Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

IMPORTANT!!! BBC Radio 5 vote to show pictures

Khayr   

Originally posted by ibtisam:

^^^easy there, arguing here is not going to achieve much, Pluz does he not live in the US or something, so he can't do much for us.

SB such a useless advice, "BE happy kulahah, what is there to be happy about"
:D

Ahura: i will

today i am taking part in a protest, if you are in central london, you may see people with signs on their back

"Insulting me, is not freedom of the press"

and i have one on my back!! i tell ya, standing on the bus trying to read my metro was impossible, i made few friends amongst the none Muslims who agreed with me, first time i had a conversation with a bunch of strangers on a train!!

MashaaaaAllah! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The reality is kicking now that as Muslims, the rest of the world doesn't like you b/c muslims are the last community to advocate for revelation and anything God related.

By (the Token of) Time (through the ages), Verily Man is in loss, Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy.

Surat AL-ASR

Foxy   

what done is done, there is nothing much voting or txting can change, lets move on, besides if anyone was slightest curious to see what the news paper published could fully access over the internet

cheers

Khayr   

Originally posted by Foxy:

what done is done, there is nothing much voting or txting can change, lets move on, besides if anyone was slightest curious to see what the news paper published could fully access over the internet

cheers

I disagree and we should not take a nonchalant (shiid happens) approach when it comes

to our deen, to our deen oriented conventions, to to our rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm).

If a family member of yours was Insulted PUBLICLY and purposely RIDICULED to OFFEND you and your FAMILY, I doubt that you would be so NONCHALANT and Illusive about it. More then likely, you would be Offended, disturbed,angered, insulted, humiliated by such actions.

SO I aSK YOU, WHY then the Different attitude

towards ill talk about the Rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm)? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Khayr:

I disagree and we should not take a nonchalant (shiid happens) approach when it comes

to our deen, to our deen oriented conventions, to to our rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm).

Well said Shiekh Khayr. A zero tolerance, no nonesense approach is in order here. There's time for talk and there's time for action. The call for action can't be pooh-poohed any longer.

Shiekh Khayr, lets initiate Jihad against the Danes. Whaddya say?

...if Muslims in general do not take a stand now, i won't be surprised if in a few months time, we don't have the same newspapers drawing pictures of what the "Muslim Allah looks like"

They are TESTING our ISLAM by the way.One of the fine days..They are going to draw Muslims's Allah.We have to be firm with them by all means.

Our prophet Mohamed even said.."A stronger muslim is better than a weak muslim"..so better be strong or they crush you with "Freedom of expression"

^^^ you know i can't read somali, :mad:

& You still call yourself a somali anyways? what will your kids be? I am sure you got a different mother tongue..English I suppose.. :D so you are an English woman I suppose :D ?

Keep up the spirit lady..laakin on the Radio 5 story..Waad xiimeeysaaaaaaa... :D:D

The heart of the matter ----->

----

The freedom that hurts us

Printing cartoons of Muhammad creates fear and insecurity in Muslims across Europe

Sarah Joseph

Friday February 3, 2006

The Guardian

The battle is set, of religious extremism versus freedom of speech. These are the lines drawn, or so we are told, in the escalating tensions worldwide surrounding the printing of images of Muhammad in Denmark and elsewhere in Europe.

Although the media is only now picking up on this story, my inbox has been receiving messages about these cartoons for weeks. The messages range from high-pitched to very thoughtful, but not one of them says, "Yeah, whatever ... "

There's no apathy surrounding this issue. This is because of the love felt for the prophet and religious norms in Islam. But also because it feeds into profound feelings of disempowerment, fear and insecurity among Muslims that Europe would do well to understand. In Britain, we should realise that Muslims here will be angry if the pictures are gratuitously published in British papers - not just because of the insults to Muhammad, but because it makes them feel disempowered. Protesting is the only way to regain some self-respect.

First, the easy part. Any depiction of Muhammad, however temperate, is not allowed. There are but a few images of him in Muslim history, and even these are shown with his face veiled. This applies not only to images of Muhammad: no prophet is to be depicted. There are no images of God in Islam either.

So there is hurt and anger, and the messages I receive reflect that. In response, they suggest different approaches. One is through lobbying: distributing the phone numbers of the newspaper Jyllands-Posten, the Danish ambassador, Denmark's parliament and everything else Danish, and urging Muslims to make their feelings known. We also have the boycott approach - "the only language the west understands" - listing every Danish product that one can buy. I also get messages from the great optimists, suggesting we use the controversy to explain the real nature of Muhammad, who returned insults with kindness. Indeed, Muslims would do well to remember that.

I have also been receiving other messages. These are the most worrying, and the ones of which Europe must take note. These are the messages of resignation. The messages that discuss exit strategies. The messages that question the very future of Muslims in Europe.

Why such hand-wringing over a few cartoons? The key is in the images themselves: Muhammad with turbaned bomb, Muhammad declaring that paradise had run out of virgins for suicide bombers, Muhammad with sword and veiled women. Muhammad in every Orientalist caricature. Muhammad as a symbol for Islam and Muslims. These are the stereotypes that, as Muslims, we face daily. The looks on the tube, the suspicion, the eyes on the bags we carry. There is no denying the feeling of being pushed against a wall, of drowning in the stereotypes that abound. This is no way to live, and it is certainly no springboard for making a major contribution to the society you live in.

The messages to my inbox of resignation, of fear, come with good reason. Some countries that have reprinted the images - Spain, France, Italy and Germany - have a nasty history of fascism. Just last week we had Holocaust memorial day. The Holocaust did not occur overnight. It took time to establish a people as subhuman, and cartoons played their part. Does Europe not remember its past and the Nazi propaganda of Der Stürmer?

Now the great shape-shifter of fascism seems to have taken on the clothes of "freedom of speech". If these cartoons were designed to provoke Muslim fundamentalists, maybe they have done more to reveal the prejudices of Europe. Europe has a history of turning on its minorities. Will that be its future too?

Sarah Joseph is editor of emel magazine info@emelmagazine.com

Source

Baashi   

Why such hand-wringing over a few cartoons? The key is in the images themselves: Muhammad with turbaned bomb, Muhammad declaring that paradise had run out of virgins for suicide bombers, Muhammad with sword and veiled women. Muhammad in every Orientalist caricature. Muhammad as a symbol for Islam and Muslims. These are the stereotypes that, as Muslims, we face daily. The looks on the tube, the suspicion, the eyes on the bags we carry. There is no denying the feeling of being pushed against a wall, of drowning in the stereotypes that abound. This is no way to live, and it is certainly no springboard for making a major contribution to the society you live in.

The messages to my inbox of resignation, of fear, come with good reason. Some countries that have reprinted the images - Spain, France, Italy and Germany - have a nasty history of fascism. Just last week we had Holocaust memorial day. The Holocaust did not occur overnight. It took time to establish a people as subhuman, and cartoons played their part. Does Europe not remember its past and the Nazi propaganda of Der Stürmer?

Now the great shape-shifter of fascism seems to have taken on the clothes of "freedom of speech". If these cartoons were designed to provoke Muslim fundamentalists, maybe they have done more to reveal the prejudices of Europe. Europe has a history of turning on its minorities. Will that be its future too?

There it is. Sarah is right on the money.

Ibtisam   

^^^bashiie and Ahura i agree.

khary i don't know what the marshallah is for, however i am not as paranoid as you, i do not fell sorry for my self nor hide behind the slogan "everyone hates me" because i am a Muslim. if only the world was so simple.

rendv...

You still call yourself a somali anyways? what will your kids be? I am sure you got a different mother tongue..English I suppose.. so you are an English woman I suppose ?

i don't remember calling my self anything let alone Somali or English :rolleyes:

foxy sis i think your missing the point, it is not about curiosity or the pictures, rather the abuse to Muslim faith and culture, and the circumstance, coupled with the insulting images. There has to be a limit and in my view that limit has been broken.

SB i can't figure out if you are joking or taking the piss, i hope you are joking :D

Khayr   

^^^bashiie and Ahura i agree.

khary i don't know what the marshallah is for, however i am not as paranoid as you, i do not fell sorry for my self nor hide behind the slogan "everyone hates me" because i am a Muslim. if only the world was so simple.

rendv...

quote:

You still call yourself a somali anyways? what will your kids be? I am sure you got a different mother tongue..English I suppose.. so you are an English woman I suppose ?

i don't remember calling my self anything let alone Somali or English :rolleyes:

foxy
sis i think your missing the point, it is not about curiosity or the pictures, rather the abuse to Muslim faith and culture, and the circumstance, coupled with the insulting images. There has to be a limit and in my view that limit has been broken.

SB
i can't figure out if you are joking or taking the piss, i hope you are joking
:D
SubhanAllah,

I was commending you on your bravery walaal and you return back to INSULT ME. :( I saw a good deed and Alhamdulillah, it was touching and you turned back and returned it with ill words. :(

xaadhal xuuma!

Ibtisam   

American foreign policy:

Originally posted by Khayr:

khary
i don't know what the marshallah is for, however i am not as paranoid as you, i do not fell sorry for my self nor hide behind the slogan "everyone hates me" because i am a Muslim. if only the world was so simple.

[/qb]

SubhanAllah,

I was commending you on your bravery walaal and you return back to INSULT ME.
:(
I saw a good deed and Alhamdulillah, it was touching and you turned back and returned it with ill words.
:(

xaadhal xuuma! [/QB]

i don't see what i have said that is so offensive^^^. i did not insult you in any form or shape, and i did not use any ill words. i just stated a different of opinion to the rest of your comment, which is allowed?

anyway full apology for any unintentionally insult on my behalf. okay? smile.gif

Ibtisam   

more voting!!, It is sad, disappointing and utterly outrageous that a number of people misuse the right of freedom of speech to insult one quarter of the world’s population. By violating the international statutes on human rights under the nose of the UNO, a small minority of people have, in effect, breached the human rights of over 1.8 billion Muslims, why don't people realise this?

It is also an appalling case of blatant double standards. Muslims are discriminated against at every level without the protection of international law yet if even one person states anything that could remotely be considered even an oblique criticism against the Jews it is instantly labelled anti-Semitic and immediately condemned by the UNO and the majority of western leaders. When people insult Islam, Muslims, the Glorious Koran and the holy prophet Mohammad, the same organisations defend this blasphemy under the right of free speech and deny the very basic right of Muslims to keep a faith. how come when a Muslim exercises the right of free speech to criticise the genocide of Muslims in Gaza, Iraq or anywhere else, they are treated as a threat to national security and community relations.

It is a frustrating state of affairs. :( Does not the UNIVERSAL CHARTER OF HUMAN RIGHTS or the European convention on human rights specifically forbid, in clear articles, humiliating or degrading anyone, and do they not demand respect for the faith of individuals and the expression of tolerance towards others, i thought they did, maybe i am wrong!

it is easy to forget that the Bible, the Torah and other religious books condemn the attitude of non-tolerance and slanderous behaviour towards any other person as we all deserve every respect.

You can already see the outcome of this unreasonable and highly condemnable anti social act; good social, human, business, and diplomatic relations have been damaged; something which has caused a huge trade loss to Scandinavian countries and created a threat to community relations here in the UK. one can only hope that international leaders will take a wise and positively fair stand in the true spirit of fairness, justice without any prejudice towards Islam. it should at least take serious notice of the abuse of human rights law by a few irresponsible characters and how this will hinder realtions.

Islam is universal in its approach and outlook.

^^^^You Rock my world...with Radio 5 story..Keep it with Cheers..Atleast we got ladies defending ISLAM this time round....

a ?

Where are the men..The real men smile.gifsmile.gif

LANDER   

wow. Didn't know how much this story had exploded in europe and other parts of the world, all this emotional talk reminds me of the london bombings. Here we have the same words being floated around fear, parnoia, isolation etc...but I ask you people are you really paranoid as some of these articles suggest? and can a few badly drawns sketches strip you of your dignity and faith? You can try to dictate to westerners that those cartoons are offensive and should not be republished point blank, but knowing western society you should likely realize this would be insuficent to them, maybe you should look at this as an oppurtunity to educate those around you as Ahura might have done with her signs and tell them as to the reasons for depictions of God and the prophets to be striclty forbiden in Islam. If after you have put your point across to these folks they choose to ignore your reasoning and continue to make a mockery of the prophet (pbuh), than let them be. You have done your duty as a muslim since the amount of knowledge we share with others is one of the most important deeds in our religion, you should feel no "paranoia" no "hurt" after all we are not made out of cookie dough and God has given us inner-strenght for a reason. In the end, there is only but one God whether you be Muslim or Christian we will all have to one day answer to God.

Khayr   

Originally posted by LANDER:

wow. Didn't know how much this story had exploded in europe and other parts of the world, all this emotional talk reminds me of the london bombings. Here we have the same words being floated around fear, parnoia, isolation etc...but I ask you people are you really paranoid as some of these articles suggest? and can a few badly drawns sketches strip you of your dignity and faith? You can try to dictate to westerners that those cartoons are offensive and should not be republished point blank, but knowing western society you should likely realize this would be insuficent to them, maybe you should look at this as an oppurtunity to educate those around you as Ahura might have done with her signs and tell them as to the reasons for depictions of God and the prophets to be striclty forbiden in Islam. If after you have put your point across to these folks they choose to ignore your reasoning and continue to make a mockery of the prophet (pbuh), than let them be. You have done your duty as a muslim since the amount of knowledge we share with others is one of the most important deeds in our religion, you should feel no "paranoia" no "hurt" after all we are not made out of cookie dough and God has given us inner-strenght for a reason. In the end, there is only but one God whether you be Muslim or Christian we will all have to one day answer to God.

hmmm, I wonder if you would have the same Nonchalant (Big deal, take it with a salt grain) attitude if it had to do with SOMALILAND or your Family? :rolleyes:

You don't let THEM BE because that was the WHOLE POINT of contention that begin this (Freedom of Xawa-let us do what we want to muslim symbols) etc.