Sign in to follow this  
Daacuud

AIDS research....girls what do you know...or can do?

Daacuud   

Guys, there is another article on NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE on the net. It kind of relates to the same issue of Hepititus G and HIV virus. Please read and lets us discuss this more.

----------------------------------------

Virus May Help Fight HIV

By STEPHANIE NANO

Associated Press Writer

Published Sep 5 2001

Infection with an apparently harmless, newly recognized virus seems to interfere with HIV, slowing its progression and prolonging survival of AIDS patients.

What isn' t known is exactly how the virus, called GBV-C or hepatitis G, inhibits HIV. Researchers say if they can figure that out, it could lead to new treatments for AIDS virus.

In the meantime, they warned patients against intentionally infecting themselves.

" If we can identify the path GBV-C is taking to inhibit HIV, then we' re well on the way to making this something practical, " said one of the researchers, Dr. Jack Stapleton of the Iowa City Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Iowa.

The findings were reported in two studies in Thursday' s New England Journal of Medicine. They confirm earlier, smaller studies that showed that patients with both HIV and hepatitis G lived longer than those infected with HIV alone.

The hepatitis G virus, discovered in 1995, does not appear to cause hepatitis or any other disease, unlike other blood-borne hepatitis viruses that cause liver damage. It is found in about 2 percent of healthy blood donors.

The Iowa study looked at 362 HIV-infected patients treated between 1988 and 1999. About 40 percent, 144 patients, were also infected with hepatitis G.

About 29 percent (41 patients) of those infected with hepatitis G died during four years of follow-up, compared with 56 percent (123 patients) who were not infected with hepatitis G.

Researchers calculated that HIV-infected people without the hepatitis G infection were nearly four times more likely to die than those with both infections during the four-year period.

A second study of 197 HIV patients conducted at Medical School Hanover in Germany also found significantly longer survival for the 33 HIV patients with hepatitis G, even after more potent AIDS drugs became available in 1996. Researchers also tested hepatitis G-infected blood and found the more hepatitis G infection, the less HIV was in the blood.

" We don' t have any clues how it works at the moment, but I' m quite confident that we will gain this information in the next 12 months, " said Dr. Hans L. Tillmann, one of the researchers.

The German researchers did one of the earliest studies that showed that hepatitis G may be beneficial for HIV patients. Tillmann said they were trying to determine whether GBV-C had the same negative effect as hepatitis B and C on people with HIV, but found the opposite.

Dr. Steven Wolinsky of Northwestern University Medical School, co-author of an accompanying editorial, said the findings of the two studies need to be kept in perspective.

" While we' re looking at larger numbers of patients, we still don' t really have a specific mechanism, nor have we ruled out any other potential variables that may be responsible, " Wolinsky said.

Tillmann and Stapleton both strongly warned against intentionally infecting HIV patients with hepatitis G while research continues, a warning echoed by Wolinsky.

" We don' t really know what the long-term consequences of infection with this virus is, " Wolinsky said. " We also know that it seems to travel with other viruses, and we don' t know if it' s an accidental tourist or not."

On the Net:

New England Journal of Medicine: http://www.nejm.org

Hibo   

Nowaal,

You have posted on Somalinet forum days ago about this issue and I did reply with a long respond but it was deleted. Now I don't have the time to rewrite but I will make it short.

Yes Aids is a danger to Somalia. Your course is admirable. But I can't help but ask you why include in the issue of Aids a gender quarell? Feminist thinking will not work in Somaia. I think the aids danger should be faced by helping all those infected not only women. What is next to be campaigned for? Also, it should be directed at the state level.

In conclusion, lets face the danger united as somalis, men and women since after all it will infected all of us as Somali and men and women alike if we don't stop it.

Hibo   

Yaa yaqaano Umulqeyr Cabdi oo AIDS qabta magaalada Columbus ayay deggen tahay. Waana gabar Soomaaliyeed. Marka wey jiraan gabdho Soomaaliyeed oo AIDS qaba.

Hibo   

Aids is very scary disease and somali should know how to protect themselves from this Biological warfare intended to wipe out the entire race of Africans.

I will hit you more evidence if needed...

Much Luv 2 U all

Nomad

From Dixon Town

TO/ Kanada.

unixguru   

There is HIV in Somali and its really a growing problem. I am always hearing of new cases of it. The father of a friend of my one of my brothers even died of it in Kenya, but he was a dirty old man biggrin.gif... so no dought its in the community.

But the good thing is there is only one way to get AIDS and that sex, as long as the somalis keep away from that, I think we are in good shape...

------------------

Root has Spoken

Hibo   

God knows how many innocent somali girls have been raped in Xamar, and the surrounding areas.. God knows how many where raped by Ethopians Soldiers who visited the country.. Ethopians hate Somalis for many reasons and one way to get back at them is to Spread Aids.. Hate Crimes is what they call them...... They rape for the purpose of Spreading the Disease and since Somalis dont want to talk about it.. the girls feel shame to tell how they got the disease and even most of the times are called DHiloos or, *********oyin for having AIDS remember they were raped and yet they're again the victoms of Somali Ignorance!!

There were some Aid workers from C.A.R.E and the U.N who came to Somaliland and Bosaso region to Teach people about Aids/Hiv and how one can get the disease etc... Those Men and Women were Told to leave the Country or they will be killed if they teach"innocent somali people" about this disease, they told the Aid workers that this kind of things "dont happen to somalis"

they showed picture of Condoms, giving directions as to how to wear them etc.. that is when they almost got killed by Cullimah!!

Anyway, AIDS do exist in Somalia in a very large ## and that # is increasing by the Minute Cuz of the lack of education in our country and the ver poor health system...

unless somalia accepts the fact about AIDS t here is no hope for the somalis who are dying for it every day!!

unixguru   

Security guy, I don't think the number are that high...And I don't think its something to make a *very big deal* out of...I think Somali has more pressing problems then HIV/AIDS...

WHAT WE CAN DO IS EDUCATE OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS. THANKS TO OUR RELIGION, SOMALIA HAS REALY SMALL AIDS %.

WHAT I THINK SHOULD BE DONE?

I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD GET TESTED BEFORE THEY GET MARRIED...I KNOW THAT IS TOUGH BUT IT CAN SAVE LIFE.

WE CAN EDUCATE OUR PEOPLE AND LET THEM KNOW IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE ASHAMED OFF AND IF THEY HAVE IT TO SEEK HELP.

WE CAN PROVIDE CONDOMS AT HOSPITALS AND HAVE ADS THAT READS AIDS IS SERIOUS MATTER, EITHER ABSTAIN FROM IT OR WRAP IT UP.

THAT IS MY 2CENTS

Raxmah   

Customs like these, which shouldnt have a place in soceity really do kill.

Kenyan Women Reject Sex Cleanser

Washington Post

In some rural African villages, tradition holds that widows must sleep with the ritual "cleanser" men who sleep with women after their husbands die - in order to be allowed to attend their husbands' funerals or be inherited by their husbands' brother or relative (another customary practice). Unmarried women who lose a parent or child must also sleep with cleansers. Village elders in Gangre, Kenya, say the custom must be carried out or the community will be cursed with bad crops. Areas that still practice the tradition have the highest rates of HIV/AIDS, causing Africans to question and change traditions as the disease ravages the continent.

The cleansing job, held by hundreds of thousands of men across rural Africa, is seen as low class but essential to "purifying" women. Cleansers are paid in cows and crops, as well as cash. They can be found in some rural parts of Uganda, Tanzania and Congo. They are also a staple in Angola and across West Africa, specifically in Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Nigeria, according to African aid workers who have been trying to discuss the HIV risk that cleansers present.

The tradition dates back centuries and is rooted in a belief that spirits haunt a woman after her husband dies. She is also thought to be unholy and "disturbed" if she is unmarried and abstains from sex. The custom has always been unpopular among women.

"It's a custom that must be stopped," said Janet Walsh, deputy director of Human Rights Watch, which published a report on it. "Condoms are never used; they say it has to be skin-to- skin to work." Women in Africa are six times as likely to contract HIV as men, largely because of rape and customs like cleansing, in which one man can infect hundreds of women. Nancy Oundda, a nurse with the African Medical Research Foundation predicted that people's attitudes toward the practice will change "with education, and if they realize what this tradition is doing."

Further information about cleansing can be found on the Human Rights Watch website:

http://www.hrw.org

Salaan...

This thread is one of the very first threads of this forum, if not the first.

It also marks and makes, one todobaad from tonight, SOL officially being five years old.

Waaaw. Shan sano already. Waqtiga waa duulaa, riili.

Hambalyo to dhamaan reer SOL.

Yuu dhoont isbiik dis languwej? Yuu shuuld leern it, riili. Kamoon, it iss feeri, feeri simbal, diiyar.

Soo faar it waas soo guud, Aay anderistuud aal eksept da laast weedh, "Diiyar" meenis? Aay em loost.

BTW: Koongaragulations tu huuefer injoyed da faayf yeer teerm aas SOL meember, kudoos tu yuu aal.

WILDCAT   

Celibacy sounds pretty good to me right now. The only surefire way. If this were a Conservative campaign, they'd be saying: "no dicks, no danger". icon_razz.gif

^^^So how long have you been here? Since Feb 2002, I kno I answered my question Im somewhat confused on those thought, but quite mature enough on this boards to give a tour I believe, actually I don't mind if you take control, the ride is yours...take the steering wheel