Sign in to follow this  
Aisha

Afraid to wear hijab??

Aisha   

Yesterday I caught the train because I was on my way to my friend’s house. An older lady (btw 60-70 yrs of age) got off with me and we were walking in the same direction for awhile. She kept on sneaking glances at me which made me think she has islamaphobia and is afraid of me. I just ignored her and pretended I didn’t notice. She then stopped, looked over at me and asked; “Are you going to the mosque?” I replied; “No, I’m not”. Then there was an awkward silence so I asked her (just for the sake of saying something); “Are you going to the mosque?”. To my surprise, she answered yes! All this time I thought she was a non-Muslim but infact she is a Bosnian muslimah!!

So we continued to walk together and we were chatting. As we were reaching the masjid I could see the entire carpark completely full with security guards everywhere. I asked her; “What’s going on today?”. She said that it’s a big Muslim celebration. I was all confused and thought to myself well it’s not Eid so what else could it be?? She said that the big mullah of Bosnia has come to Australia. I was like…ok…..and?? I didn’t really see the reason for all the big fuss. So as we got closer she pulled out a piece of material and said to me with an embarrassed look on her face; “I’ll put the scarf on when I go inside”. I didn’t judge her at all but she felt like she had to justify to me why she doesn’t wear it. She said; “It’s dangerous to wear the hijab, especially in this country”. At that point my head was telling me not to say anything, that I’ll offend her, but my heart was screaming the words PREACH!! She continued to say; “…and besides, this way, nobody will know who I am or what I believe in”. I couldn’t help myself! I said to her; “You shouldn’t be afraid. There is nothing to be afraid of. You have Allah to protect you”. She kept on saying; “No, no it’s dangerous”. I asked her; “Then how come I’m not afraid? She replied; “Because you are young but I am old”.(aaawwww) I put my arm around her and told her “Don’t say that. Allah will be with you. I was going to ask her what are you going to say to Allah when he asks you why you have not covered. But I thought, that will only upset her. We reached the masjid, said our salams and off she went.

As I continued to walk I was thinking about what she said about the hijab. I felt so disappointed and sad. I wish I had more time to talk to her. It must be really hard to start wearing the hijab at her age huh? Subhanallah, this lady is in her golden years and can die any minute. She should be afraid of Allah and not the ppl!! But then again, we too can die any minute.

Rose   

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought old women were not obliged to wear hijab? I think it's worthy to note also that she may have worn it in her younger years..Allahu allam

Aisha   

^^True rose, but the impression I got from her is that it's a 'bad thing' to be wearing the hijab. That girls in western countries shouldn't wear it. Also I felt that she is ashamed to reveal her identity as a muslimah........Allahu Alam

Ibtisam   

Miskeen old lady, I Bosnian Muslims due to their recent history are kind of still fearful of identifying themselves as Muslims (although you would think, being uncovered and having blue eyes did not save you or hide you the first time around so might as well)

Rose: old women do not have to wear the full jalabib, they can make it light, (not take it off all together) i.e. a scarf or a shalamad.

Ms DD   

CG

WHilst Yokoi didnt hurt anyone else (except his cruel relatives)..didnt his actions seem extreme to you?

Aaliyyah   

I dont know why anyone should care what others say about them. Whether you wear the hijaab or not should be a personal choice, u shouldnt conduct yrself in a certain way because you are afraid of the society, or you are looking to attain acceptance. The only one you should seek acceptance from is Allah swt. so you all do make a du'a for that old woman, and all those ppl out there who are afraid to identify themselves as muslims. In contrast, we should be proud of the fact that we are muslims, and practicing muslims may I add.

wa salaaamu alaikum

Pucca   

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought old women were not obliged to wear hijab?

just how 'old' would one have to be?

as for the fear of wearing hijab...well they do say 'fear' is an odd thing, cant be understood half the time.

I put my arm around her and told her “Don’t say that. Allah will be with you.

You are very caring person may allah reward you..I think you did the right thing and i am sure if you had more time with her things would've been different..

Aisha   

^^Why thank-you playmaker! I'm flattered.

By the way, who's this 'Yokoi' character your all talkin about & why haven't I heard of him?? The name sounds japanese....

Janna   

Originally posted by *Aisha*:

Subhanallah, this lady is in her golden years and can die any minute.

Death does not discriminate. You too can die. :D Aisha it was sad to read the story. Perhaps you should have dismissed your friend and celebrated with the lady and politely invite her to your house to PREACH. :D