Sign in to follow this  
Maqane

Somali dialects - Lahjadaha Afka Soomaaliga‎ - Thread

Af may is original i agree and thats where the true Somali grammar has its roots in , but Reer Mudug accent is nothing close to the standard Somali have u seen reer mudug talk it is something in between the reer woqoyi accent and the far deep koonfur accent but it has a little twist of their own . And i dont think the Somali goverment in the past even adopted that dialect but people assumed it was because it was something in between. But with their hadaal jiidmo it can hardly be considered standard. i think if we want the pure standard Somali its in danoot its Somali galbeed also close to the dhagaxbuur district and close to reer wardheer hadalka ma jidaan and do not talk like those in burco or laascaanood. But in between they speak a better Somali than those in wardheer and Mudug, oo ay kaga dhagtay wax la wada hayaada ah.Problem when u say what is standard for some in Xamar,, hiiraan is standard from some in Djibouti Hargeisa is standard for some in Dhagaxbuur bari accent is standard. It depends really where you are.

The Mudug Somali dialect is the benchmark.This is fact not opinion. Text books were written in this dialect and broadcasting was done in this dialect.

Haatu   

Che -Guevara;930365 wrote:
Poor Haatu, you too invest time in studying the Somali before you label some regions as speaking the formal Somali. How one dialect be more proper than other?

Really? I have always read the Northern dialect is standard.

Btw, do you have any books written by somali linguists we can read?

Wadani   

Haatu;930585 wrote:
Really? I have always read the Northern dialect is standard.

Btw, do you have any books written by somali linguists we can read?

U sheeg ninyahoo. There is a reason most of the great poets were Cagdheer from Kilinka, SNM and Khaatumo.

Jacpher   

^It has nothing to do with clan or birth place.

Che is right. You can bank on that fact; Mudug is the written dialect in Somali Textbooks. Doesn't mean other dialects are inferior as some of you may think that.

Given the rise of regional states, federalism , and break off states, I would think this whole idea of the "standard" dialect is no longer relevant. To each its own, is the adopted mantra now of the Somali language.

Haatu   

SomaliPhilosopher;930594 wrote:
Given the rise of regional states, federalism , and break off states, I would think this whole idea of the "standard" dialect is no longer relevant. To each its own, is the adopted mantra now of the Somali language.

No thank you.

Che, supply the material will ya?

Wadani   

SomaliPhilosopher;933671 wrote:
How bout mahadcelin and mahadnaq. Is there a difference? Regional?

No difference, and not regional. Both r formal Somali phrases used everywhere.

Sign in to follow this