Sign in to follow this  
Coofle

The Muslim rituals!

Coofle   

Nin ayaa wadaad idaacad ka waydiiyay "Sheekh findhicilku ma xaaraan baa misa waa xalaal"...Sheekhii waxa uu ku jawaabay "Findhicil waxa uu yahayba soo hadal qaadkiisaa ka xun"

WARNING: This thread is the same...

Nowadays, Islam is transforming to a set of rituals rather than spiritual guidance for Muslims in this life and hereafter. The definition of a pious Muslim have been secluded in a narrow fence. Wearing khamis, Calling your self Abu-Hebel, excessive use of Arabic in your normal conversations, Meeting in Wadaad-approved restaurants, Hanging with a group of same religious denomination....Etc. .. Wear a suit (even white suit!) hangout with muslim brothers of another islamic denomination, attend scientific conference! that have the word evolution in its pamphlet, and words will start flying around in your own cult "Ninka baryahan looma bogin", "Wuu diga rogtay" etc.

The prophet (NNKH) Used camels for transportation, and was called by nickname by eldest son (Abuu Al-qaasim). So did the people who lived in MAkkah or Madinah at that time, Muslims and Non-Muslims Alike. Its not sunnah to imitate the Prophet in such things, but Sunnah is to imitate him in things that he was distinguished from others.

Allah did not praise our prophet (NNKH) by what type of clothes he wore or what type of camels he rode, but by his vitreous character. "[68:5]And thou (standest) on an exalted standard of character." Hence, we should imitate the prophet by his characters of truthfulness, honesty, patience, love for justice and abhorring prejudice. ... its either we embrace the values that our beloved prophet was praised upon or exhaust ourselves in arguments about his clothing. Blind imitation is what we have, don't imitate Sheekh hebel or certain group, Quran and sunnah are open source, Think and contemplate upon them, thinking is more than a Sunnah ..[3:192] Those who remember Allah while standing, sitting, and lying on their sides, and ponder over the creation of the heavens and the earth

Once me and a friend attended a Jumca ceremony and the Imam was wearing a shirt and trouser. My friend did not like it. did the prophet wear the same clothes that our imams are dressed upon when on minbar, praying in the extravagant mosques we have now (In fact the prophet warned about it) .... its a perception we have when something defies the norm that we usually know, it should be wrong, my Advice think about it.

Finally isn't the ritualization of certain tasks that are not performed by the prophet and his companions called bidca. ... That is for another day ...

xabad   

Coofle, we would get rid of this inane pointless rituals and fads if we just followed our ancestors religion -- Waaqism. Think about it.

Somalis are people who are running away from their heritage, true religion and culture because islamic piety requires them to do so. so such things are to be expected really.

Prior to the arrival of Islam the religion of Somalia was Waaq for thousands of years and was entirely locale in customs and identity. In the same way Islam remains entirely inherently characteristically Arabic, Waaqism was Somali in all aspects

For several millenniums Waaqism remained permanent dominant characteristic of Somali origination counteracting to foreign influences contaminating what was initially considered fundamentally pure Somali trait. The religion of Waaqism cultivated the remarkable survival of confident and proud population.

All pure bred somalis should acquaint themsleves with waaq, without it somali will always feel inadequate and culturally inferior. you can never be what you ain't.

Coofle   

@Xabad ha igu awr kacsan. my little banter was aimed to Muslims, not Heathens.

I am grateful we are not pagans. Waaq, Tiniiqi, Tincawsle iyo magacyada faraha badan ee loo bixiyaaba, waa barigii dadku ahaayeen cawaanta..

Islam is not a religion for specific communities, and Arabic simply happens to be the liturgical language (and its a beautiful one for that matter)....What some people argue is Arabization of Islam. Confusing between Arabic custom and Religion is common. Even for that matter, Islam has encouraged good customs Arabs had in the time of revelation. Same goes for every community, if they have good customs that are not religiously contradicting then that community can retain it.

Don't confuse the misconception of Some people with the true religion.

ElPunto   

Nowadays, Islam is transforming to a set of rituals rather than spiritual guidance for Muslims in this life and hereafter.

It is not an either/or. Islam is about a set of rituals that stem from and reinforce spiritual guidance. What you are arguing against is narrow-mindedness, establishing pointless litmus tests to praise/condemn someone. And I fully agree with you on that. Somalis are extremely narrow-minded and prone to zealotry - what is needed is education, open mindedness and a focus on the lived experience of early Muslims that embraced diversity of opinion within a consensual framework of Islamic.

galbeedi   

Rituals Have become the foundations of modern Islam. Virtues like patience, truthfulness, honesty, punctuality, perseverance and generosity are difficult to imitate or to accomplish.

there was a young man who once did some work in my business. he just kept talking about his sallah and other basic things that one should be oreforming without fanfare. I ask him to show up certain times three different times. Every time he had an excuse to be late or not even show up.

Back home when we were growing up, mosques were run by the lay people. The shopkeeper across the mosque was the one who managed and organize daily activity, because he never missed a prayer. The elderly man who lives five blocks away from the mosque was the " muezzin' who called the prayer for the last twenty years. He wasn't a sheekh or Ulema. Maybe he wasn't even wearing a big bear, but he never missed a prayer even when sick. these were the normal people that you intake daily. It was a normal daily thing. Nowadays mosques are run by a small well connected group who think and act the same. To even volunteer , you must be the ritual guy. If there is any disagreement, the courts and police will involve quickly. If someone who was not performing his Islamic duties, suddenly he prays and does some "Cibaada", now he will make sure everybody notices.

Let me give you an example, in another life I was a taxi cab driver in a major city in north America. Almost every month, some Muslim cab driver is either called from the city hall for complaints or the taxi company will suspend them for failing to follow the taxi rules. They were almost all Somali cab drivers. It was in all in regards about alcohol, a blind guiding dog or other issues.

There was this quiet guy who was well versed in Hadith and matters of Fiqi. He always read books. He was present in the hallway prayer , never misses. Since I always like to have conversation with the obscure and quite , yet intelligent people , I asked him : How do you deal these issues of alcohol and other prohibited transaction, while driving the taxi like all of us.

The Somali wise man said. First of all the " If a prostitute who made a lawful money asked you to carry her load as a porter, the Sunnah, allows you to take that load regardless of how she earned that money". On the issue prohibited transactions like alcohol he said " If a customer asks me to the liquor to buy alcohol, I take him to the store , wait him, and after he buys, I take him to his destination". I asked him about the money?, he said " I take the money , but that money is no use for me since it is haram, so I give the money to a homeless or someone who needs" " I also understand that I will not get any rewards for sadaqa". He continued " the down side is you lose one trip of $20 or $25 dollars, and because of your religious obligations you accept that loss, at the same time you fulfil your city permit obligations, which was given to you to transport passengers and fulfil your religious obligations. ". I asked him about those guys who are constantly in the local news and have issues with taxi regulating authority?. He said " it is all about greed, they don't want to lose that trip, since they know that they can't use that money, what they do is refuse, run away after dropping the customer or lie about it".

In my own town, right now most Somalis, with big khamiis, big beard and other rituals, drive cabs in the most dangerous time of the night. They drive between 7pm to 5am. We all know after midnight most of the fares you pick are drunk people, rowdy teenagers, criminals and people who have some kind of influence in their system. Normal people drive until 10 pm. This is courting trouble, but they do not have the patience or the perseverance to avoid the big money that to be made from late night parties.

Holac   

Once me and a friend attended a Jumca ceremony and the Imam was wearing a shirt and trouser. My friend did not like it. did the prophet wear the same clothes that our imams are dressed upon when on minbar, praying in the extravagant mosques we have now (In fact the prophet warned about it) …. its a perception we have when something defies the norm that we usually know, it should be wrong, my Advice think about it.

I see what you are saying. I don't know about you, but I am ready to wear my new khamiis, cimaamad and barawaan koofiyad this coming EID. :) :)

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

I am grateful we are not pagans. Waaq, Tiniiqi, Tincawsle iyo magacyada faraha badan ee loo bixiyaaba, waa barigii dadku ahaayeen cawaanta.

Waaq was no pagan god. Waaq was the name our pre-Islamic ancestors called the Omnipotent Creator Lord. The religion of Waaq(Waaqism?) was monotheist in its nature and had no idol worship in any of its rituals. There are still some Cushitic communities like the Rendille tribe in Kenya who practice this religion and they are not idol worshippers. Also if Waaqism was a pagan religion, then the Horn of Africa would be littered with statues of the pagan gods of our ancestors. So the fact that we have never found any statues or similar depictions of religious icons in our land indicates that Waaqism was a monotheist religion like Islam and Judaism, and was probably the result of Almighty Allah sending a prophet to our ancient ancestors. Our ancestors named places after God(Waaq) like Caabudwaaq(the place of worship of Waaq) and Waqooyi(the place of Waaq); just like the Muslims of the Indian sub-continent named Allahabad(the place of Allah) after Almighty Allah and Islamabad(the place of Islam) after Islam. So if our Xabad truly changed from atheism to Waaqism, we should be welcomed with open arms :-D

All the previous religions were at one point monotheistic. It was just after some centuries that they slowly became polytheistic and filled with Shirk.

So the early Christians worshiped Allah and saw Jesus as a Prophet. But after some time they started calling Jesus the son of God, and then they started worshiping Jesus himself. Then some Christian sects started to worship the Virgin Mary. Some Catholics started to worship different Saints and before you know it, Christianity became a fully-fledged polytheistic faith..

The same goes for Shi'ism. Islam is monotheistic, but there are some Shia's who pray to Ali (such as the Alawites of Syria) and there are some who pray to Hussein or the 12 Imams or whatever. Instead of making du'a to Allah and putting their trust in Allah, they decide to place their trusts on Hussein or Ali. It's a pathetic state of affairs when people who claim to be Muslims, say "Ya Ali" or "Ya Hussein" whenever hardship befalls them. It's pathetic that they have posters of Ali or Hussein in their Masjids. It's pathetic that they completely forgot about their Lord, and they decided to pray to others except Allah.

But there are thousands of examples of this throughout history. The same happened to Noah's people, Moses's people, and Abraham's people. The Jews of Moses worshiped a golden calf even though Moses specifically warned them NOT to worship any idols, but to worship Allah alone. Even if you read the Hindu scriptures, the man "Krishna" warned his people not to worship anything except Allah. But today, millions of Hindus pray to Krishna, and they're completely ignoring his warnings.

That is why we should always remain vigilant, and have no tolerance for Shirk. Because Shirk doesn't come overnight. It's a long (often centuries long) process and before you know it, the people are worshiping a stone idol which they were specifically warned not to do

Shirk is a very serious cancer and we need to stamp out Shirk. And this is why the Quran repeatedly warns against Shirk, in almost every chapter.

I don't know how the Shia's can read the Quran, read the verses condemning Shirk, and then at the same time pray to Ali or Hussein or their Imams.

Like, is there something wrong in their thinking processes?

Khayr   

In my own town, right now most Somalis, with big khamiis, big beard and other rituals, drive cabs in the most dangerous time of the night. They drive between 7pm to 5am. We all know after midnight most of the fares you pick are drunk people, rowdy teenagers, criminals and people who have some kind of influence in their system. Normal people drive until 10 pm. This is courting trouble, but they do not have the patience or the perseverance to avoid the big money that to be made from late night parties.

Sorry, I missed the point that you were trying to make with your rant. Galbeedi, what are you implying?

Tallaabo   

<cite>

Sorry, I missed the point that you were trying to make with your rant. Galbeedi, what are you implying?

What he is implying is that a big beard and a white khamiis do not make one a good Muslim.

Holac   

<cite>

Are you Barawaani Mr Holac? I like Baraawe and its native people (not the post 1991 settlers) :-D

Yes and No.

galbeedi   

Kheyr, what I am saying is by wearing khamiis and big bear, you carrying a message that you are a piou practising Muslim. That is how we grew up. Now in this paragraph, I am implying that those guys shouldn't be in that kind of business where the chance of involving Munkar is much greater.

In the qur'aan Allah says in many different suras that " Allah doesn't look physical features, but what is in your heart". We live in world where image is everything. People pay money for their image. In Islam it is your deeds and your hearts, not how you look.

THey say the devil is in details. You meet a Wahhabi and all he talks about is the length of the pant , or how it should be two inches above the ankle and so forth. Iman and faith is bigger than those minor issues.