Khayr

Jyllands-Posten-Danish newspaper does it again

Khayr   

Writers attack 'Islamism'

Brand ideology 'new totalitarian threat' to world

Document called racist, provocative by many Muslims

Mar. 2, 2006. 08:03 AM

FRANCINE KOPUN

Islamism is the new totalitarianism, according to a controversial manifesto published this week in European papers and signed by 12 prominent writers worldwide,
including Toronto's Irshad Manji, and Salman Rushdie,
who remains the subject of a fatwa for his 1988 novel, The Satanic Verses.

"After having overcome cafascism, Nazism and Stalinism, the world now faces a new totalitarian threat: Islamism," reads the statement, published on the front page yesterday of Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that sparked violent worldwide protests when it ran ricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

The manifesto calls Islamism "a reactionary ideology which kills equality, freedom and secularism wherever it is present" and the authors urge "resistance to religious totalitarianism and ... the promotion of freedom, equal opportunity and secular values for all."

Many Muslims were strongly critical of the document, however, calling it racist and provocative.

In addition to
Rushdie and Manji, the author of The Trouble with Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith, the signatories include French philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy; Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a Somali-born Dutch MP; Philippe Val, the editor of Charlie Hebdo, the left-wing French paper that republished the cartoons to show solidarity with the Danish paper, and Ibn Warraq, a U.S. academic and author of Why I am Not a Muslim.

The manifesto was also published in Charlie Hebdo. Manji expects that it will appear in several more European papers this week.

"I decided to do it because it's important for the public to know that even a faithful Muslim can — and does — support free expression," Manji wrote in response to questions emailed to her by the Star. "Tolerance of intolerance is a betrayal of our basic and shared humanity."

She said she's anticipating hostile reaction from Muslims like the one who said to her last week:
"You and that ******* partner Rushdie ..."
but says she's received lots of support from younger Muslims especially, who want to reconcile religious belief to free expression.

She calls that good news. "Only five years ago, such a statement would have been almost universally condemned by Muslims. Now, more and more reform-minded Muslims are discovering their voices."

Some Canadian Muslims deplored the manifesto.

"It's quite a childish kind of ranting of these people. I also note a kind of desperation in their tone," said Zafar Bangash, President of the Islamic Society of York Region. He said some of the signatories are lapsed Muslims, including Rushdie. "All of these people are misfits as far as Muslims are concerned. What they are saying is quite racist and is Islamophobic."

The manifesto will serve only to increase Islamophobia, which is already on the rise, said Jamal Badawi, professor emeritus at St. Mary's University in Halifax. Depicting the Prophet Muhammad as a terrorist in the cartoons, which were reprinted in Europe, the U.S., and three publications in Canada, implied that he preached terrorism. The cartoons fostered the idea that Muslims who follow his path are terrorists who should be subjected to mockery, hate and violence, he said.

Muslims in Denmark were also critical of the manifesto, according to a news story to appear in Jyllands-Posten today, said the paper's night editor Steen Hansen. "They think it's too confrontational, too right-wing extremist."

He would not comment on why the paper chose to run the manifesto. The editor-in-chief of the paper has taken the position that there will be no comment on the matter, he added.

The manifesto was one of at least three to appear this week, calling for calm in the Muslim world in the wake of weeks of violent protests in which dozens of people have been killed.

Yesterday, nationalreview.com, the Web base for the conservative American news magazine of the same name, published "A Muslim Manifesto," calling for an end to the violence.

"A zeal for Allah is rightful only when it is expressed in an enlightened manner, since Allah himself has ordained a restrained response," wrote Mustafa Akyol, a writer and journalist based in Turkey, and Zeyno Baran, director of International Security and Energy Programs at The Nixon Center.

Baran said yesterday that reaction after the first day of the posting was generally positive. If moderates fail to speak up, Islam will be taken over by political extremists, she said.

"If you politicize Islam then it's not Islam anymore and the whole religion becomes polluted by that," she said. "It is for the moderate Muslims and the average Liberal Muslim a huge threat that these people are becoming mainstream. Moderate Muslims have to start speaking out against them."

Earlier in the week, a plea from 11 Canadian Muslim academics and activists ran on the Star's opinion page, urging Canadian politicians and intellectuals to defend freedom of expression.

Source

Baluug   

Islam-"ism"? These people just never stop thinking of ways to distort our beautiful diin. Our religion is actually the only non-"ism" out there. There's christian-"ity", juda-"ism", buddh-"ism", among others, while we have "Islam", not Islam-"ism". Oh well, only the truly uninformed and the right-wing nutcases will actually believe this garbage anyways.

Ibtisam   

^^so what do you call individuals who have twisted interpretations of Islam, fundamentalist, Islamist countries (Government regimes that claim shirah Rule) while abusing people, and murdering to maintain their rule.

I understand what you are saying, but we must understand that the term "Islamism" exist because there are extreme Muslims, it is not a western invention intended to offend Muslims. There are Muslims who via there actions give the Muslims a bad name. When people can not distinguish between Islam and The actions of individuals, as far as they are concerned Islam is the problem. I personally think it is misunderstanding of the scripture, its legislations and most of all, the implementation of those instructions that is the problem. The direct result is that Islam gets brushed under the table as a backward ideology based on 7th century revelation that is out of touch now.

Before someone jumps the bandwagon, i do not and did not support the papers previous actions nor their current story, and i am not justify it, just showing a different perspective.

Cheers

Khayr   

Originally posted by ibtisam:

^^so what do you call individuals who have twisted interpretations of Islam, fundamentalist, Islamist countries (Government regimes that claim shirah Rule) while abusing people, and murdering to maintain their rule.

Ibtisam,

when's the last time you lived/visited Iran or Afghanistan? Or are you re-affirming anti-islamic agenda via IMAGES that are pushed by the media e.g. bbc, fox,cnn...etc.?

I understand what you are saying, but we must understand that the term "Islamism" exist because there are extreme Muslims, it is not a western invention intended to offend Muslims. There are Muslims who via there actions give the Muslims a bad name. When people can not distinguish between Islam and The actions of individuals, as far as they are concerned Islam is the problem. I personally think it is misunderstanding of the scripture, its legislations and most of all, the implementation of those instructions that is the problem.
The direct result is that Islam gets brushed under the table as a backward ideology based on 7th century revelation that is out of touch now.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You can't base what is GOOD with Personal Liking. Thats Moral Relativism.

Before someone jumps the bandwagon, i do not and did not support the papers previous actions nor their current story, and i am not justify it, just showing a different perspective.

Cheers

Is that your Disclaimer? :rolleyes:

Baluug   

She does have a point, some Muslims are using thire diin for their own personal gain, and Allah SWT is the One who will judge us all, but this article in particular does not look like it wants to address those issues, rather tarnish Islam altogether. This is the same paper that published the cartoons in the first place, and we cannot expect an unbiased review in such a pile of steaming xaar that is the Jyllands-Posten.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Mr. Jibis:

a pile of steaming xaar that is the Jyllands-Posten.

:D:D:D

Hey Ngonge,

Your favorite characters (Rushdie and Manji)have been rounded up by JP (the danish news paper). To you, do they still stand for 'Dialogue' in the muslim world?

Now I am really sorta thinking who the hell runs that Danish paper? It is like two nutcases sitting in a shed and going, 'who shall we take the piss of tomorrow, mate. Let us do Islam, man. They've been getting hell lot of coverage, and they would make good lot to piss off?'.Outrageous. I mean for God sake, Islam and muslims, most of the time, have nothing to do with each other. You look at Islam as a religion, as a system and the glorious history when Islam was perfectly put to practice and one would see that Islam is no 'ism' or utilitarian - whatever those terms mean. I think these guys (the paper and western intellectuals) are pissing their pants when they think of the influence and magnitude that Islam presents to the current almost-established status quo, i.e. western ideals or whatever you call it. But in fact, I think Islam is totally nothing to be scared of. If it put to work efficiently (in its purest form), I think it would be humanities' safer. I guess it is just fear coupled with prejudice and the fear of the unknown that is getting all these anti-islamists so worked up. But hey worked up or not, promise of the Lord is that this earth will be enherited by those who believe in Allah! Period.

Now, go on, you (all kuffars) can piss in your pants even more!

-Lily-   

^^^ They seem to be inventing a new phrase everyday. Now there is something called 'Jihadists', I mean what the **** does that mean? As if extremists/fundementalists/Islamists wasnt enough. I wonder what it will be tmwr? Quranists? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is disturbing. I think it's good we record the things that are said. All I can say is, the Jews of Europe didn't wake up one day and were gassed.

Originally posted by Khayr:

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Jibis:

a pile of steaming xaar that is the Jyllands-Posten.

:D:D:D

Hey Ngonge,

Your favorite characters (Rushdie and Manji)have been rounded up by JP (the danish news paper). To you, do they still stand for 'Dialogue' in the muslim world?
Tell me Khayr why do you have to drag Ngonge into this? Again...

And For your sake, you need to understand what the quran says about how to deal with those who conspire against Islam? what will you say when you are abused because of your religion? How would you react to such accusation? It is time you need to understand that Istihzaa' has never benefited to those who commit it and has never undermined the integrity of its intended victims.

Newspapers and commentators like the forementioned have no intention but to damage your integrity and that happens Only when you react to it in non strategic and short term verbal/physical outrage.

Incase, you dont realise Salman Rushdie and Nadji and their likes have done for Islam a greater service which they have never intended or wanted. So Dude, Stop Screaming everytime you see things like this and stop crying over it! and more over Stop bringin Ngonge to every topic and discussion.

Cheers

I beleive they should address the issue .. Xalimism , I mean it is totaly against the freedom of Modern Faarax all around the world. I see every where I go faraxphopia and it is getting out of hand. u see pro rightwing xalimists preaching that all farax's are out of work, uncommitted, lazy and on top of that they are skinny. This is a call to all farax's around the world, it is to to stand for freedom and equality, and stop this new totalitarianism , we have exactly the tool to do so Xalimo Manifesto! .

^^^^kix kix kix :D You probably thinking this is silly, that is as silly as these folks are sounding at jyland postens and their comrades.

'Is it only me or is this sounding like they want to make Islam and Communism the same thing. I mean they are using the same words and pointing people the same way.

First it was You are a Communist! now they got words like Islamist!

The "communist Manifesto" now they got "Muslim Manifesto" :confused:

Ok people, if you want to know where this thing is leading us, just learn how they approached communism and basicly that is the steps that they are taking. But little do they know, this religion is not in the hands of people but in the hands of the creator who decrees everything :D

The words of the prophet s.c.w to abuubakar

"laa taxsin, ina laaha macanaa'

the tightest wordz i heard yet so far.

Baashi   

Go Athena go... :D

That sums up wallahi...really! As they say pictures speak louder than 1000 words.

Eesh calaa post Amelia.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

Incase, you dont realise Salman Rushdie and Nadji and their likes have done for Islam a greater service which they have never intended or wanted. So Dude, Stop Screaming everytime you see things like this and stop crying over it! and more over Stop bringin Ngonge to every topic and discussion.

Cheers [/QB]

I agree with some of things you said in the rest of your response.

But at the end, you confused 'Personal Liking' and 'Irritation' with what is GOOD and what is RIGHT.

Alhamdulillah, calla kuliye xaal...

This danish newspaper is feeding the fuel for their own fire. To conjure up a bunch of Murtaadeen/those that left islam and a bunch of munafiqeen who make their fame and fortune from bashing ISLAM, is damn insult and a real spit in the face of all muslims. This is pure shaytanic and as a muslim it bothers me and is very humuliating to muslims for such people to be allowed a 'Mic' or 'Pen' to mouth their shiiidh at our Deen.

LaacuntAllahi caliyheem!