Sign in to follow this  
Juje

I am sure if we return we will be killed

Juje   

"I am sure if we return we will be killed"

200909151220060984.jpg

IRINILogo.gif

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NAIROBI, 15 September 2009 (IRIN) - In the eyes of her family and relatives, Ubah Abdi Adood committed a serious crime by marrying a man from the "wrong" clan.

Adood, 29, fled her home at the end of 2008 not because of fighting but because of threats and beatings from those closest to her. Adood's husband, Mahamud Abdi, is from one of Somalia's marginalized minority groups, the Madxxan.

Minority groups such as the Madxxan, Gabxxyo and Tuxxl, are often discriminated against, mostly for the work they do, such as shoemaking and iron-smelting. Though Somalis and Muslims, these minority groups have traditionally never married into the larger Somali clans and do not mix with them socially. Adood spoke to IRIN on 15 September:

"I knew Mahamud [husband] before we got married. We both grew up in Galkayo in the same area. But because of his clan, I never really paid any attention to him. I was married off young to a man who died shortly afterwards, and my family then married me off again - but that marriage ended up in a divorce.

"We met again in 2007 and we started seeing each other secretly. I fell in love with him. He is kind, gentle and handsome. I adore him.

"We decided to get married in secret. We did it in July 2007. That is when all my problems started. My family and relatives found out and immediately wanted me to get a divorce. I refused. I was beaten repeatedly by my brothers, cousins and uncles. He [Mahamud] was threatened and on one occasion shot at. He fled to the south side of Galkayo [the town is partly in Puntland and partly in south-central Somalia].

"My relatives found out that I was pregnant with Mahamud's child and tried to force me to abort. I had to sleep in friends' homes or hotels to evade them.

"My mother was the only one who tried to protect me. At one time they broke my mother's arm while she was trying to protect me from the beatings.

"I told them my husband is Muslim and that is all I care. I didn’t break any laws, but they would not listen.

"Finally, my mother and I decided that I should leave before they killed me.

"I am now in Nairobi but even here I don’t feel safe. I was recently attacked and now I stay indoors. I don’t go anywhere. My husband fled to Ethiopia. I hope we will be reunited soon in a place we can both feel safe.

"I know we will never be able to return to our homes and live in peace. I am sure if we return to Galkayo we will be killed."

ah/cb

Source: IRIN, Sept 15, 2009

Ms DD   

This is strange. I have seen few couples from different clan married and there was none of this persocution. Maxey tahay jaahilnimadaan bal!

Juxa   

lately folks tell all sort of stories. i admit there is prejudice lakin physical inlala galo waa bit too much.

pretty lady, 3 husbands sofar hmmmm. mid wuu tagay, midna dirtey and this one reerkii baa diidan

Juje   

^^

Ok,may be you folks are living in a different World - but the poor lady's grieve is genuine. In case you did not notice she married a man from the clan the Somalis seemingly discriminate against. Look at it from that angle.

Ms DD   

It could happen. God only knows..people are killed for all sort of reasons nowadays. Who are we to say that it didnt happen..But the Somaliyadii we knew..these kinda physical attacks ma maqli jirin.. But the new Somalia..it really could happen.

For some reason this sounds soooo fishy and contrived like somthing a somali would say to come to the west. They were definetly threatned and verbally abused even shunned and rediculed. However, I refuse to beleive that brothers and uncles are beating on a pregnant woman for marrying into those minority groups. I have seen girls and boys whose families dayriyeen(Sp?). Now I would beleive if they came after the guy with guns. :( But not sheekada ay gadayso.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

^I have never heard or seen anyone threatened with death for marrying Somalis from this particular qabiil.If this did happen, she's exaggerating it.

I have. In fact, the first ultimatum was duco iyo habaar. And to know how beautiful and good hearted the poor girl was.

It's tragically an ugly tradition.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Ms DD:

This is strange. I have seen few couples from different clan married and there was none of this persocution. Maxey tahay jaahilnimadaan bal!

It could be true or it could be wax sharci iyo dhoof lagu raadinayo!

I dont think she is lying or exagerating at all.

I have seen people do similar things .. especially when the guy is from those tribes.

I know one guy who was beaten so badly naagta xoog baa looga furay eventhough she was pregnant.

never understimate prejuduce of somali

Aaliyyah   

If her parents were against the marriage? how did she managed to marry him?..I mean shouldn't ur dad give u away????..this just does not make sense. what does it mean to have a secret marriage? walahi is that halaal?? I am puzzled. I heard similar story a while back....I highly doubt its halaal...

anyways people can be prejudiced...bt its another story to be violent and go to the extremes of beating up someone.

salaam

Saalax   

the backward culture of somalis of * i am better then you - you are a farmer while i am Nomadic * is to blame on those issues that take place