Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

Turkish Girl Buried Alive

(THE GUARDIAN)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/04/girl-buried-alive-turkey

Turkish police have recovered the body of a 16-year-old girl they say was buried alive by relatives in an "honour" killing carried out as punishment for talking to boys.

The girl, who has been identified only by the initials MM, was found in a sitting position with her hands tied, in a two-metre hole dug under a chicken pen outside her home in Kahta, in the south-eastern province of Adiyaman.

Police made the discovery in December after a tip-off from an informant, the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reported on its website.

The girl had previously been reported missing.

The informant told the police she had been killed following a family "council" meeting.

Her father and grandfather are said to have been arrested and held in custody pending trial. It is unclear whether they have been charged. The girl's mother was arrested but was later released.

Media reports said the father had told relatives he was unhappy that his daughter – one of nine children – had male friends. The grandfather is said to have beaten her for having relations with the opposite sex.

A postmortem examination revealed large amounts of soil in her lungs and stomach, indicating that she had been alive and conscious while being buried. Her body showed no signs of bruising.

The discovery will reopen the emotive debate in Turkey about "honour" killings, which are particularly prevalent in the impoverished south-east.

Official figures have indicated that more than 200 such killings take place each year, accounting for around half of all murders in Turkey.

NASSIR   

Inalilaah waa inaa ileehi raajicuun.

She was subjected to the most unusual and cruel pain by her blood ties.

There should be grave consequences for these pre-Islam cultural practices.

"the female buried alive, is questioned ---for what crime she was killed" (Qur'an 81:8-9)

"Fear Allah, through whom ye demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (that bore you), for God (Allah) ever watches over you," (Qur'an 4:1)

Khayr   

Sheerbeen,

and why was this news worthy enough to post on SOL?

Let me see the catch phrases here:

- Turkish aka muslim

- Honor Killing

- Beaten for having relations with the opposite sex.

hmmm, what are some other catch phrases in this article, that perpetuate the ever on going anti-islam biase?

Tuujiye   

^^^ No but is sad how you guys are acting like as if you care... you only using this for your own intrest and to bash Islam...

What I don't understand is why you guys have so much hate? we know you don't like the faith already so why can't you just fallow yours and leave ours alone? is it because you guys feel lost or confused that you need to prove us why you have lost your faith? or is it maybe that you are here to speak on the ears of the weak in SOL? what is your goal?

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Abtigiis   

This is a great shame. Much to do with the cultures of different socities and not necessarily religion. Anyway, on this one, we need to be united and advocate that such killings whether adminstered by angry family members or Alshabab are inhumane and deplorable.

Having said that, it is no secret that Naxar's often googled stories like the one about a mysterious German Scholar's 'findings' about the Xur-al-cayn are brought here for a purpose.

It was not because heckler-in-cheif, Napolean, did not understand what he was asking us, it is because he found a way of expressing his sexual fantasies and penchant for big booty and breasts by way of hiding behind religious tales. But what was truely shocking was when Al-fadilatu-al-sheikh XINNFANIN passed the matter with a broad giggle, at a time he was sleepless over Peacenows' supposedly insulting diatribes.

^ abti, I was kidding about the mob on the earlier post but you really do seem to be on a which hunt. Maad ilowdey deentu in ay ummada dan ka deexeyso ama ha lugu jiro ama ha laga baxo...

Tuujiye, I can't speak for others but I do care, if I were you, i'd consider speculating on the intentions of others a waste of time. BTW, deentu haday dhab ethen ka tahay, you should be the first in line to denounce these scum who claim to commit atrocities on behave of your belief system. I truly believe that Islam is the single religion that encourages its believers to enlighten themselves and do everything in moderation: tell me how far a man has traveled and I will tell you how much he knows, you should go to even china for knowledge (furthest imaginable distance at the time), the Ink of the scholar is more holy then the blood of the martyr, Let There Be No Compulsion in Religion, lakum deenakum waliya deen...

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

^ abti, I was kidding about the mob on the earlier post but you really do seem to be on a which hunt.

Indeed, we are all on a witch-hunt. Some against Islam, others for Islam.

ailamos   

Originally posted by Khayr:

Sheerbeen,

and why was this news worthy enough to post on SOL?

Let me see the catch phrases here:

- Turkish aka muslim

- Honor Killing

- Beaten for having relations with the opposite sex.

hmmm, what are some other catch phrases in this article, that perpetuate the ever on going anti-islam biase?

It's really difficult for you to admit that these practices exist in Muslim communities, isn't it? When will you stop sweeping things under the rug and lying to yourself that Islam, judging by its adherents, is NOT a perfect religion.

It's a hopeless situation, every attempt at criticism is considered anti-Islamic.

ailamos   

Originally posted by Tuujiye:

^^^ No but is sad how you guys are acting like as if you care... you only using this for your own intrest and to bash Islam...

Yes we do care, same way that we care about human suffering anywhere in the world, from Haiti to this poor girl to our homeland that's ravaged by war.

You're getting defensive and shutting yourself out for no reason. Take a deep breath... follow in Valenteenah's footsteps (admit that this does occur in Muslim communities same way it does in non-Muslims ones) or if you rather not then follow Nassir's example, but don't go on the offensive just because your sensitivities have *somehow* been violated by a common news piece.

I think there needs to be a distinction between the religion and those who practice it. Islam is perfect. Muslims, not so. In the matter of honour killings, they are ingrained in some Eastern cultures and have been practiced long before Islam.