Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somali Sheikh striped of his award

This thread reminds a time when Sh. Saed Raage, was invited to Islam awareness week. When the lady introduced him, she extended her hand. The sheikh was like I don't shake hand, then the lady he gave a big hug. The sheikh was embarrassed and let her finished her hug.

Ms DD   

^^ That really happened?

Ibti

I for one am glad you posted this. Some people here are brainwashed...strange mentality they have here.

We are muslims right? therefore we should get upset when we feel we are attacked. Besides we shouldnt belittle smaller battles as they do add up.

Aaliyyah   

The messenger of Allah (pbuh) said "who ever gives up something for the sake of Allah, Allah swt will replace it with something better"

May Allah swt bless this Shiekh and grant him Jannah in the here after.

-------------------------

From the womb to the tomb. That is the whole trip.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Ms DD:

^^ That really happened?

Ibti

I for one am glad you posted this. Some people here are brainwashed...strange mentality they have here.

We are muslims right? therefore we should get upset when we feel we are attacked. Besides we shouldnt belittle smaller battles as they do add up.

Get upset all you want, dear. That was not the point of my brainwashed self. smile.gif

She's posting the e-mail of the place in a public forum and expecting people to send e-mails voicing their displeasure with the whole thing. Can you, my good muslim lady, ensure that nobody is going to send death threats that may eventually involve the police and create a story that goes beyond a simple sheikh refusing to shake a woman's hand?

The sheikh himself did not seem to be bothered enough to make a fuss about this storm in a tea cup.

I fully understand yours and Ibti's intentions but I tell you clearly that they're wrong and help nobody (least of it all that sheikh). Nothing but impotent pride that causes more harm than good.

Naden   

I don't know why Sheikhs don't believe in gloves. He could wear a genuine leather pair and hit two canaries with one slingshot: maintain his state of physical purity and yet engage in a widespread, largely benign, form of human communication.

NGONGE   

^^ That's beside the point though. He's free to choose who he shakes hands with and who he does not. As long as he informs the other person politely they have no reason to be offended by his choice (religious or not).

Naden   

^ Withdrawing the award and giving it to someone else was strikingly foolish and low-brained, especially after agreeing to no-handshakes ahead of time. But not engaging in what is a daily form of greeting strikes me as aloof. You can wear gloves or do wudu'u afterwards.

OTOH, I do have an aversion myself to some cultural greetings such as a laser-precision mid-neck kiss with which an adolescent Somali girl greeted me and some friends in a wedding. Beyond being horrified, I felt slightly violated. I warn the universe that I will not engage in dracula greetings.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Naden:

OTOH, I do have an aversion myself to some cultural greetings such as a
laser-precision mid-neck kiss
with which an adolescent Somali girl greeted me and some friends in a wedding. Beyond being horrified, I felt slightly violated. I warn the universe that I will not engage in dracula greetings.

Maybe you and your friends are just a bunch of tall girls and the poor sister tried her best to reach your cheeks? :D (j/k)

chubacka   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

She's posting the e-mail of the place in a public forum and expecting people to send e-mails voicing their displeasure with the whole thing. Can you, my good muslim lady, ensure that nobody is going to send death threats that may eventually involve the police and create a story that goes beyond a simple sheikh refusing to shake a woman's hand?

Do you really think anyone would post them death threats? For what reason? I thought you were telling ppl to stop being so melodramatic?!

They treated someone they wanted to honour desrespectfully and yes if you have some time it wouldn't hurt to send them an email to complain about their bad treatment of the sheikh esp as he told them before hand about the situation.

Thats all she was asking ppl to do, y is everyone getting so worked up, if you think its an insignificant issue dnt email them!

NGONGE   

^^ I'm assuming your question was a rhetorical one and therefore I shall not answer it directly. However, what I'll repeat is that I believe posting their e-mail on a public discussion forum to be irresponsible.

Look, you need to get your anger about the mistreatment of the man out of the way and think, dispassionately, about this. First of all, what will a collection of poxy e-mails from irate Muslims achieve here? Is it a way for you (and here it is plural) to let off some steam and tell yourself that you 'at least did something'? Is it going to embarrass that organisation? Is it going to stop them from repeating the insult?

Would you really think sending the e-mails would achieve any of this (ignore the one about yourselves)? What, more than an article in an Irish popular newspaper and the UK's famous Times newspaper? Not to mention, of course, the various websites and e-mail alerts.

Now, if no good is going to come from it what is the other likely result?

Actually, lets turn it all round and find out what you feel about this African Centre. Try to be truthful with your feelings. Imagine that they're reading this website and that the ugly baby has had his milk and is now fast asleep (i.e. no danger of censorship). What would you say to the African Centre?

Ps

The YOU is plural here. Always plural.

^ arent you being a lil melodramtic yourself NG first of all ibti did not mention the name of an individual or post the email address of an individual... so your death threat theory is out of the window "info@africacentre.ie" is probably a distribution list or a group/shared mailbox @ best.

there is nothing wrong with making your displeasure known to them ... there is a possibility that someone might take notice and @ best give the good sh. a deserved apology or ignore it @ worst either way no skin off your nose !