of the acts that are committed by some instead of blaming the West, the Zionists and all the other gaalos for everything.

I think we're on the same footing here A&T (who would've thought? ;) ). Honor killings are not specific to Islam, they also occur in non-Muslim communities in India, Africa and Latin America (where they're know as "Crimes of Passion").

But do you, A&T, agree that there is a lack of criticism from with the Muslim world in condemning un-Islamic acts but instead staying silent, as if in agreement.

ailamos   

Originally posted by Benson and Hedges:

I dont mean to burst anyone ones bubble but this islam talk is getting boring. There is more to life than islamic debates.

*sigh*... :rolleyes: so true...

B   

Originally posted by :Abtigiis & Tusbax

B&H, this anti-islam and atheist talk is also boring. When the taskforce of atheists who obviously want us to debate them with their specialized field of study -bashing religion- calm down, we promise we shall loosen up too.

it is a little to simple to divide people into muslims and atheist Abtigiis & Tusbax. There should be attempts made to respect individuals and their views. and they too shouldnt insult peoples conviction. we need a balance. extremist at both ends is not the solution.

Abtigiis   

When a poor girl was stonned in Kismayo for adultery, I didn't meet a single Somali muslim whom I talked to who didn't voiced their disagreement. In light of this evidence, I dispute your assertion about the silence you mentioned. But I concede there is a militant faction within Islam who practice and support such killings. I would also imagine there would be their counter-parts in other religions.

We are in agreement here (to your astonishment) because for once you went out of your hate-mongering mission and concentrated on issues of importance to humanity.

Ibtisam   

A&T: "militant faction within Islam" is an oxymoron.

Aliamos few weeks away from SOL, seems like I've missed a lot. :confused: Maxa Dahacey? what did Johnny do? icon_razz.gif

BTW as for lack of criticism from the Muslim world (there is no such unit first) Secondly condemning unIslamic acts will be a really tall tasks and a loooooooooong. Muslims as individuals can and do condemn murder, rape, killing etc but I doubt there will ever be a statement each time a "Muslim" does another crime. I certainly don't expect people living in the west to apologies for crimes committed by the governments let alone western individuals.

Is it not enough that Islam condemns such crimes and has done so for centuries. The quran explicitly condemns this practice, as Muslims out statement is the Quran.