Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

UK

Elysian   

Finally my vacation begins next week. I had planned to spend most of my holiday in UK this year, and I'm a bit worried by the reports about floodings in England, not to mention all the terrorist activities going on (sounding like the average swede), how do you British people cope with all this smile.gif

There must be something extraordinary with your island, considering the number of somalis in scandinavia leaving for UK, we haven't seen this kind of emigration in scandinavian history since the colonization of America. At that time it was poverty that fueled the migration, today there is no such thing (!?) so what is the driving force??

I will come and see the promised lands of the united kingdom with my own eyes (well mostly London), the question is where should one start, what to see, what to avoid... is there a Somali's-guide-to-London by the way?

ElPunto   

^Scandinavia is a more or less xenophobic place with few job opportunities while the UK has everyone and everything. The drowning island is full of history - a good place to explore. I'd suggest picking up a tourist guide to give you a good sense of all there is - Fodors etc. Have fun. And take your umbrella and jacket.

N.O.R.F   

Elysian

I would advise you to see London for what it should be and not be stuck in a house full of islaamo. Go on trips via the tube (London Underground), visit Museums, go to Hyde Park, Edgware Rd, Oxford Street, London Eye, Westminster, Mayfair, eat in Queensway, see the animals at London Zoo, go and visit Mr Brown at 10 downing St and the Queen at Buckingham palace. Do the touristy thing before you do the Somali thing of sipping tea in houses and repeating 'al xamdullilah' all day.

Outside London only Sheffield is worth seeing. Whatever you do, dont go to Liverpool!

^^^LoooL...good advice tho....Stay away from the qaraabo until you complete exploring London...

Follow Norf's advice and Thou Shalt Be Fine!

Cheers

Dhubad.   

^^^^Don't forget to hop on the Sight Seeing Open Top Tour Buses. Its brilliant way to see around London.

Enjoy your holiday.

-Lily-   

Keep in mind you’re coming at the height of the holiday season, and for that reason be prepared for a lot of queuing, for attractions, in shops and even for tables in restaurants in central London. But don’t let that put you off. You’ll need lots of patience getting through crowds and crowdy places, just the other day I witnessed a Spanish lady loosing it because she though she was purposely pushed on the tube :rolleyes: .

The good thing you can get everywhere by tube very easy, it’s hard to get lost.

Don’t expect anyone to give you directions; they’re all tourists as the average Londoner tries to avoid ‘The Descend’.

Below is just a quick run off, this is a comprehensive guide with maps and advice you may find very useful, it even has routes and walks to see the best of the attractions.

Attractions

The obvious ‘Londony’ attractions are Big Ben/Houses of Parliament, London Eye (if you trust you life being suspended over a murky river, half an hour is really too long!),

Buckingham Palace, St James Palace & Park, Downing Street, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square etc.

Don’t forget to take a river cruise on Thames, you can see quiet a lot that way too.

Hampton Court Palace looks particularly beautiful in Summer, especially the elaborate maze gardens and it might be worthwhile a visit as it takes you out of the city centre and will be nice break from roaring traffic.

Since Hyde Park will be littered with half naked sunbathers, Richmond Park is the place for an out of the city park, walk by the river, there are many little boutiques and cafes scattered along that road and its quiet scenic and a lot quieter than downtown London. But it’s not spot in the middle of the city like Hyde Park. St James Park is also worthwhile.

Galleries

National Gallery (for traditional Western European art)

Portrait Gallery (quiet boring but they on the 5th floor they have this café & restaurant which has views all over Trafalgar square and the London skyline).

Tate Modern (for new arty stuff) & Tate Britain

Museums

British Museum

Victoria & Albert Museum (among other exhibitions has the now returned Jameel Islamic Art gallery, worth a visit)

National History Museum (if only for the architecture)

Summer Shows, Concerts & Theatre

There are 100s of shows, ticket outlets are scattered all over town but you can also buy directly form the theatre itself. I find lastminute usually has some good deals. The more advance you book the better seat and the less it will cost you.

Shopping smile.gif

Oxford Circus, all the flagship stores in one place.

Covent Garden, you’ll find nice cafes and many stores scattered on the little copper streets. There is also the Covent Garden market which sells weird and wonderful things. If you find yourself there on a Monday, stick around till lunch time, there is usually Opera singing in the market square (don’t ask me how I know), not unusual since the Royal Opera House is also situated on the square.

If you want to avoid the crowds though local shopping centres tend to be big enough & have most shops.

Somali London

If you want to buy say Diracs or scarf’s or Somali music the best place to head for is Shepherds Bush and Southall (be prepared for a bit of eyeing up in Southall, and yes this is still the case even if you wear a ninja style jilbaab, just don’t make eye contact whatever you do).

There are about 4 Somali restaurants I know of

Ocean in Shepherds Bush (although I heard it turns into an ‘istag-ku-dirir’ venue after 3pm, can’t be certain if this has been tackled.

The Village in Hammersmith

You can actually eat in there undisturbed

Iman in Wood Green

And some other place, I forgot the name, it’s in Kilburn.

If I think of anything else I’ll be sure to add it. Enjoy your holiday.

Elysian   

ThePoint, which society is not more or less xenophobic? I find swedish people to be very kind and polite, perhaps not the most open-minded or accommodating ones, but for families there are great opportunities for their kids to grow up in a safe environment, with good education, health care and social welfare system. If I may generalise, I think for many somalis the nomad life aya dhiiga kaga jirta, going from one place to another finding their home wherever there is buuq iyo bulsho.

North lol... I know what you mean but it's not islaamo that I fear, but my cousins who all got married at a young age, and are now having on average one child every other year (is there some kind of competition among the somali girls in UK?). I love them and I love kids, but I don't want to spend my holiday in kindergarten. Why not Liverpool by the way?

Legend from Zu mountains and Dhubad, thanks I'A I'll enjoy my trip.

Oh, dear Lily mucho gracias sis... that was good info really.

be prepared for a bit of eyeing up in Southall, and yes this is still the case even if you wear a ninja style jilbaab, just don’t make eye contact whatever you do

^^lol I'll wear sunglasses :cool:

What is Iman in Wood Green?

Blessed   

^Iman is in Finsbury Park (not my lovely WG@ Lily) and a great waste of space, bad food and has turned into a bit of a Faarax joint. :rolleyes: Two words, don't bother!

I think Lily gave you great advice. Make sure you go to the theatre, that's the best thing Britain has given to the world and good ol fish and chips smile.gif

Check out the www.thisislondon.co.uk website and http://www.ukislamicevents.net/london.html for Muslim events.

Sheffield is only good for the stunning mountain top views, it being to the beautiful Lake District and I suppose Meadow Hall (Shopping Centre) is alright.

An interesting place to visit is Camden Market (but try and avoid it on a Saturday when it gets turned into punksvill)

-Lily-   

Thanks for the correction Zenobia, I was smuggled in there one eve last winter, it was very confusing, all I know is that it was North London and I didn’t try the food, had some tea and biscuits and then we left. Annoying how men just take over cafes and make it a male-dominated hang out.

I couldn’t agree more about the theatres, its probably one of the best things about London.

NGONGE   

Don't go to Sheffield. You know the floods you were talking about in your first post? That's Sheffield that is. :D

Go to Liverpool if you can. It's right in the middle of the North West and very close to all the other minor cities (like Manchester and Sheffield, etc). Do you like the Beatles? :D

Elysian   

I have to go to Cardiff (agony, agony), and hopefully quickly move on to Manchester, Liverpool (anything under water there?).

lol NGONGE, No I'm not a Beatles fan... do they have a Beatles museum, beatles tour in Liverpool? Perhaps if I have nothing better to do.

Thanks Zenobia! Camden Market - in London??

Mowgli   

On a recent trip to Cardiff, I nearly attacked but what can only be described as a horny peacock (they roam free on the grounds of Cardiff Castle)...so whatever you do when taking pictures...dont get too close.

Elysian   

Had some bad weather during my Ireland and UK trip, but nevertheless I had a really good holiday. Good to see some of you SOL mates ;)

Just wanted to share these pictures that I took when I was at Greenwich, London. It was sunset, a live band was jazzing and the atmosphere was amazing...

1258325047_cf69ea249d.jpg1259183376_702b5a97f7.jpg