Sign in to follow this  
Hawdgirl

High Heels and the appeal of the Somali Lady

Hawdgirl   

Dear Nomads, I have lately noticed that all of our ladies, whether young or old have adopted a habit of wearing high heels eventhough some of them have a hard time walking on them, including myself,

So any ideas as to what have created it, did it become a fashionable style, don't they know that it has some connotations to it as this article indicates,

The western style of living, wuu ka waaley dadkeena in the diaspora, alloow noo naxariiso

High and Mighty

The vampish appeal of high heels

By Anne Erickson

advertisement

The quintessential high-heel moment happens in the finale of the movie Grease. Good girl Sandy decides to transform herself into a bad girl. She trades her full skirt and sweater set for skin-tight pants and an off-the-shoulder T-shirt. But more importantly, she trades her flats for a pair of red mules with towering heels.

Her somewhat reluctant boyfriend, Danny, sees Sandy in all of her newly sleazy glory and falls to the dirt, groveling lustfully. She flicks a cigarette to the ground, squashes it out with that dangerous-looking shoe, and then mock-kicks her man in the chest with the same spike-clad foot.

Dancing and singing commence (Grease is, after all, a musical), but we all know what Sandy and Danny are doing as the credits roll...

High heels often play a supporting role in life's more suggestive scenes. "They're the most dramatic fashion a woman can wear," says Bruce Gray, an L.A. artist who sculpts 6-foot-tall spike heels and curates an online homage to these sexy shoes (www.highheelmuseum.com).

The most recent crop of slim stiletto heels all send the same message. It doesn't matter what age you are. When you slip into a pair of these, you're temporarily trading the good girl for the vamp.

Stilettos for 20-somethings: The woman credited with being the 'mother' of high heels, Catherine de Medici, was only 15 when she followed a courtesan's advice and wore them during her 16th-century wedding to create the illusion of maturity.

Some things never change. This season's slim stilettos are very grown-up, and quite a departure from the funky platforms of the past. Roman-style straps that climb up the leg will add some playfulness to this look. Even the King of Chunky Heels—Steve Madden—has a skinny-heeled sandal with gladiator straps this summer.

Stilettos for 30-somethings: You've been around long enough to avoid that "I'm playing dress-up with mommy's shoes" look. And you probably know how to walk in these babies by now. If you want a break from being a mommy yourself, slip into something red. "Red is always the best color for high heels," says Gray, who favors a fire-engine shade for his oversized shoe sculptures. Calvin Klein has a red stiletto with a thin ankle strap that'll get a lot of attention if you wear it out for the evening. If you buy these and you have a daughter, I guarantee she'll steal them for her own dress-up adventures.

Stilettos for 40-somethings: Did you know that high heels make your booty protrude by about 25%? Don't believe me? Stand up right now, put your hands on your upper butt, and go up on your tiptoes. Pretty amazing, huh? Add some sex appeal to slacks for the office with a slim pair of black Chanel pumps boasting a thin, metal heel that's the opposite of corporate casual. And if you wobble on those three-inch heels, steel yourself with this knowledge: Bruce Gray has a pair of non-platform, 7-inch heels in his possession. "Most women can't even wear them, they're just too high."

Stilettos for 50-somethings: Of course any podiatrist would advise against wearing high heels in the first place, but Gray disagrees. "Most people in the know say you shouldn't be wearing them all the time, but for special occasions it's okay." If comfort is a priority, look for a pump instead of a strappy sandal, and just wear these sexy beasts for short stints. Helmut Lang has a pump that's plain, black and pointy as heck. And, unlike some sandals, you can slip these off under the table where no one can see!

Hawdgirl   

Fashion beel, fashion muxuu taraa hadii kilyo xanuun laga qaadaayo, lol

Excuse my language but we all do

things that are regretable, although we may not

know the consequences, or on the other hand

we might, and do it for the sake of fashion, style, acceptance,

Peer pressure comes to mind?

I thought this ideaology was only among the teens but I guess it is among us humans...as a whole

Pujah   

High heels are hot, any woman worth her cusbo sports it….as they say xarago xanuun maleh :cool:

Hawdgirl   

Nomads wether you agree it or not, wearing high heels does have an effect on the lady,

Ati, xarago xanuun ma leh,

Ha ka saarto hee!

High heels may affect a woman's fertility an expert claimed recently.

The trends for wearing killer heels may also affect your chances due to the 'unnatural' way the body tips forward when you wear shoes.

This is the first time that fertility has been mentioned if a woman wears shoes higher than five inches. Health and Fitness Expert David Moy told the Daily Mail:" If you value your health in any way at all then avoid these killer heels at all costs, they're just not worth the risk."

He added that the potential problems are caused when:" you wear heels as the pressure on the front of the foot causes you to compensate by excessive forward tilting of the pelvis."

This tilting allows the abdomen to spill forward and in doing so compressing internal organs in a condition called visceroptosis. If unchecked this can lead to menstrual dysfunctions increases I period pains as well as affecting the ability to conceive.

Ibtisam   

Hawdgirl woman's fertility is affected if

she wears shoes
higher than five inches.

The average is 3inches, and most shoe shops do not make higher than 4.5inches, so i guess it is a very small % that wear above 5inches.

Sheherazade:

You have to consistently wear either flats or high heels. The reason being that depending on which ones you wear, it changes your posture, allocation of body weigh etc, so your body needs to adjust to the change (which can take up to six months of consistently wear either flats or heels- not alternating.

If your feet hurt then you need to find out what style is best suited to you, for example if you have broad feet, you cannot wear pointy heels or pointy flats as they will hurt/damage your feet, and if you have high instep you can't wear round toes or straps. Also wear real leather and suede not plastic or velvety material.

Blessed   

Flat, flats are not good for you and anything above 1 and 1/2 is a no, no!

These need to be banned.. Yuck!

miu-miu-baroque-wedges.jpg

RedSea   

^lol...there you have it ladies. Lily, I am guesing you are tall then.

The whole idea behind high heels was to boost your height . Yes as everything it has evolved into 'fasion'. lool

For example, one day a guy was washing his jeans, when he accidently bleached them or another guy was ironing his pants when he burned it accidently. Since he had nothing else to put on, he wore them, then went outside with them and the next thing you know it has hit the department stories and at the present it's considered a 'fashion' even I wear bleached up jeans at times. lool

Pucca   

what shoes do you wear to an oh-so-important interview?

your oh-so comfy flats or those hot but painful heels?

anyone who answers flats is just kidding themselves or just hasnt had an interview in a long time, 'high' heels arent proper but an inch or 1/2 is usually what is expected. So heels are not a 'fashion' thing, its become a weapon of sorts, a woman wearing heels puts out the whole 'independent, working woman' attitude compared to a woman who's wearing flats.

Its not my viewpoint but its what you can find in plenty of articles...heck in one article *i have alot of time going to and from school* stated that woman wearing heels are taken seriously (which is so not true..men will just stare at your 'ahems'...and pretend to be listening).

Hawdgirl   

High heels are a must

for every occasion...

So sistas wear high heels all the way

that is if you know how to walk on them..hehehe

qub- qac, qub,,qac,,, qub,,,qac...lol

There goes Xaliimo pretending to be Hannah...lol