Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

Saturday 10th March Fundraiser-London

-Lily-   

A friend of mine is organizing a mini fundraiser, an afternoon of tea & refreshments to donate money for the recently displaced victims of Mogadishu, the money will be used to aid overflowing hospitals. This is not a super Do and the emphasis is based on collecting money not spending it. See you all there then!

Here is the e mail:

-------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

We have planned a get-together to lend our support to the victims of recent shelling in the capital and help those less fortunate Insha Allah. It will be a fun, informal afternoon of seeing friends and catching up, and more importantly giving a little of the blessings you have received.

The meeting will be on:

When: 10th March 2007

Time: 4:30pm to 7pm

Where: Iman restaurant

175 Seven Sisters Rd

London, UK

N4 3NS

TEL: 0207-2634122

Closest Tube Station: Finsbury park (2 min walk)

Please be there on time, and bring your friends with you, and should they refuse, their wallets will suffice. If you live outside of London, you can still get involved and donate money. Please do get in touch as we are counting on you. We would let you know where you can send your contribution.

-------------------------------------------------

Taliban   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

A friend of mine is organizing a mini fundraiser, an afternoon of tea & refreshments to donate money for the recently displaced victims of Mogadishu, the money will be used to aid overflowing hospitals. This is not a super Do and the emphasis is based on collecting money not spending it.

This doesn't sound a professional fundraising, one that could allay the suspicions of prospective contributors that the money (or the bulk of it) wouldn't be used for the gains of few individuals.

The manner the fundraising is being held is murky; you go to the restaurant, make the contributions, and voilà you leave. What/who guarantees the money would be used for what it's intended for?

My suggestion is to contact a respected Islamic relief agency, organize with them a fundraising event at a mosque, or make a particular fundraising page at the agency's website.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Taliban:

quote:Originally posted by -Lily-:

A friend of mine is organizing a mini fundraiser, an afternoon of tea & refreshments to donate money for the recently displaced victims of Mogadishu, the money will be used to aid overflowing hospitals. This is not a super Do and the emphasis is based on collecting money not spending it.

This doesn't sound a professional fundraising, one that could allay the suspicions of prospective contributors that the money (or the bulk of it) wouldn't be used for the gains of few individuals.

The manner the fundraising is being held is murky; you go to the restaurant, make the contributions, and voilà you leave. What/who guarantees the money would be used for what it's intended for?

My suggestion is to contact a respected Islamic relief agency, organize with them a fundraising event at a mosque, or make a particular fundraising page at the agency's website.
You have a simple choice. Donate at the dinner or by any other means. If your intention is to give as sadaqa you will be rewarded for it. Implying people will be dishonest without proof or even knowing them is not a good thing.

Lily, do let us know how it goes and do pay on our behalf :cool:

Taliban   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Implying people will be dishonest without proof or even knowing them is not a good thing.

Are you saying it's OK to trust people you don't know?

^^^ No you little one!, he means "ixtasib cala llaah". Simply put this fundraising was organised amongst friends and for friends.

Above all, I do trust Lily, don't you Taliban? :D

Cheers

N.O.R.F   

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

Implying people will be dishonest without proof or even knowing them is not a good thing.

Are you saying it's OK to trust people you don't know?
If you dont trust them dont pay! Simple. Use other means but by publicly stating so and so 'may' use sadaqa money dishonestly without knowing them has its own consequences dont you think?

Besides your intention and reward for sadaqa doesnt change

Cabdow   

Besides your intention and reward for sadaqa doesnt change

Exactly sxb... Aduunka waxaa u daran seef-labood.

London peepz show your support.

Thanks lily

Hunguri   

Mr Taliban, sxb avoid beign negative on each and every thing. I wonder what wld you get out of that. If you want to contribute do it and get the ajjar. Otherwise, politely mention the short comings and say. Let me tell you how !!

Dear Brothers and Sisters;

Please do this and that and dont do such and such! go on and go on!.

Sheekhoow, I thought, you were our Sheekh. Laakiin waad xuub siibanysaa. Hal mar ayaa waxaa kugusoo baxaysa waxyaalo fara badan oo caadifad ah oo niyyada kaaga jirta. Allaw yaa dadka dooxa :D . Maxaa bambooyin uurkooda jiifa smile.gif .

nuune   

^^^ Sheikhyadaa kala ah, suufiyada waxaaba dhici karto in ay kistoo bakhshiish ah soo shaqshaqdaan inteey meelaha soo xadreeyaan, hadhowna xoogaa ka bixiyaan waxey soo luflufteen, laakin Taliban suufina ma ahan, akhwaan muslimiina ma ahan, waa dawacadii socodka libaaxa iska raadisey, kiisana mey sameenin, keedina wey ka tagtey, dhaxdey ku luntey.

Taliban, be normal sometimes akhii, laakin ithaa qulta sa akhruju seyfii kulla daqiiqah bilaa sabab, ibtila kabiir kugu dhacee calaashaan mar aa lagu duqeenaa is jir, mar kasta ha iska dhigin qof saxsan.

Lilly, thanks dear for that information, glad you posted it here, I received the email from the friend as well, will be in touch soon Inshaa Allaah

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

^^^ No you little one!, he means "ixtasib cala llaah". Simply put this fundraising was organised amongst friends and for friends.

Above all, I do trust Lily, don't you Taliban?
:D

Cheers

I think we need to revive trust amongs us, cause one of the reason the Somali problem lasted this long is lack of trust. Oday fulaan saying he/she is from reer hebel, their great..great......grandfather ate Awoowe Quule's heart...in dagaalkii kuunyo-baroow, markii lo'da nalaka dhacay oo lagu dagaalay@lol...

And it said friends if I am not wrong or let us say associate....

There is a Somali Mosque in Tottenham that organized one for the drought victims last year and it was a relative success given their means.

At any rate, men and women mixing is unislamic, whatever the pretext may be; besides, they can just leave their details for people willing to contribute.

Let's hope other Somali communities abroad will show some organization skills for once to face this crisis...

-Lily-   

My Dear Taliban,

Your suspicious are well founded. Who are we to just take ppl’s money? How can I guarantee my money won’t be used to fund yet another militia? Or more sinister, who lives in that region and why should I give them money? This mistrust is one that has stopped many from wanting to donate. We have contacted one major Islamic Relief agency that actually works inside Somalia. Their response was they are more than happy to accept our donation but we cannot decide where and how it is spend. Unfortunately because of the extensive violence in the Mogadishu area most relief agencies willing to work in Somalia are based elsewhere. The truth is ONE of the ppl who are most in need at the moment are those who are stuck in Mogadishu and have been affected by the recent violence.

We could have organised something huge, something that would take more time, and more money to organise, to advertise and so on. But then we thought why spend money on organising an event whose sole purpose is to RAISE money. Not to mention how much Baraka will come out of a rave or other such events that have in the past been used as an excuse to raise money. The point of a fundraiser is to raise money, not to spend it.

We are not professional organisers nor do we have the time to organise such an event as help is needed NOW not in a couple of weeks. Secondly, ppl in London unfortunately have not been very forthcoming with help. The same question of ‘How do I know how my money is spent?’ is used to slam doors in your face. Surely £20 is something you can part with? We spend more than that on one dinner. There is no limit or level of money that you can donate. Like North said, it’s just a bunch of friends who decided to help out in a small way. Even if we raise £100-200 that will be a job well done as it can help someone in need. We leave the big Dos to the pros.

We are hoping ppl will donate with good intention, a chance to increase your sadaqa and do it for the sake of Allah. And if, God forbid, the money is mislaid Allah will still award you for your good deeds. As far as I know, the money is being sent via a major Xawalad, to be collected by an esteemed wadaad who will in turn inform as how pence by pence of it was spent(on things like blankets, painkillers etc). There may even be photographic evidence. The truth is you will never know 100% unless you trust, I know it’s a difficult thing but we are not asking for 100s of pounds.

Dijib , there is an account where ppl can donate...I ‘ll get the details.

Legend, thanks mate :cool:

Taliban   

Originally posted by Djib-Somali:

At any rate, men and women mixing is unislamic, whatever the pretext may be; besides, they can just leave their details for people willing to contribute.

Men and women mixing is something that has to be taken into account. That's why organizing a fundraising event at a mosque is the logical/preferable venue.

Originally posted by -Lily-:

Your suspicious are well founded. Who are we to just take ppl’s money? How can I guarantee my money won’t be used to fund yet another militia? Or more sinister, who lives in that region and why should I give them money? This mistrust is one that has stopped many from wanting to donate. We have contacted one major Islamic Relief agency that actually works inside Somalia. Their response was they are more than happy to accept our donation but we cannot decide where and how it is spend. Unfortunately because of the extensive violence in the Mogadishu area most relief agencies willing to work in Somalia are based elsewhere. The truth is ONE of the ppl who are most in need at the moment are those who are stuck in Mogadishu and have been affected by the recent violence.

We could have organised something huge, something that would take more time, and more money to organise, to advertise and so on. But then we thought why spend money on organising an event whose sole purpose is to RAISE money. Not to mention how much Baraka will come out of a rave or other such events that have in the past been used as an excuse to raise money. The point of a fundraiser is to raise money, not to spend it.

We are not professional organisers nor do we have the time to organise such an event as help is needed NOW not in a couple of weeks. Secondly, ppl in London unfortunately have not been very forthcoming with help. The same question of ‘How do I know how my money is spent?’ is used to slam doors in your face. Surely £20 is something you can part with? We spend more than that on one dinner. There is no limit or level of money that you can donate. Like
North said, it’s just a bunch of friends who decided to help out in a small way. Even if we raise £100-200 that will be a job well done as it can help someone in need. We leave the big Dos to the pros.

We are hoping ppl will donate with good intention, a chance to increase your sadaqa and do it for the sake of Allah. And if, God forbid, the money is mislaid Allah will still award you for your good deeds. As far as I know, the money is being sent via a major Xawalad, to be collected by an esteemed wadaad who will in turn inform as how pence by pence of it was spent(on things like blankets, painkillers etc). There may even be photographic evidence. The truth is you will never know 100% unless you trust, I know it’s a difficult thing but we are not asking for 100s of pounds.

Dear Lily,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.