Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Australia's big Mufti calls uncovered women uncovered meat . Outrage follows!

Khayr   

Originally posted by Naden:

quote:Originally posted by SOO MAAL:

I cannot believe how some westernized people arguing without supporting evidence that west respects more women then Islam, or west protects human rights!!!

You're comparing a lovers' spat to a religious figure's words. What exactly is it that you're defending? The right to demean women and just who beats whom in comparing them to dogs or left over cat food. Seriously! :rolleyes:
The parallels are there to show that a two-tier system is being utilized in liberal society. A different grading grid is used for liberal-valued people. Especially when compared to any noun (person,place,thing) that makes a mere mention or association with traditional religion.

It is deemed acceptable for an upperclass caucasian man to call a women a '*****' especially when she is not liked by the media. However, Godforbid a muslim cleric says the same thing and he is villified for it.

Zafir   

^ ^Huh? Nonsense really. Ok, lets Reverse your ridiculous theory, what if an upper-class causation man was Muslim and has uttered this word? Btw, if your local Muslim cleric calls a woman a " b!tch" he is no member of the Muslim clergy, he is dayuus. ;)

Khayr   

^ ^Huh? Nonsense really. Ok, lets Reverse your ridiculous theory, what if an upper-class causation man was Muslim and has uttered this word? Btw, if your local Muslim cleric calls a woman a " b!tch" he is no member of the Muslim clergy, he is dayuus.

The key variable is Religion-Muslim. Once a person converts to Islam, his social status changes and they can no longer be viewed as being an 'Upperclass caucasian man'

N.O.R.F   

Why are all the contraversial Imams/Sheiks/Muftis all Egyptian????

Why do we not have Imams who are PR savy, who can speak good English and articulate their points in such a way that attracts the right attention (or even be able to spin bad publicity)?

Khayr   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Why are all the contraversial Imams/Sheiks/Muftis all Egyptian????

Why do we not have Imams who are PR savy, who can speak good English and articulate their points in such a way that attracts the right attention (or even be able to spin bad publicity)?

What do you mean by PR savy? The term iteslf is an oxymoron. If you are really PR savy, you would not put yourself in the public lime light because there are always critics in the crowds. Your messages would most likely be twisted and warped.

I have recently noticed a trend wherein the 'media conglomerates' hand pick convert muslims and in particular caucasian converts. These caucasian converts are then ascended to the status of 'good muslim personalities'. These are the Hamza Yusufs, the Ingrid Mattesons etc. They are a face of what is called 'accepted and mainstream islam'.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Khayr:

quote:Originally posted by Naden:

quote:

Originally posted by SOO MAAL:

I cannot believe how some westernized people arguing without supporting evidence that west respects more women then Islam, or west protects human rights!!!

You're comparing a lovers' spat to a religious figure's words. What exactly is it that you're defending? The right to demean women and just who beats whom in comparing them to dogs or left over cat food. Seriously! :rolleyes:
The parallels are there to show that a two-tier system is being utilized in liberal society. A different grading grid is used for liberal-valued people. Especially when compared to any noun (person,place,thing) that makes a mere mention or association with traditional religion.

It is deemed acceptable for an
upperclass caucasian man
to call a women a '*****' especially when she is not liked by the media. However, Godforbid a muslim cleric says the same thing and he is villified for it.
The cleric is being vilified by, amongst others, many of his fellow Muslims, saaxib. The problem here is not one of comparing him to Western politicians, it’s the perception that many of his followers and fellows had (have) about his opinions of women. Have his words been misinterpreted? If not, is what he said correct, acceptable and fair on women? If not, and since he’s a preacher not a politician, how can he in any way, shape or form be compared to this politician you speak of?

Again, I think Naden is asking the question from a Muslim’s angle.

North

This is, my knowledge, the first time a Muslim ‘mufti’ in the West has created such controversy with is words. Most those that do live in the Middle East and probably never set foot in the West in their lives. Different culture, different mentality and a different set of obstacles and problems to deal with!

Once a person converts to Islam, his social status changes and they can no longer be viewed as being an 'Upperclass caucasian man'

Who says their social status is going to change? Are you going to do it? I think not...

Just becuz one converts to Islam, doesn't mean he is equal to you or anyone, expect his or her own...

However, Godforbid a muslim cleric says the same thing and he is villified for it.

The muslim cleric didn't say the same thing, he said worse then what the Minister had allegedly called his ex-girlfriend, therefore I pray for the so called Hilali's speedy death...AMEN

^^^loooL...speedy dheath aa..xuu kaa sameeyey. besides, what would his demise change?

I say engage him in sort of forum where women have the oppurtunity to voice their opinion. Maybe he can invite ( or they can demand)local female Muslim populace to the mosque, and have Q&A session. Be more practical people in solving problems.

Khayr   

The cleric is being vilified by, amongst others, many of his fellow Muslims, saaxib. The problem here is not one of comparing him to Western politicians, it’s the perception that many of his followers and fellows had (have) about his opinions of women. Have his words been misinterpreted?

The question is if that perception is in line with democratic liberal values.

If not, is what he said correct, acceptable and fair on women?

What yardstick is being used to assess:

• What is CORRECT?
  • What is ACCEPTABLE?
  • What is FAIR ON WOMEN ?
If not, and since he’s a preacher not a politician, how can he in any way, shape or form be compared to this politician you speak of?

The comparison and contrast is there, showing a a biased and differential treatment towards religious personalities versus affluent and wealthy political figures.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

quote:I am in arabia..and there was no a single rape reported in my place..

Majority of rapes even here in the west are not reported. Most women just suffer in silence.

Cara...Safer in NY...eheh...lol. Have you lived in any of the five boroughs?. I don't know about If Burkas protect women or if miniskirts cause men to lose control, but I guarantee you NYC ain't any safer than Cairo. This is image of NY
that comes to mind everytime I hear a woman being sexually assualted down in the big apple.
It's not an everyday occurence though is it?

I've never worn a burka or a miniskirt, and I don't intend to. But I'd definitely feel safer in New York City because at least the populance at large isn't being told by the likes of the Grand Mufti of Australia that women are meat, and that a woman invite rape by leaving their homes.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Khayr:

The comparison and contrast is there, showing a a biased and differential treatment towards religious personalities versus affluent and wealthy political figures. [/QB]

Khayr, you're comparing apples and oranges. Mackay insulted an individual, the Mufti insulted 3 billion people. Mackay's comment was an immature outburst, Al-Hilali was making moral judgements and his statements were prescriptive (he is telling people right from wrong). Mackay denies even calling Stronach a dog. Al-Hilali's 'apology' is doublespeak, not apologizing for the comments themselves, but for having "offended" anyone.

This is just not a good example of double standards in the media.

Cara...The story from Cairo can't be substantiated, but Iam sure awful things do happen there too, and you might not have A grand Mufti calling women meat, but the west does portray women as meat. Just look tv ads and movies. Women are just there for men's amusement, forever there to satisfy men's fantasies, and still blamed for provoking these fantasies. They are reduced to mere objects.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

Cara...The story from Cairo can't be substantiated, but Iam sure awful things do happen there too, and you might not have A grand Mufti calling women meat, but the west does portray women as meat. Just look tv ads and movies. Women are just there for men's amusement, forever there to satisfy men's fantasies, and still blamed for provoking these fantasies. They are reduced to mere objects.

I don't remember anyone ever defending these images, do you? And look around. Women are anything but mere objects here just for male amusement. I rather live in a world in which ads are degrading but I'm free to do as I wish, than a world in which I'm placed on some lofty pedestal too far off the ground for me to move about.

-Lily-   

I cant be bothered to read all of the responses but there is no denying that some of these Imaams seriously hate women. I'm shocked that he is allowed to preach at all. Would you want such a person giving lectures and lessons to your children or siblings?