Sign in to follow this  
Tallaabo

Sexual violence in Somaliland

D.O.C;949261 wrote:
So those killed don't need justice, only the living one has to has a justice. That is where brain cells don't function as they should, and that is why xamar needs brainy ppl.

The topic is not about Mogadishu. It's about rapes in Somaliland, a.problem acknowledged by Sland authorities. You can start a topic about crimes in Xamar if it pleases you.

Ngonge. But atleast Xaaj addresses the issue and does not blame the south for crime committed in Hargeysa.

D.O.C   

Che -Guevara;949271 wrote:
The topic is not about Mogadishu. It's about rapes in Somaliland, a.problem acknowledged by Sland authorities. You can start a topic about crimes in Xamar if it pleases you.

Ngonge. But atleast Xaaj addresses the issue and does not blame the south for crime committed in Hargeysa.

A proverb says" if there is Reynard expect a hyena". Point is if you talk about Hargeisa expect me to talk about muqdisho. Am out!

Blessed   

^don't let the door hit you on your way...

Tallaabo;949244 wrote:
You are right Che. Rape is a very serious crime according to our Islamic faith but our traditional elders belittle its seriousness and worse force the female rape victim to marry her tormentor. I don't know how long such sham marriage last but I am sure such an arrangement will only add salt to the wounds of the victim and unnecessarily prolong their misery. I believe it is time the Somalis end this bad practice and treat rape for what it is- a crime against society. Offenders should be named and shamed and given hefty punishments like ten or more years of jail terms to deter others and send a strong signal that sexual violence against women will not be tolerated.

I agree totally. Hopeful the authorities will shed more light on the issue in the coming months but the Xeer system needs to be abolished.

NGONGE   

^^ War don't turn on "your people" dee. You need someone to fight your corner when the inevitable ban comes. :D

Sexual violence against woman is really an issue of concern , the problem lies most of the time with in the society aslong as people act as if it doesn't happen it wont be solved. And because we are an Islamic society the girls who were the victims most of the time are ashamed to say they were sexually abused those woman deserve justice and ofcourse the taboo needs to be broken and religious leaders and the Somaliland government must say no to rape and really come forward with a concrete plan how to protect these woman. I have said it before we are becoming like Arabs try to act as long as you ignore it ,it will go away. I hope Somalis do not become like arabs , arabs have smaller brains than Somalis, they try to hide their problems under the sand.

NGONGE i dont like the oromos in Somaliland maybe they have something to do with it maybe not we dont have evidence but its deeper than the oromo creatures, Ethnic Somalilanders are involved both victims and perpetrators. By the way lets not turn this into Somalia VS Somaliland we have enough subjects about that and there will be plenty in the future.

Coofle   

Increasing rape in somaliland is to be blamed first and last on Traditional elders. There are many rapists, I know by person, Roaming in the streets, after inflicting both physical and psychological trauma to both young nubile girls and married ladies. They destroy lives, Families and yet a Tribal Elder --Ironically called 'Caaqil' -- will sit down and say in full mouth, "Dee arrinku waa dhacaye, wiilasheenana khalad waa ka dhacaye, waxba yaynaan iyagana mustaqblkooda seejine, gabadha magteedii waa loo sidaa......" What a despicable thing ...

The real tragedy is when the society starts to blame the victim , the woman, for being out at that time of day, for being at those kinds of places...its easier and more convenient to shun a woman than to put a rapist behind bars in Somali inhabited lands. This is a department where Arabs do better, At least they honor kill both the Victim and perpetrator.

The only Solution is for the Tribal elders to leave such cases to be handled by the Legal system, I am sure there is harsh sentences for such heinous and barbaric act.

Coofle   

D.O.C;949264 wrote:
The former unmarried raper is NOT facing the death penalty.

Rape is different from Zina[/i

Allah says: “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution or crucifixion or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.” [sûrah al-Mâ’idah: 33]

Generally the punishment is execution but for the unmarried perpetrator , First strike is not execution , but any further recurrence and he will be under the sword. Given that he did not harm his first victim in any other way, or loot her, the rape was not recurrent or associated with kidnap.

If harsh punishments are inflicted upon rapists for Few months in Somaliland, I am sure every sick man will think twice and once again the streets will be safe for our woman.

Miyir   

Tallaabo;949664 wrote:
^ Yes a few public executions of repeat offenders will do the trick and scare the hell out of the sickos:D

:cool:

as repugnant as rape is there r a lot young women who stay late parting,going about their business & create false alarms in the morning when confronted by parents...I will dismiss more than 1/2 of the statistics.

Miyir   

burahadeer;949689 wrote:
as repugnant as rape is there r a lot young women who stay late parting,going about their business & create false alarms in the morning when confronted by parents...I will dismiss more than 1/2 of the statistics.

What is wrong if young woman do all that and more? you lost me here if woman stays up late in Hargeysa they will fill false rape claim?

Miyir;949692 wrote:
What is wrong if young woman do all that and more? you lost me here if woman stays up late in Hargeysa they will fill false rape claim?

no I don't mean that, they have to make accountable all these late hours they been away from home specially if they had sex voluntarily and scared of pregnancy.There was a case when I was there lately,this married lady who was separate from her husband for few months had affair with a guy & reported rape in the morning for fear she reunite with her husband pregnant. was later found out by police & relatives it was consensual...she later admitted the truth.

Miyir   

burahadeer;949695 wrote:
no I don't mean that, they have to make accountable all these late hours they been away from home specially if they had sex voluntarily and scared of pregnancy.There was a case when I was there lately,this married lady who was separate from her husband for few months had affair with a guy & reported rape in the morning for fear she reunite with her husband pregnant. was later found out by police & relatives it was consensual...she later admitted the truth.

Got you, That is bad it can happen anywhere!!

It seems whats going there now is more organised gangs who are systemically raping woman and that needs addressed quickly.

Tallaabo   

burahadeer;949689 wrote:

Your comment borders on blaming the victim. Whether the women of Somaliland party all night or walk the streets at midnight is of no relevance because no one has the right to harass them let alone physically and sexually harm them whatever they do. Blaming the female victims for the sickness of some men is how those culturally backward Muslim societies embarked on their infamous journey into the dark ages.