Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Dolbear's Law

Haatu   

Dolbear's law states the relationship between the air temperature and the rate at which crickets chirp.[1][2] It was formulated by Amos Dolbear and published in 1897 in an article called "The Cricket as a Thermometer."

38f49e584a2242459cd40a0ffa2ab7b7.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolbear's_Law

So if ever you can't sleep and you've grown tired of counting sheep, pretend its 1876 and count the number of cricket chirps in 15 seconds. Add 40 to that number. The result will be the current Fahrenheit temperature.

http://www.gothamcityinsider.com/2007/09/dolbears-law.html

Haatu   

A tiny water boatman is the loudest animal on Earth relative to its body size, a study has revealed.

Scientists from France and Scotland recorded the aquatic animal "singing" at up to 99.2 decibels, the equivalent of listening to a loud orchestra play while sitting in the front row.

The insect makes the sound by rubbing its penis against its abdomen in a process known as "stridulation".

Researchers say the song is a courtship display performed to attract a mate.

_53756204_micronecta_scholtzi_1_jsueur_m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/13958630

This insect is around 2mm in size and makes a noise equivalent to a freight train.

Haatu   

I'm currently studying the sciences and maths at A2 level (same as last year of high school). Hopefully should go to uni in Sep IA.

Haatu   

Safferz;937813 wrote:
+1

I was obsessed with this a while back -- the

That's a beauty thanks. So much useful general knowledge. There's this guy I sit next to in class who always tells me these interesting facts. I guess I'll finally be able to tell him a few things soon :D

Blue, that's a shame. There's nothing more interesting than the sciences and nothing more rewarding than having a eureka moment when you solve a puzzle.

Safferz   

Haatu;937816 wrote:
That's a beauty thanks. So much useful general knowledge. There's this guy I sit next to in class who always tells me these interesting facts. I guess I'll finally be able to tell him a few things soon
:D

Blue, that's a shame. There's nothing more interesting than the sciences and nothing more rewarding than having a eureka moment when you solve a puzzle.

If I had gotten into the sciences, I think I would have studied astrophysics :) The universe is so fascinating (though I think those of us in the humanities just explore it in a different way...)

Haatu;937816 wrote:

To each his own interests besides I hate the lab parts about science. I'm more focused on the government and law. What are you thinking of doing with science in your further education?

Safferz   

For those of you (hopefully all of you) running Google Chrome as your internet browser -- you can explore over 100,000 stars in the Milky Way through this recent Google experiment that pulls together data from NASA and the European Space Agency.

tutu   

Haatu;937814 wrote:
I'm currently studying the sciences and maths at A2 level (same as last year of high school). Hopefully should go to uni in Sep IA.

'The sciences' meaning? Btw without maths there's no science, hence maths stands as the foundation of science.

Doing A levels now? I thought you were an old geezer! Or are you a late comer doing access now?

Coofle   

Ma waxa aad i leedahaya Tirada Jiriqaaga ee waqti go'an dhawaaqda ayaan Heerkulka ku ogaanayaa.....CAjiib

Life is science............I was extraordinary in all sciences except Maths.kkk