Sign in to follow this  
Maqane

Somali dialects - Lahjadaha Afka Soomaaliga‎ - Thread

Miskiin, you have been of great assistance. Perhaps you can visit the "Su'aashan bal ka jawaab" and perhaps edit a short somali poem, written by myself, a somali illiterate.

Haatu   

Xaaji, I beginning to believe what Che said about standard Somali. I just noticed that nearly all politicians when they speak (even Siilaanyo) constantly use the hayaha like you said. I just heard Siilaanyo saying "Dantayada" and "Dalkayaga" the other day.

Wadani   

Haatu;933884 wrote:
Xaaji, I beginning to believe what Che said about standard Somali. I just noticed that nearly all politicians when they speak (even Siilaanyo) constantly use the hayaha like you said. I just heard Siilaanyo saying "Dantayada" and "Dalkayaga" the other day.

There is no other way of saying 'dantayada' and 'dalkayaga' unless one uses the variant spoken in parts of Kilinka where they would say 'dantanaga' and 'dalkanaga'. The 'hayaa' Xaaji was talking about is something else. For example Somalinders would say 'waan imanayaa' while those form Mudug would say 'waan imanahayaa'. Another example 'cunto ayaan cunayaa' vs 'cunto ayaan cunahayaa'.

Maaddeey   

^Danteenna & Dalkeenna ama dantaanya iyo dhulkoora!. :)

Af Soomaaliga la qoro wax lahjad ah ma leh, waa sida BBC Somali looga akhriyo oo kale.

Wadani   

Maaddeey;933997 wrote:
^Danteenna & Dalkeenna ama dantaanya iyo dhulkoora!.
:)

Af Soomaaliga la qoro wax lahjad ah ma leh, waa sida BBC Somali looga akhriyo oo kale.

Danteena iyo dalkeena waxa ka daqiiqsan micno ahaan dantayada iyo dalkayaga, waayo labadan dambe waxay muujiniyaan in aan la idin la lahayn waxaan aad ka hadlaysid.

Haatu   

Wadani, dalkeena danteena is another way of saying it (which is what we use).

Wadani   

Maaddeey;934063 wrote:
Haddaan "dalkeenna" ama "dalkannaga" iraahdo, yaa nala leh bey muujinaysaa Dalka?.

Ok example, the Somali president is speaking at the U.N and says 'danteena'. Without context it's impossible to tell if he means 'our' including the other nations at the U.N., or if he means 'our', as in exclusively for the Somali nation. But if he said 'dantayada' u don't need context to know he is speaking exclusively of the Somali nation.

Wadani   

Actually it means benefit. I was talking about the meaning of 'our' in relation to the suffixes 'yada' vs 'eena'. Wasn't implying that dantayada means our.

Wadani   

Maaddeey;934521 wrote:
^^ What about dadka aan '...yaga, iwm' isticmaalinba?.

Somalis who don't use the 'yaga' or 'naga' suffixes use context to understand the intent of the speaker. This is no different than English. Eg, you ask your wife 'when should we sell our house?' The same exact question can be asked to your neighbours, yet everyone who hears the question will know that your neighbours don't share the home with u while your wife does.

Sign in to follow this