Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Taariikhda asalka Soomaalida - Muuqaal

Safferz   

I got about 20 minutes in and decided to stop, I don't like it. I have read some of his work and I think he should stick to studying language rather than comment on history and politics.

Wadani   

Safferz;943968 wrote:
I got about 20 minutes in and decided to stop, I don't like it. I have read some of his work and I think he should stick to studying language rather than comment on history and politics.

looool, wallahi I stopped 15 minutes in and I feel exactly the same. Odaygu badd aanu ka dabbaalan karayn ayuu dhex quusay.

Haatu   

Wadani and Safferz, you can't state objections and not say why. Could it be the fact that he says the clan structure is bogus which irks you? I demand clear bullet points from both of you :D

Abbass, adaa mudan sxb.

Tallaabo   

Many thanks to professor Cabdalle Mansuur. This is a great interview and very informative. For a long time now I knew about our origins and relations with the rest of East Africa and the world but I think the clan system is so ingrained into our collective psyche, it will be hard for our society to overcome it. Education be it Islamic or worldly is the key to enlightenment for the masses and so must be given a priority by all the administrations.

One thing I really dislike about the Somali style clan though is its total neglect of the female part of the genealogy. I mean a child will get 50% of its genetic make up from the mother yet Somalis disregard that and consider only the child's paternal genealogy. As a result of this any two neighbouring clans will have a completely similar genetic composition due to intermarriage, and yet they will consider one another as outsiders. For this reason, I believe the Somali clan system is not much different to football hooliganism as both are only kept alive due to the emotional attachment of its members to the group.

Tallaabo   

Ah where were we? Lets forget about this silly video and resume our discussion of the more important issues like the D-block's invasion of Jubbaland with the help of the Kikuyus:cool:

Safferz   

Haatu;944017 wrote:
Wadani and Safferz, you can't state objections and not say why. Could it be the fact that he says the clan structure is bogus which irks you? I demand clear bullet points from both of you
:D

I didn't finish it, but I will watch the rest when I have some time towards the end of the week and have more thoughts then :) An immediate concern for me was his idea of Somalis as migrant peoples to the Horn, like the nonsense about Mesopotamia/Egypt. It's just a Somali iteration of old colonial racist bs called the "Hamitic hypothesis" debunked a long time ago. But then I saw that Prof. Mansur studied philology, and his orientalism all made sense lol

xabad   

so where did somalis come from safferz in your opinion ? i for one will not discount that theory, because as more scientists have delved into our genetic roots it's become clear somalis have a substantial Eurasian input. could be that this migrants settled in the peninsula and intermingled with inhabitants whom they assimilated and subsumed.

Wadani   

xabad;944219 wrote:
so where did somalis come from safferz in your opinion ? i for one will not discount that theory, because as more scientists have delved into our genetic roots it's become clear somalis have a substantial Eurasian input. could be that this migrants settled in the peninsula and intermingled with inhabitants whom they assimilated and subsumed.

Xabad, we are part of the greater Cushitic peoples that are indigenous to the Horn/East Africa. Genetic tests have proven that Somalis have a negligible amount of admixture. In fact most current scientists and researchers are of the opinion the middle easterners and europeans got their soft and defined physical features from us and not the other way around.

Think about this Xabad. We've all seen those Somalis who are tall, lanky, very dark skinned, incredibly soft hair, with extremely well-defined and chiseled facial features. This personally happens to be my favourite Somali look. Anyway, can u think of any mix that can logically produce such a look? Arab + Bantu? Nope. Arab + Cushitic Horner? Nope. Arab + Horner + Bantu? Nope. Even add some sort of Hindi in the mix and this particular look, which is only seen among the Afar and Somalis and very rarely among the Oromo, will not be produced.

As for the myth of SNMers and D-block being descended from Shaikh Isxaaq and Shaikh Jabarti....well lets say it's true for sake of arguement.How can two Arabs change the ethnic composition of an entire region? Their children would marry locals (horners), and then their children would marry locals, and then their children would marry locals all the way down to the present. As an SNMer the amount of Arab blood in me from Shaikh Isxaaq is 0.00000001% by now. So i'm definitely not Arab nor any mix thereof, or of anything else for that matter.

Safferz   

xabad;944219 wrote:

The oldest human remains were found in the Horn of Africa, and scientists and archeologists are in agreement that humanity began in that region. Are you saying that the humans started in the Horn, migrated to Eurasia, then came back to re-populate the Horn? lmao c'mon now.

xabad   

looool yes indeed there is something called back migration dear if you have never heard about it read up saffz. you know its difficult to refute the genetic evidence in terms of haplo groups, this can be traced back to what scientists call the urheimat or the original home. some somali haplo groups are Eurasian and most somali people will cluster genetically with non africans.