Sign in to follow this  
Sister1000

High divorce rate amongst somalis ? Do you agree?

I was talking to a good somali friend that I know well. She is married and she was going on about how she wants to be able to support her family financially so thats why she is studying now. I said to her well, you shouldnt worry about providing the money for your family, in islam, it is the husbands duty to provide for his family financially. Then she stated that, her relationship with her husband is going well now but he could divorce her one day. She also said it is common for somalis to divorce. So is there a high divorce rate amongst somalis?

If the divorce rate is high amongst somalis, why is the divorce rate so high because apparently the divorce rate has increased alot for somalis since the past!

If this is not true, I apologise, please dont take offence in any way.

Indhoos   

Divorce rate has increased among all, regardless of race or culture...methinks.H e might divorce her one day does not necessarily mean much, b/c all couples are potential for divorce one day if the understanding/love/c ompassion etc. is lost.

How is the rate among your kin folks?

In your comment it contains, "apparently the divorce rate has increased alot for Somalis since the past."

What am I missing here? In reference to your other posts?

Indhoos

When I say that comment, Im not refering to any other posts. I obtained that information from just some somalian people I've spoken to. Anyway, in my culture, the divorce rate for muslims is very low. Divorce is pratically unheard of.

Indhoos   

No sis, I am refering to your other post. The one about Somali culture. I was just caught offguard. You were trying to know about them and then I saw that comment...

I agree that the divorce rate is up no matter the culture.

But I am confused though about you Sister1000, first you ask about Somali culture because of a Somali guy you like then you ask about the divorce rate. Hmmm maybe you should just concentrate on whether a person is a good Muslim or not.

This post just says what I've heard about somalis. I was wondering what other somalis have to say about this. Anyway, yes I do want to know more about somali culture.

Amina/Tammy

1000 things are running through my mind at once like all the time. I was just curious to see whether what Ive been told is true or just rumours. The fact that I asked about divorce rates and culture is just randomn. Im a very curious person.

Ashkiro   

Salams, Do I agree with that statement? Hmm I’m positive the statistics are higher as they are for all cultures in this era, even in western culture it was unheard of to divorce a little over 50 years ago and today the rates are well over 50%. I think desi culture (regardless of religious background) is far more stringent in mate selection as opposed to Somalis and as result have lower divorce rates. With that said, I don’t believe Somalis are prone to divorce, and your friend (or anyone for that matter), need not to worry about divorce statistics in certain communities as long as they as individuals make the right decisions etc and leave the rest to Allah. If you get a divorce it is Allah’s Will just as it was His Will for you to get married. Further, as a woman in today’s society you can’t count on your husband providing for you, it’s in her best interests to study, be educated and be financially stable.

Hassan_B   

divorce rate thing is common to most westernized muslims regardless of culture. If you went back to Somalia, to the peaceful country side, I doubt you'd see much divorce as those people hold more tightly to the culture which is deeply impacted by Islam.

Hassan_B   

PS: if you're family would not want you to marry a somali, it is best to heed their advice...who knows there might be a time when you might need them and they wont help you as fully as they could cause they weren't too hot about your marital decisions. Whatever you do make sure your parents are happy with it, that is the way to get the best outcome. I'm sure there are excellent pakistani brothers in England. I know several of them myself.

There is a mismatch between the number of good women and bad men. Usually a woman who is highly determined and ambitious will get bogged down with a farax who loves nothing better than chewing around. This is the reason for the high divorce rates.

The good men on the other hand will be too busy building careers, they will snub all the good women who make advances on them. Therefore the good women will have no choice but to marry the first man they see due to sociatal pressures. thus increasing divorce rates.

chubacka   

isn't all this good women and bad men a little bit simplistic, and where are all the bad women in your analysis?

And we have not even established that divorce is high among somalis. Where is Ng to say his famous line.

STOIC   

If you want us to tell you that Somali marriage is like a seeds sown in the desert or the tundra that will only sprout for few cycles and then eventually die, I'm sorry to disapoint you!The truth is that Somalis couples are human just like everybody else (they are bound to divorce or long time marriage)They just bump and bang into life just like every other community!