Sign in to follow this  
Coofle

Hargeisa: Local man sentenced to imprisonment for cutting down trees.

Coofle   

13118922_1796292427260146_84348738593580

http://www.hubaal.net/2016/04/29/dacwad-nooceedu-ku-cusub-yahay-indhaha-shacbiga-somaliland-oo-maxkamada-gobolka-maroodi-jeex-ay-soo-gabo-gabeysay/

A local man pleads guilty for crimes against environment preservation by wilfully cutting down estimated 700 qudhac and galool trees. According to the news source he was sentenced to three years imprisonment,300,000 somaliland shillings fine and to plant 200 trees at the same site.

Although this may be a good deterrent against future uprooting and cutting down trees and would surely boost environmental protection effort, isn't this a bit too harsh? Ofcourse if he was warned and issued monetary penalties on previous ocassions this is well deserved sentence.

Qudhac and galool take many years to grow and are always cut down for charcoal production,the main cooking fuel in somali inhabited peninsula.

Lately I have been reading a lot about strict environmental protection policies implemented in somaliland,the fracas! in east hargeisa being the latest.what could be this sudden motivation,ma abaarihii baa lagu ku toobad keenay or just short lived media stunts.

Although I don't like people who ruin nature that's a harsh punishment. Somalis don't preserve nature nor do they care so I find this situation weird especially when they cut the trees themselves to use it as a cooking fuel. This man needs to be freed from this hypocrites.

Haatu   

said:

Although I don't like people who ruin nature that's a harsh punishment. Somalis don't preserve nature nor do they care so I find this situation weird especially when they cut the trees themselves to use it as a cooking fuel. This man needs to be freed from this hypocrites.

Back in the day when people used to cook with sticks and three stones (those who know know), the locals used to use branches from trees and leave the rest of the tree intact. They didn't normally used to cut down the whole tree. I think it's when the charcoal business started that people started cutting down whole trees.

Haatu   

Cooflow, your post reminded me of a poem I heard the other day from Idaajaa. It's not exactly related to the topic but because you mentioned abaar I will share nontheless :D

http://www.garanuug.com/suugaan/inay-samadu-naga-oodantaa-waa-abaalmarin-e/

Cali Xuseen Xirsi

Lixdameeyadii iyada oo ay abaar ba’ani ayaa dadkii ka codsadeen in uu duceeyo, iyaguna ay aamiin ka dabadhahaan. Halkii ay ka sugayeen in uu Alle baryo ayaa uu iyagii u soo jeediyey dhaliil kulul.

Nimanyohow abaaraha dhacay iyo beliyo aafaadka

Dabka ololi uumiga ka karay aradka guudkiisa

Raxmaddii ilaahay waxay innoogu iman weyday

Ee ariyo geelii marshay ee eberka noosaaray

Arradka iyo gaajada waxa innagu alluugmeeyay

Geeduhu waxay u angageen ubaxna loo waayey

Ee ay ugaadhu u bakhtidad ayda miranaysay

Eelkaa wixii dhigay haddaan idin ogaysiiyo

Ilaahay ma loo noqonayaa Axadkii weeyaan e

Haddii ay islaannimo jirtoo la ijtihaadaayo

Ashahaadda iyo taoobaddii lama ilaaweene

Goortay ilma adeerradii uurka ka colowday

Igaar waliba kii xigay markuu dhacay aduunkiisa

Goortii ammaanada la cunay ehelku kuu dhiibtay

Inkiraadi goortay timi ee aamin la iswaayey

Afka buuxi mooyee markay aayar socon weyday

Inay samadu naga oodantaa waa abaalmarin e

Alalaasku goortuu ka karay or iyo duulaanku

Nimaan ayna kaa dhicin markii udubka loosaaray

Oofaha markay kala heleen kaalka la afeeyay

Goortay asayda u xireen ooriduu mehershay

Maatadu markay ooyayeen loo arxami waayey

Markii aabbeyaal lagu diley ee gaban agoomoobay

Ilaahay maloo noqonayaa Axadkii weeyaan e

Axdi nimaad ahaydeen markuu oofin kari waayay

Aayadaha diinta ah markii iida (E) laga doortay

Isimkii ilaahay markii la istixayn waayey

Akalkaad cuneyseen markii loo abtirin waayey

Aakhiro illowdiyo jannada aqalladeediiye

Addimaadda goortuu wadaad idin ogeysiiyo

Aadaanka oo yeeray baad orod ku dhaaftaan e

Eygii hadduu idin duwadey Aadan ba habowshey

Oo uu Iblays idin ku mudey shalay iraabkiisa

Xigasho: Barnaamijka Hiddaha iyo Dhaqanka, 312, VOA Soomaali.

Axmed Faarax Cali Idaajaa

Coofle   

@haatu tha

Strong words from the great poet cali xuseen xirsi. Abwaano badan ayaa tix iyo heesba ka tiriyay degaaanka laakiin xilliga abaartana gabayo Alle bari ah iyo abaarta oo laga faaloodo xilliga barwaaqada iyo bashbashkana waa hadii gabadh la odoroso ayuun baa hees gaaban guga iyo roobka loogu araartaa,ilayn wax kaloo qurux badanba maynaan aqoone.

Coofle   

@bluelicious

I am concerned about the conduct of the the whole trial,not that I am well versed with law..laakiin from the article I spotted few alarming issues

1-conducting the -apparently- short court proceedings in the site of a proposed crime might be a factor for bias.

2-there is a photo of the accused in cuff, isn't the whole premise of take you to court about proving your guilt rather than your innocence...restrainment is an obvious sign of percieved guilt if not done for safety.

3-finally he did not contest and accepted all charges so that would have rendered lighter punishment

Holac   

That is what I call progressive justice.

People must take responsibility for their actions. Well done!

Tallaabo   

Coofle, the way the whole case was conducted and publicised smells of an organised campaign to scare people and make the poor guy an example. No one cares about proper justice in Somaliland and the courts are so corrupt, so the poor guy is just a sacrificial lamb for the government's environmental campaign. The recurrent droughts created a lot of worry for the government and everyone in Somaliland but the few remaining trees are still being cut to make charcoal. As the government can't afford to police the whole countryside, they are probably using this unlucky fellow to send a message.