Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Kenya rejects aid of 'dog food'

Cara.   

an offer of food aid from a New Zealand dog food manufacturer

The "offer" is from a private NZ citizen, not the government. Some of you are acting like Christine Drummond = New Zealand. What gives?

As for the offer itself: It's insulting, certainly, but methinks the lady doth protest too much. Drummond makes it clear that she herself eats the stuff, gross as it sounds. Are starving Africans above eating what wealthy Kiwis eat?

Paragon   

Abraar: Castro: walal, I would think it's the fault of those warmongering monstrous creatures called dictators rather the average poor and vulnerable African's fault.

Xaashaa Lillaah, Abraar. Actually those suffering in Kenya are predominantly Somalis living in the Northeast Provice. All people are created equal and insulting one section would be an insult to all humanity. May God help them.

Castro   

Originally posted by Callypso:

The "offer" is from a private NZ citizen, not the government. Some of you are acting like Christine Drummond = New Zealand. What gives?

Sure it's a private citizen of New Zealand. Just like the private newspaper in Denmark. Good Callypso, there's an unmistakable undercurrent of racism, xenophobia and hypocrisy gripping the west at the moment. I've been giving the benefit of the doubt for the better part of two decades saaxib. The writing is on the wall. It's on.

Cara.   

Castro, there is a distinct whiff of intolerance nowadays, but honestly, this just does not qualify. The woman clearly had a dumb blonde moment, but just as clearly she meant no harm. The reaction she's garnered is hardly rational.

The Danish newspaper's decision to offend Muslims in the worst way possible is another matter entirely.

Incidentally, The Kenyan gov't recently spent £7 million (that's upwards of $12 million dollars US) by splurging on a fleet of Mercedes and SUVs. Are they having a "Let them eat cake" moment, or what?

Baluug   

The first thing that came to my mind was "What an insult, this b*tch wants to humiliate the poor, starving people of East Africa by sending them dog food." But then I realized that's probably more than the gov'ts of these countries hit ny the famine are giving.

underdog   

So let me see if I'm following the "BIG" picture:

1)Some areas are hit with Drought/Famine that could be prevented by food produced in Kenya.

2)The necessary food is NOT being produced due to IMF/world bank Economic restructring programs that dictate what cash crops the country MUST produce in order to receive 'loans'.

3)'Loans' accepted and top officials are now cruising in S class benz to their lavish mansions while they roll up their windows to starving beggars on the street.

Man, if there was EVER an argument to support Talibanism Africa would be it.

Markaas, Ms. Drummond wants to 'donate' her excessive stock of of doggy chow (which is says is "yummy") to feed those skinny little black kids with the flies around their eyes.

We've so far from Marie Antoinette saying "If the people have no bread, let them eat cake." to "let them eat dog food"

But how pathetic is it that SHE'S the only one giving.

Castro   

Originally posted by Callypso:

Castro, there is a distinct whiff of intolerance nowadays, but honestly, this just does not qualify. The woman clearly had a dumb blonde moment, but just as clearly she meant no harm. The reaction she's garnered is hardly rational.

Are you telling me the owner (founder, CEO, or whatever) of a major manufacturing firm would be so gullible (dumb blond moment?) to offer dog food to starving humans? I reject that suggestion, good Callypso. The woman is a bigot and she's being appropriately lambasted.

We should lambast, equally, the corruption of the Kenyan administration but their greed is no less damaging than her prejudice.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Callypso:

Are you telling me the owner (founder, CEO, or whatever) of a major manufacturing firm would be so gullible (dumb blond moment?) to offer
dog
food to starving
humans
? I reject that suggestion, good Callypso. The woman is a bigot and she's being appropriately lambasted.

We should lambast, equally, the corruption of the Kenyan administration but their greed is no less damaging than her prejudice.
She may not necessarily be a bigot - she could be lacking common sense or sensitivity. After all if she eats it herself..........

But as others have notes - Africans have put themselves in this position.

Modesty   

If she says it's so yummy, why doesn't she feed it to her family, or is it that the life of her people are more precious than the lives of starving africans?

Modesty   

The Point, I don't think Africans placed themselves in this position, it is from years of colonism and imperialism. In a capitalist society their has to be unequal balance of wealth, that is why today their are people dying of obesity and on the other end of the spectrum those dying of starvation. It's unbelievable how their is so much food being generated in the world today, and so much technology yet the world is facing starvation never recorded in history before.Few companies control the food the world consumes, and it's in their interest to have people starving, they even destroy million pounds of food so that profit doesn't decrease. The saying Life isn't fair isn't just a saying.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Castro:

Actually their greed is much, much, helluva lot worse than her prejudice, real or otherwise. They are the ones starving their own people - causing countless deaths through their actions. The woman in question has actually offered to help - her offer is definitely insulting, it may also be bigoted but she has tried to take some action. And her ability to establish a successful company that actually helps living things(dogs) makes her a much better human being than the average African leader. :mad:

She said she was also sending 42 tons of maize.

"I am offering a natural food supplement... I am donating this food out of the goodness of my heart and to try and show that New Zealand is a loving country," Ms Drummond said.

She said she sprinkles the powdered supplement on her porridge every morning.

Seems like her heart is in the right place. She just wants to help. Plus...a nutritional powder isn't so bad. When I heard dog food, I thought she was sending over the tinned variety.

We live in a very strange world.