Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Back Home; 1.7 million people face starvation

SOO MAAL   

1.7 million people face starvation

2006_01_06t085838_277x450_us_food_africa

A Somali herdsman walks at sunset towards Wajid, 280 miles northwest of the capital Mogadishu December 2, 2005. Six million people are on the brink of starvation in the Horn of Africa region due to severe drought, crop failure and depletion of livestock herds, the United Nations said on Friday. (Antony Njuguna/Reuters)

r888875719.jpg?x=380&y=261&sig=2LVBrVvL_

Tue Jan 24, 12:30 PM ET

A Somali herdsman walks with his donkey past a rotting carcass in Garbaharey, southern Somalia January 23, 2006. Insecurity and an unstable government in Somalia are hindering delivery of humanitarian aid in the Horn of Africa country where 1.7 million people face starvation, a senior U.N. official said on Tuesday. Three consecutive failed rain seasons have dried up the country, killing dozens of humans and hundreds of animals and raising fears of disease outbreaks. Picture taken January 23, 2006. REUTERS/David Mwangi

r294699666.jpg?x=380&y=274&sig=oiIW88HYK

Tue Jan 24, 12:34 PM ET

A donkey drinks water from a drying riverbed in Garbaharey, southern Somalia January 23, 2006. Insecurity and an unstable government in Somalia are hindering delivery of humanitarian aid in the Horn of Africa country where 1.7 million people face starvation, a senior U.N. official said on Tuesday. Three consecutive failed rain seasons have dried up the country, killing dozens of humans and hundreds of animals and raising fears of disease outbreaks. Picture taken January 23, 2006. REUTERS/David Mwangi

r300674232.jpg?x=380&y=286&sig=Yluwu0HfW

Tue Jan 24, 12:26 PM ET

Somali girls collect water at a well in Wajid region in southern Somalia January 23, 2006. Insecurity and an unstable government in Somalia are hindering delivery of humanitarian aid in the Horn of Africa country where 1.7 million people face starvation, a senior U.N. official said on Tuesday. Three consecutive failed rain seasons have dried up the country, killing dozens of humans and hundreds of animals and raising fears of disease outbreaks. Picture taken January 23, 2006. REUTERS/David Mwangi

Castro   

Can we appeal to our beloved warlords to actually shoot these innocent men, women and children who are sure to die of hunger and thirst? You know, take them out of their misery. God forbid a warlord would ever die of starvation!. Would calling it mercy killing be too insensitive? Must these people die or can this be averted? Shall we pray for their forgiveness and place in Jannah already or shall we wait a bit longer? If it's inevitable and no one can do anything about it, why not pray for the living as if they were dead?

Ilaahayo dadkayaga halkan iyo halkaasba sidan u dhaam.

Castro   

Ducaqabow, ducadu ma xumee, ficil baa loo bahanyahay ninyahow. I don't mean to blaspheme but sometimes I'm so frustated I don't even bother saying a prayer , istaqfurulah. There's only so much bool shidh you can watch over the years ninyahow. If I've not reached my saturation level, I'm very close to it. We should accept (some) natural disasters for they are beyond our control, but it's ludicrous that a drought would threaten the lives of millions, ninyahow. We basically have 12-15 guys squeezing our collective nuts and refusing to let go. That is just absurd. Where's a suicide bomber when you need one?

The one thing that (probably) would make me leave this place is if there's any more apathy I see around me than I already do.

SOO MAAL   

r4168252726.jpg?x=380&y=250&sig=Mp9b3FJt

Ethiopian herdsmen fetch water out of a well for their camels on the road between Gode and Denan in Somali region, Ethiopia January 16, 2006. More than a million people in Ethiopia's eastern region face possible famine after a deepening drought dried up waterholes, officials said. Picture taken on January 16, 2006. REUTERS/Andrew Heavens

capt.nai10201181114.ethiopia_food_shorta

Fatuma Abdi, 13, cradles her malnourished brother Nemo, one of twins, at Gode hospital, in the Somali Region of Ethiopia, Monday, Jan. 16, 2006, amid worrying signs of a major drought. The infant, too exhausted to even show emotion in his eyes, is one of millions of people hit by food shortages in east Africa. Fatuma does not know it yet, but in a few days, maybe a week at the most, her brother will be dead from malnutrition. Nemo's mother, who earns US$7 (6) a month from selling firewood, is so weak from food shortages that she can produce only enough breast milk to feed his twin sister. Preliminary assessments show those affected by the food shortages include an estimated 1.75 million in Ethiopia, 3.5 million in Kenya, 1.4 million in Somalia and 60,000 in Djibouti. (AP Photo).

capt.nai10301181115.ethiopia_food_shorta

Mother Ayan Abdi, left, holds her daughter Asma, as her 13-year-old daughter, Fatuma, holds twin, son Nemo who is suffering from severe malnutrition in Gode, in the Somali Region of Ethiopia, Monday, Jan. 16, 2006. Ayan does not know it yet, but in a few days, maybe a week at the most, her son will be dead from malnutrition. The woman, who earns US$7 (6) a month from selling firewood, is so weak from food shortages that she can produce only enough breast milk to feed her daughter. The region is going through the early stages of a major drought. The infants, too exhausted to even show emotion in their eyes, are two of millions of people hit by food shortages in east Africa. Preliminary assessments show those affected include an estimated 1.75 million in Ethiopia, 3.5 million in Kenya, 1.4 million in Somalia and 60,000 in Djibouti. (AP Photo)

r306058426.jpg?x=262&y=345&sig=iMjBuBucK

A malnourished child is weighed in the therapeutic treatment unit of Gode Hospital in the southern Somali region of Ethiopia January 16, 2006. East Africa is gripped in drought while the south is blessed with rain but as aid agencies scramble to feed millions across the world's poorest continent, it is by no means clear what the 2006 harvests will bring, even in areas that have been wet. Picture taken on January 16, 2006. REUTERS/Andrew Heavens

Reuters - Jan 17 10:54 AM

SOO MAAL   

r2109262522.jpg?x=380&y=261&sig=KKkcqCfN

Ethiopian children walk past the carcass of a cow in Denan, southern Somali region of Ethiopia, January 16, 2006. East Africa is gripped in drought while the south is blessed with rain but as aid agencies scramble to feed millions across the world's poorest continent, it is by no means clear what the 2006 harvests will bring, even in areas that have been wet. Picture taken on January 16, 2006. REUTERS/Andrew Heavens

r91094485.jpg?x=380&y=247&sig=YvNl82fhh.

An Ethiopian woman sits with her family in Denan, southern Somali region of Ethiopia, January 16, 2006. East Africa is gripped in drought while the south is blessed with rain but as aid agencies scramble to feed millions across the world's poorest continent, it is by no means clear what the 2006 harvests will bring, even in areas that have been wet. Picture taken on January 16, 2006. REUTERS/Andrew Heavens

r673011035.jpg?x=283&y=345&sig=d85Dl2M9E

Armed Somali militiamen ride a vehicle in Wajiid, south central Somalia, December 5, 2004. Separate clashes between rival militias have killed dozens of people in Somalia, highlighting insecurity in the country which has been without a functioning government since 1991, residents said on Friday. REUTERS/Radu Sigheti

capt.sge.czw59.220106214900.photo00.phot

Displaced Somalis sit outside their makeshift houses in south Mogadishu, after welcoming newly arrived Internally Displaced People (IDP) from south central Somalia fleeing hunger. Tens of thousands of desperate Somalis have converged on Mogadishu over the past two months, abandoning their homes in the lawless nation's drought-stricken south and center to beg for food in the capital as famine looms across east Africa.(AFP)

SOO MAAL   

capt.sge.cdk83.190106172231.photo00.phot

An Ethiopian woman and her child rest in a feeding center of a clinic in Gode, Ethiopia. According to the United Nations and relief agencies, as many as 11 million people in four nations in the Horn of Africa -- Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia and Djibouti -- are on the brink of imminent famine as the two-year-old drought bites.(AFP/Abraham Fisseha)

r710464786.jpg?x=224&y=345&sig=uC8Mtz7OC

An Ethiopian woman hold her malnourished child in Gode Hospital in the eastern region of ****** which borders Somalia, January 16, 2006. More than a million people in Ethiopia's eastern region face possible famine after a deepening drought dried up waterholes, officials said. Picture taken on January 16, 2006. REUTERS/Andrew Heavens

r2833217874.jpg?x=380&y=190&sig=VOIYSHAr

A Ethiopian woman lies in Gode Hospital in the eastern region of ****** which borders Somalia, January 16, 2006. More than a million people in Ethiopia's eastern region face possible famine after a deepening drought dried up waterholes, officials said. Picture taken on January 16, 2006. REUTERS/Andrew Heavens

r769128891.jpg?x=380&y=275&sig=SA_qetj2w

A convoy of food aid arrives southwest of Mogadishu, December 4, 2005. Hundreds of roadblocks in Somalia, where gunmen extort money from passing drivers, are dotted across the capital Mogadishu and along roads and dirt tracks throughout the country, providing a major source of income for the warlords. REUTERS/Antony Njuguna

SOO MAAL   

Originally posted by Castro:

Can we appeal to our beloved warlords to actually shoot these innocent men, women and children who are sure to die of hunger and thirst? You know, take them out of their misery. God forbid a warlord would ever die of starvation!. Would calling it mercy killing be too insensitive? Must these people die or can this be averted? Shall we pray for their forgiveness and place in Jannah already or shall we wait a bit longer? If it's inevitable and no one can do anything about it, why not pray for the living as if they were dead?

Ilaahayo dadkayaga halkan iyo halkaasba sidan u dhaam.

Castro waa runtaa ilaahay dalkii haa u naxariistu

Our leaders (warlords) they having their fun and playing their game POLITICS

What we can do how we can help ???!!!

what ficil baa la sameen karaa

Due to the suffering and painful circumstances in our homeland, I think we reached a point where we should pray for the living people for their forgiveness and place in Jannah

May Allaah accept our prayers

Amiin Amiin

Jacpher   

Enough of the depressing pictures saaxiib.

They may be 15 or less but they have the elders on payroll, thus have a green light to do whatever in the name of protecting the clan. Until the elders of each clan denounce these thugs, we're screwed. If you won a million dollar tonight, what better would you do with it than hire a hit man that hunts each and everyone of these warlords.

Castro   

^ These guys are certainly a short cut to heaven. No doubt about it. And I wouldn't bother hiring anyone saaxib. I'd do it myself. Hadaynaa dadka nafta ka qaadin naxariistii iyo karaamadii ayay u diideen. Ilaahay meel baas ka tuur.

^^aamiin castro aamiin.

Subxaanal LLaah, Ilaahayoow u gargaar maskiiniintaas, ilaahayoo ajar iyo jannnah ugu abaal mari dhibka ay ku mudan yihiin.

Rahima   

^ These guys are certainly a short cut to heaven. No doubt about it. And I wouldn't bother hiring anyone saaxib. I'd do it myself. Hadaynaa dadka nafta ka qaadin naxariistii iyo karaamadii ayay u diideen. Ilaahay meel baas ka tuur.

Once upon a time I too was convinced that annihilating them would serve our problems, but since our people are sick with this mentality, another ten would no doubt rise to squeeze our collective nuts and refuse to let go. The problem is that we give them the support and in turn the poor, innocent and destitute suffer.

I see photos like these, read incidences like this over and over and I am always on the brink of tears- mostly out of fury and the rest out of helplessness.

Never should we give up hope in the mercy of Allah. We should all be making as much duca as possible and donating as much as possible- alas there is not much else many of us can do.

The stark contrast never fails to amaze me; Some people dying of fat and gluttany while others starve to death!

I think donating money, one person can help at least 1 family, would go much farther than shaking your head and praying. Allah isn't going to send an army of angels to bring them food! That being said, Illahayow u naxariiso. Amen.

Nephissa   

^ True, true..

Do what you can, and go to bed with a clear conscience people.

All this will end one day. Home will be home again, back to the glorious days I'A, but it's very likely none of us will be around to see it. Yaa rabbi!

PS: Good to see you again sister Rahima.