Suldaanka

Germans pull out of Somalia effort citing lack of progress

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/germany-pulls-military-trainers-out-of-somalia-after-eight-years_620447.html

Germany pulls military trainers out of Somalia after eight years

Berlin (dpa) - Germany‘s military pulled the plug Thursday on an eight-year-old training programme for Somali troops, citing problems with local institutions and supplies for the trainees.

"Despite the efforts of the EUTM [European Union Training Mission] Somalia, building up the Somalian national army is only progressing slowly," according to a German Defence Ministry statement.

Germany cited problems including "deficits in political and institutional structures, as well as the poor quality of equipment distributed to Somalian trainee soldiers."

Thus, the 20-strong German team, which has been working in the war-torn nation since 2010, will pull out its squad by the end of March.

The German team‘s work was part of a broader effort to train Somali forces to fight off the al-Shabaab militant group, which controls large parts of Somalia and wants an Islamist state in the country.

The larger EU mission is made up of 155 trainers from 12 countries. Despite its withdrawal, Germany said Thursday it hoped to find ways to support the Somalian effort politically.

Oodweyne,

You really are predictable!!  EU mission has been 'training' Somali army for ages now. It is clear the mission hasn't fulfilled its stated goal.  The Americans train special forces (Danab, Alpha, etc). Though these forces are available to the Federal Government, It is the Yanks that pay them. I prefer the Turks who have actual presence and built a training academy. They not only train the regular army but also building new, uniformed officer corps, something that's badly needed.

The Turks are better option, maybe the only viable way to create a defense force with unified command  structure that only answers to the Somali Government, not UE, EU, etc.

So I say again, I hope the rest follows.

The EU might have the means and know-how, but the whole system they put in place ain't working, there's no point in hoping they would change. And their financial contribution hasn't made any changes though to be fair, a lot of that is beyond their control.

As for the Alshabab, I have no particular, ideological bent towards what they believe in or wanted for Somalia but what they did have was the capacity to fight and that's very useful at a time when my city of birth was mercilessly bombarded by Ethiopians. I did initially support Yeey  ( a fellow MJ) and his government (and my posts regarding that are buried in SOL archives) but the day he came to Xamar on top Ethiopian  tank was it for me. It was important to me that Ethiopians leave Xamar running and Alshabab among others were playing a big role in doing that. What would you have Somalis do? Sit and obey? Xamar is consequentially Somali, the heart and soul of a nation.

Alshabab are evil and repugnant yes, but they did serve a purpose at that moment in history. It is beyond me how anyone not support the very people that are defending their land and nation. Maybe it is my years living among Yanks, to me, everything is utilitarian. I will support something as long as I think it is serving a good purpose. Alshabab has lived beyond its usefulness. Like many Somali political/militant groups before them, they have failed to adapt or sense the coming change. The smart ones among them should have at-least tried to play nice with TFG considering Sheikh Sharif was the head.

Even the Islamic Courts could have played nice with Abdullahi Yusuf.

Another thing about Xamar, to me, Xamar is xudunta of all Somalis regardless of its current status and it would have been utterly shameful if the Ethiopians were still there today enjoying the warm waters of the Indian ocean.  And in general, I do sincerely believe Ethiopia poses an existential threat to Somalis, they are not walaalaha jaarka ah as many mini-lands that is the former republic would  like to say. Only foul would believe Ethiopia is a friend and only a fool would object to Ethiopians being cleansed from Somalia at any cost.

My politics is shaped by circumstances. I welcomed Farmaajo and Kheyre because they hold some promise that's before they started behaving Puntland and Somaliland and start handing ONLF members. They could still turn around their government.

I object to Musa Biixi and misadventures as there are no real value to his war, all I see thousands displaced and many more dead Somalis. Your politics seems to be determined by an insane obsession with the past that is holding you back from imagining the future, a future in which Somalis are peace with each other and are not under the control of Arabs, other Africans or USA/EU.

5 EXPERTS, with money and backing, is useful. It is a loss for SOMALI government and should try to renegotiate.

Germany should reverse this decision, the mistakes will be corrected and addressed.

Does this mean Djibouti is either leaving or less interested? The Germans went and were using Djibouti connections.

As for the numbers, even one person is useful. Even if its simply diplomatic. Who ever comes as friend need to be treated that way, even if suspected of other issues.

1 hour ago, Oodweyne said:

Che,

Saaxiib, you do genuinely flatter yourself to a degree I didn't know it would be healthy for any man to do so. Or for that matter, that, it's even double to do it in so verbally.

If there's a person who mastered  the art of  "nin isfaanaay waa ri insuugtay",  you are it, from celebrating your maternal grandfather who was shamelessly (at least according to you) was a party to one of the biggest tragedies to ever befallen on the Somali nation to your never-ending drumbeat for military prowess of a tribal militia headed by  a warmonger who wants to plunge Somalis into another meaningless war, Sir, your self-congratulatory tone, supposed intellectual depth and self-professed all things Somali history is matched by no one on this board.

And I hate to burst your little bubble, your very existence and history was and is shaped by the White Man and his henchmen. After all, you are defending an imaginary border curved out by two white nations, you had no say in what  they did. While you might blame other Somalis, the circumstance in which you find yourself has its roots in another's doing. And what's more you do seek their recognition, you even made a campaign of out it. Should a man white from the land of "depraved" come calling, I will bet every dollar I will ever make, you will be jumping with joy!

And you can run from Somalis all you want, your fate is inexorably linked to theirs. No amount of bravado or alternative existence or some warped reality can or will change that. So play nice and don't let your very existence solely defined by the past.

19 hours ago, Che -Guevara said:

As for the Alshabab, I have no particular, ideological bent towards what they believe in or wanted for Somalia but what they did have was the capacity to fight and that's very useful at a time when my city of birth was mercilessly bombarded by Ethiopians. I did initially support Yeey  ( a fellow MJ) and his government (and my posts regarding that are buried in SOL archives) but the day he came to Xamar on top Ethiopian  tank was it for me. It was important to me that Ethiopians

Even the Islamic Courts could have played nice with Abdullahi Yusuf.

Che,

Are you saying that Shiek Aweys is more Somali than Late Abdullahi Yusuf? Put it another way Are you saying that Shiek Aweys has proven time and again he had any constructive view or attitude towards Somalis more than that of Yey?

I will comment after you adress my questions if possible, in case I have misunderstood you.

But generally my view is that Somalia could have been reconstituted then, and was best opportunity in the last 25 years, if it was not for the personal vendetta Shiek Aweys had supported by some war lords who change their stand with the wind.

There was no body at the time, other than Yey that can tell Ethiopia, thank you and our trust and friendship of long years will continue. Somalia will not harm Ethiopia and Ethiopia will do like wise.

Remeber Ethiopians came to Puntland to help Yey during the Ali-Jama and Al Ithad challenges.

Shiek Aweys is kind of person that can order killing of late Dr. Abdemejid by Al Ithad. But when he was in trouble he was first one to negotiate through messengers from some clan which I won't mention for his safety.

Late Abdullahi Yusuf on the other hand spent almost 6 years in Mengistu Ethiopian prison for preventing Ethiopia erecting a flag, claiming Somalia republic territory.

Oodweyne,

First thing, I spoke of no somalinimo and even I did, I won't be lectured by a secessionist whose energy and time is being wasted on the further dismemberment of Somalis and Somali lands along imaginary lines.

I managed to waste good five minutes thinking you might actually present more persuasive arguments with some substance. You did concede your Somaliland is someone else's creation but beyond that, all I saw your usual verbiage, just repackaged differently. Your argument is akin to Mexican food, same beans, rice, salsa, guacamole, etc. just packaged differently.

Observer,

Where I have mentioned Xasan Aweys?

P.s,

Oodweyne,

Your rebuttal also reminds of David Nunes memo, hyped up and meant to distract and exonerate Trump. It became  more of indictment than vindication.

2 hours ago, Che -Guevara said:

Observer,

Where I have mentioned Xasan Aweys?

Al Ithad, ICU, Al Shabab all morph one to the other, one constant link being Shiek Aweys who seems to be present in all of them. He was most prominent in Al Ithad and ICU that is a fact every Somali knows.

Since you thought ICU would be nice to Yey, that means you ignored Aweys and Ali Jama the two persons who absolutely would not work with Yey at the time.

Does Somalia need to be enemy of Ethiopia for a person to be good Somali or Somalia. I don't think so. These are peoples for ill or good have been interacting like since Adam and Eve as westerners say.

Where do you think Ethiopian opposition goes when times are difficult or defeated? Never heard much about south, but everywhere in the north you have Habeshi opposition that quietly settled. Same with the Somali. Where do you think the leaders who were alive when Italy defeated the Boqor went? Ethiopia. Not official but just stay low among the people.

There is more than 6 million Somalis in Ethiopia. Would your attitude change if I told you that Al Shabab is enemy number one to every Somali in Ethiopia, for the simple reason that Al Shabab have no interest the Somali to be fairly comfortable in Ethiopia.

Until another round in next generation if its in the Somali interest at that time, for now lets live and let live. If you think the Somalis in Somalia are only waring tribes, lets not wish it, but if kilil 5 joins the chaos it will completely put out of shape even things that have been straightened.

Why do we always acuse a Somali that can work with Ethiopia as traitor? Why can't a Somali in Mogadishu be more lethal traitor? Actually Ethiopia is neighbor. Its going no where. You might as well deal with it as your force, unity, strength allows you.

Do you think the Somali is less of a spy than a Habeshi? I think you are aware that the french, americans, british may look same, but sometimes sabotage each other worst than enemy.

I think Farmaajo is handling things fairly well. The non interference with Ethiopia includes all fields. Ethiopia for its own sake will observe it and Somalia as well for its own sake. If SFG is weakened it will be by Somalis in or about Somalia. Neither Ethiopia or Kilil 5 have any interest or wish to do ill in Somalia. Of course if SFG works with Egypt or Eritrea all bets are off.

Eritrea of course Puntland would not allow SFG to have any reapproachement, before Eritrea redresses what they tried to dismantle Puntland. Just a peace of information for you the Boqor would have survived longer on land battles against Italy, but Italy brought Eritreans who can fight and live in the environment, better aremed, better supplied, transported and played major role, but that is not the deep seated non friendly to say the least relation between Puntland and Eritrea.

The latest is related to Al-Ithad, ICU and Shabab, Galmudug and somee in Mogadishu warlords.

3 hours ago, Oodweyne said:

Che,

peculiar short-coming on your part.

dear ninny.

your meager and mean intelligence in full alert mode

My god what a block-head do we have in here?

And I thought I was debating with a half-decently intelligent person 

"taking you to school", 

"poor grasp

"inherent low quality" 

you, dear ninny.

Psychologists and psychiatrists call this defensive narcissism.