Sign in to follow this  
Coofle

Learning Swahili

Coofle   

Although I am a hardcore Af-Soomaali nationalist and also a multilingual Somali ethnic. Recently I had developed an interest (motivated) in Kiswahili language...I have never been to east african countries, and frankly if it was in my hands I would prefer to learn speaking Amharic more than kiswahili but you gotta do what you gotta do...right now I need to grasp basics of language fast...

For the Kiswahili speakers out there (I heard Somali Sujui is offensive) I would appreciate your help...

Let me start by asking the following question

~I have been using the internet as my guide but its confusing me..For instance how is the cool way of saying How are you?

is it....Wewe habari? or Vibi Halyanko?

I think one is colloquial and the other is formal

Any Reliable link would be highly appreciated.

PS...I came to realize many nouns and even verbs in kiswahili are Arabic in origin...this would be easy for me.

raula   

Coofle;934752 wrote:
.... Recently I had developed an interest (motivated) in Kiswahili language.....if it was in my hands I would prefer to learn speaking Amharic more than kiswahili ....

well no matter your motivation..VELCOMMEN :D Karibu (swahili=WELCOME).

I say: VIPI (w/a "P", not "B"), mambo? or HALI? (the latter, it like saying in somali XAALADA ka waran..but we condensed it to HALI?)

then i reply " POA" (deganaag...micneheed..as in all is CALM").

Safferz   

Coofle;934752 wrote:
Although I am a hardcore
Af-Soomaali
nationalist and also a multilingual Somali ethnic. Recently I had developed an interest (motivated) in Kiswahili language...I have never been to east african countries, and frankly if it was in my hands I would prefer to learn speaking Amharic more than kiswahili but you gotta do what you gotta do...right now I need to grasp basics of language fast...

So why not learn Amharic?

Coofle   

Thank you Raula......Hali is arabic in origin . now that is easy to remember.

So its acceptable to say Hali or mambo to everyone irrespective of their status ...even with odayga Soddoga! kkk

Apophis ...coast, you mean mombasa to zanzibar.

Now how do I say..

(((I have been trying to construct sentences using google translate but it had got me in trouble before and I am avoiding that)))

What would you like to drink?

Let us go and eat? ((Kula is again Arabic in origin))

do you mind if I speak somali?

Somali is a beautiful language

Coofle   

Safferz;934782 wrote:
So why not learn Amharic?

it on the list of things I gotta do before I hit 40!..

But right now, Swahili is top of the list..I got to speak good swahili at the end of this year...the problem is I have no sufficient source to study from ...Even when I learn few things and try to use them people say ...its all wrong where did you learn this? ... Wuxu ilayn waa af-jinni (no disrespect)

A_Khadar   

Coofle,

My recommendation to learn any new language is to go near by public library or bookstore and get audio with book (just small one containing the basics) of the language you want to learn. Most libraries and book stores will have one for most languages.I tried this for few languages and was very helpful. BTW, the best alternative way is to go Kenya/Tanzania and spend few months if this is the an option for you.

Safferz   

Coofle;934788 wrote:
it on the list of things I gotta do before I hit 40!..

But right now, Swahili is top of the list..I got to speak good swahili at the end of this year...the problem is I have no sufficient source to study from ...Even when I learn few things and try to use them people say ...its all wrong where did you learn this? ... Wuxu ilayn waa af-jinni (no disrespect)

You won't be able to learn from the internet alone -- you need to invest in a good English/Swahili dictionary, and one or two books (if you can find one that comes with an audio CD, even better) that will help you with learning grammar structure. Swahili does borrow heavily from Arabic in its vocabulary, but in its structure it's a Bantu language so it's important to find a book that will explain it well and teach you the patterns. Make sure you study daily and supplement it with listening/watching Swahili language television and radio, and also try your best to find native speakers to practice communicating with. You won't learn a language on your own, the most effective way has to be a combination of studying and putting what you've learned to work in conversation with native speakers.

Let me know when you're learning Amharic :)

Wadani   

Safferz;934796 wrote:
You won't be able to learn from the internet alone -- you need to invest in a good English/Swahili dictionary, and one or two books (if you can find one that comes with an audio CD, even better) that will help you with learning grammar structure. Swahili does borrow heavily from Arabic in its vocabulary, but in its structure it's a Bantu language so it's important to find a book that will explain it well and teach you the patterns. Make sure you study daily and supplement it with listening/watching Swahili language television and radio, and also try your best to find native speakers to practice communicating with. You won't learn a language on your own, the most effective way has to be a combination of studying and putting what you've learned to work in conversation with native speakers.

Let me know when you're learning Amharic
:)

Excellent advice Safferz. This is essentially what I did when I was studying Arabic, except I didn't have Arab friends so practising with native speakers was not really an option.

wyre   

Coofle;934786 wrote:
Thank you Raula......Hali is arabic in origin . now that is easy to remember.

So its acceptable to say Hali or mambo to everyone irrespective of their status ...even with odayga Soddoga! kkk

Apophis ...coast, you mean mombasa to zanzibar.

Now how do I say..

(((I have been trying to construct sentences using google translate but it had got me in trouble before and I am avoiding that)))

What would you like to drink?
utanywaje or utakunywaje

Let us go and eat?
((Kula is again Arabic in origin)) twende tukale or twende tukakule

do you mind if I speak somali? je, nikiongea kisomali

Somali is a beautiful language lugha ya kisomali ni lugha mrembo

There are many who can speak better than me like raula, malaika, Oz and much more, I hope they will help

You can also go to this thread if you wish to sxb,

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/open-forum/7068-unataka-kusoma-na-kiswahili-you-wanna-learn-swahili.html

Haatu   

Let me he help out a bit:

mlango = door

kajika = spoon

mjani = teabag/teapowder

kibarwa = manual labour

malakote = a tribe

pole sana = sorry

Boolad (don't know the correct sp that's how we said it in Gsa) = kenyan equivalent of cent

Mkamba = another tribe

Samburu = another tribe

That's all the Kiswahili/Kenyan words I can remember now :D

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;935013 wrote:
losing your mother tongue, ya?
:P

Chombo cha kuzama hakina usukani :D That in a nutshell is you :D :D

Vibi Halyanko is a classic one, i also like, another line somalis use, "nyaama Juma"(Nyama choma,roasted meat). Love somalis and the corrupt swahili. Anyway, its a beautiful language to learn. Good luck- j