Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Nomads, What were you deprived of?

Laba-X   

Life in Miyi/baadiye can be gruesome at times with the niceties of the life of luxury being a thing you never heard of.

It is a part of Reer Miyi culture that the girl in the family is to be looked after untll she gets married. And in order to achieve this, and attain that dhex yar figure, the girl in the family was often deprived of:-

• Tea
  • Maraq
  • Hilib - often the best parts of the goat is given to the males,leaving her with either the misigta, tunka or Laf dhabarta

...Along with many other things.

If you happen to have lived under these circumstances, please tell us what else you were not allowed...

BTW, does anyone here have a clue as to why they are not allowed to have Tea or Maraq?

J.Lee   

I wasn't deprived of anything: I fear I was spoiled rotten while I was growing up.

B.T.W

I heard of the reason why but I would rather not share. :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Laba_Xiniinyood:

BTW, does anyone here have a clue as to why they are not allowed to have Tea or Maraq?

It makes them turn into a dhex weyn is what Jimca Lee meant to say. :D

No Soup For you...LooL. First time am hearing of this, I thought it had to do with preference.

I have no recollection of visiting miyi, the times I was taken there. It was specifically for “Qarasbax†reasons, if you think about it. I was taken to where some miyi folks called home, for to xaar purposes. :D:D

Originally posted by checkmate:

No Soup For you...LooL. First time am hearing of this, I thought it had to do with preference.

I have no recollection of visiting miyi, the times I was taken there. It was specifically for “Qarasbax†reasons, if you think about it. I was taken to where some miyi folks called home, for to xaar purposes.
:D:D

Lool. I see you had metabolism issues even in Somalia :D

So what was the diet? a kirli of saliid from the Badhi of a Lax? or a baaquli of caano geel combined with Sibir ? Mise it was an assortment of a deliciously prepared dish of kirish mirish downed with a glass of caano suusac ? :D

checkmate, miyiga dab-xabaalan baad geel ku raaci jirtey markaas na leedahay weligay baadiye ma'arag :D .

I don’t think it happens in our generation, but I heard that strict diet was meant to beat young girls in to shape; it was a bid to prevent them from turning into unattractive spinsters. The ‘dhex-yaraan’ attribute was sought after excessively in some regions to the extent that a girl would be deprived anything that’s deemed contributing to the growth of her waistline.

I even heard the measure to know her slimness was her voice for modest bars to parade her appealing curves. When a mother shouts to her, naa heblaayo, if what follows is not a weak and codyaroo nuxuus ah that goes like, haa hooyo (ood moodid in naftu kasii bixi rabto :D ), then the bachelor would know that he should expect mid abraar ah oo beerku weynaaday :D !

I guess it is universal quality for a girl to be slim. How to get there could sometimes be quite controversial though.

Originally posted by Laba_Xiniinyood:

It is a part of Reer Miyi culture that the girl in the family is to be looked after untll she gets married.

Looked after? LoL...You mean SHE looks after them till she gets married. No rest for the wicked.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

checkmate, miyiga
dab-xabaalan
baad geel ku raaci jirtey markaas na leedahay weligay baadiye ma'arag
:D

I don’t think it happens in our generation, but I heard that strict diet was meant to beat young girls in to shape; it was a bid to prevent them from turning into unattractive spinsters. The ‘dhex-yaraan’ attribute was sought after excessively in some regions to the extent that a girl would be deprived anything that’s deemed contributing to the growth of her waistline.

I even heard the measure to know her slimness was her voice for modest bars to parade her appealing curves. When a mother shouts to her,
naa heblaayo
, if what follows is not a weak and codyaroo nuxuus ah that goes like,
haa hooyo
(ood moodid in naftu kasii bixi rabto
), then the bachelor would know that he should expect mid abraar ah oo beerku weynaaday
!

I guess it is universal quality for a girl to be slim. How to get there could sometimes be quite controversial though.

^^

Yaah? so Jenny Craig & all these supermodels and wannabes are just reading off the scripts from maama butaaco's guide to having a dhex yar haye? hehe.

So,this finally explains the P.M.X.B.S effect :D

Cara.   

Ahura, come on, you know by "looking after", we would mean overwork and underfeed. It's practically synonymous.

As for deprivation of tea, I think that had more to do with the scarcity or expense of sugar in the baadhiye than adherence to an Atkins diet. Anything that is low supply is gonna be hogged. The older ladies just used "dhex-yar" as an excuse.

Jacpher   

I thought Somali men back home were attracted to those with dhex weyn.

Slim girls sow ayadii la oran jiray wey xanuunsaneysaa :D

Castro   

^ A slim waist gives an idea (by outlining them) of how easily the hips are capable of delivering a child. If the waist and hips were just one big block, you really couldn't decipher if this Xalimo is the one best-suited to carry and easily deliver your little ones. Just a (medieval) thought.

Nephissa   

What were you deprived of?

Chicken. We hardly ate it in our household. Why Somalis hate Chicken so much? :confused: Now I'm free to eat it (Alhamdulilaah :D ) I go to KFC for breakfast sometimes, and I make my own saute'd chicken, basted chicken, stuffed chicken, sweet and sour chicken, chicken thighs, plump chicken breasts. Heck, I will even help slaughter the damn thing.

Gabbal   

Strange. Is this factual info or just making a topic? I have never heard of such a thing. Matter of fact, debate with a Somali about the topic of beauty and you get the honest impression that any who can be deemed somewhat overweight represents beauty to them. :D

p.s. C'mon does anyone in that part of the world actually have to try hard to stay slim? Who are we kidding folks. :D