Peace Action

Farmaajo Opens Bosaso Fiber Optic From Oman

https://horseedmedia.net/2018/01/12/daah-furay-adeegga-internetka-ee-fiber-optic-oo-markii-ugu-horreysay-laga-hirgelinayo-puntland-sawiro/

You see in the story above Farmaajo & Abdiweli opening a new headquarters for Golis Telecom. I have got from reliable sources that Golis and Somtel in Somaliland (Owned by Salax's folks) few years ago inked an agreement with Oman telecom to connect fiber optic from Oman to Bosaso and Berbera. Both companies secured approval form Federal government. Puntland approved the agreement but Somaliland rejected even though Somtel broadband plan was much better and cheaper than the Djibouti broadband link. Apparently the Djibouti businessman and Somaliland officials benefit from the Djibouti broadband link and did not want any competition.

Farmaajo opened this milestone were fiber optic broadband link from Oman was acquired by a private Golis telecom to server the residents from Bosaso to Galkacayo and to Erigavo. Instead of making progress the secessionist keyboard warrior Suldaanka is celebrating the capture of Tukaraq and spilling Somali blood from the comfort of his home in the west. 

These sister telecom companies Hormud, Somtel and Golis have many Somali shareholders and they return usually 30-50%. This is very good investment.

YoniZ   

PA,

Golis partners in this project are Telesom and Hormuud. Somtel were allies (or sitting at the fence ) of the Djibouti project camp.

The resistance against this new fiber line was mainly coming from the top guys in Djibouti. After all, they had vested interest in the Somcable fiber project, which is first  marketed to cover internet needs in Somaliland, Puntand and, parts of central Somalia.

Three years after completion, they couldn’t even properly cover internet needs in the city of Hargeisa. The reason behind their failure is open to debate.

The Oman Fiber optic line came at the back of that shortcoming and,  is  very good for the public interest (competition is good for the consumer).

Make no mistake,  this project wasn’t easy, it has been delayed several times, indured pressure and threats from monopolistic forces, which at the end are badly defeated.

I hope the telcos behind this new fiber line also learn the lesson and, never think about monopolising the internet.

I remember during Xasan Sheikh's tenure, a group of Mogadishu businessmen tried to monopolize fuel imports. They built fuel depots and they thought let's put chokehold on everyone. Luckily, they were rebuffed. Competition is good for business and for consumers.

8 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

Competition is good for business and for consumers.

Free market is a must for development.  

With regards to the accusations about refusal of Submarine cable for Telesom, I think the full story is unknown. There are half truths here and there. And as far as Somalis are concerned, they will spice up half truths to the max.

Until we have clear communications from the Telesom regarding this issue, I stand on the fence. I have not heard the issue raised by any of the Parliamentarians. Mind you, Telesom is a powerful company and can field a powerful lobby group. 

But on principle, free market is a must for a healthy development. 

I am glad we agree on that. The last thing any Somali region wants a small cabal of businessmen with politicians in their pockets controlling all business activities.

Movement of goods and people are also key. I think a difference in politics should not hinder the economic integration of Somali regions and movement of people. Puntland depends on Hiiraan for most of vegetable and fruits, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't get that from Boocame farms.

galbeedi   

Free market without competition is  just a monopoly to enrich few people. The Oman fiber optic cable is much cheaper than the Somecable owned by Mohamed AW Said , an oligarch who mainly financed Muuse Biixi campaign. 

People in Somaliland are paying hundred of dollars to access these services. If the Oman cable comes, the price could easily go 50% less than what people are paying. 

Ministers who signed these project two years ago were fired on the stop by Siilanyo. The whole economy is based on import and resale, and people are suffering. There is no commission to regulate electricity, cable, telephone or any other services. 

Holac   

farmajo-8-1.jpg

To me, this is the best high rise building in Somalia. Am I way off the mark here?

Well done Farmaajo for not only visiting Somali cities, but for actually staying, sleeping and shopping. Most Federal officials who visit regional cities are mid-night flight experts. They are gone as soon as they come. 

Holac   

These sister telecom companies Hormud, Somtel and Golis have many Somali shareholders and they return usually 30-50%. This is very good investment.

Peace Action, how does one buy shares of these companies?

Yoniz,

I stand corrected. You are correct it is Telesom.

Holac,

Very difficult because few people want to sell it.The going rate for selling shares is double the price of the share and it is not easy. You need to contact each companies share office and wait for people who want to sell shares. We need governments and business to contemplate starting stock exchange so that the locals and the diaspora can invest in local companies.

I have a question.

Why was it necessary to bring from Oman when Somalia has the most opportunity to tap anywhere from the international cable all around her from Kenya to Djibouti?

Is the international cable that from south Africa all around to Red Sea too expensive and the Oman outlet is cheaper?

Security wise its not hard to see why the International cable would not be more secure than the Oman one which I heard has satellite link at some point (weakest link).

17 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

The first phase will span some 6 200km and will link Pakistan (Gwadar and Karachi), Djibouti, Somalia and Kenya

Che,

There are already 2 cables one very old and one fairly new that are already there. Ethiopia uses these cables from a terminations in Djibouti. This cabes are encompassing all around Somalia.