Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Dear Head teacher......

NGONGE   

Dear Head teacher,

Recently, my son Abdi came home with a script for the school’s planned play for the Easter Holidays. I was glad and very gratified to discover that the play this year is about Somalia. With two thirds of the children in your school hailing from that country, it is about time that the school recognised this fact and started to pay homage to the predominate culture of most of its pupils. Furthermore, and although most Somali parents would naturally encourage their children to learn and be sensitive about Christian culture, we nonetheless remain Muslim and have grown tired of the same plays about Mary, Joseph and the most famous donkey in the world.

Still, this is not the reason I decided to pen this letter to you. The real reason is that I have some minor observation about this intended play. First of all, you must be aware of the differences of opinion (to put it mildly) that exist amongst Somalis. Though we originally come from the same country, we all belong to different parts of said nation and different clans. With that in mind, one must be extremely sensitive and considerate when allocating parts to the different children.

Sir, it is unacceptable for me, my child and my family to discover that our son has been given the part of Somali president when we don’t even hail from the same clan of the current incumbent. In this, I do not direct any blame towards your person or the school itself but the choice of teacher you chose to help you write this play. I understand that the play was co-written by one of your class assistants, a Mr Abib Salaax . I have no doubt that Mr Salaax is a competent and capable employee however, as a Somali; I strongly doubt his impartiality and even-handedness. After all, Mr Salaax if you were not aware is from the central regions of Somalia and considering the current situation of the country, is not likely to view any northerners with much neutrality. This is evident in the way he distributed the parts amongst the children and how his own child has miraculously landed with the least controversial part in the play (that of a Diaspora kid who is unaware of the Somali conflict).

Sir, why should my child forever be associated with the mistakes of the Somali president when he doesn’t even come from the same area of Somalia? Why should his face become synonyms with the blunder of that man whenever his peers look at him or discuss (as kids occasionally do) the problems of Somalia? He surely would have been better off playing the part of the lovable donkey in those tired old nativity plays.

I would also like to remind you that “Somalia” has three flags; Somaliland, Puntland and the more widely known blue flag. It is unfair of the school to confuse such young minds by giving them the impression that all Somalis identify with only the blue flag. In my home for example, I have introduced my children to the Somaliland flag at a very early age and have been fostering a sense of patriotism and pride in their heritage ever since. The least I would expect is for the school and home to be singing from the same hymn sheet in these multicultural times.

I have discussed the matter with other parents and most were aghast at the shoddy work and insensitivity of Mr Elmi when it came to allocating parts. One Puntland parent protested the fact that her daughter was given the role of Somali Foreign Minister when, according to the parent, “the whole world knows that Puntlanders always get the role of Prime Minister”. As a result, these discussions with the vast majority of parents have reached a consensus regarding this play in which we all agreed that the play should be rewritten in consultation with all parents and taking into account all the sensitivity and thoughtfulness required when dealing with such issues.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the excellent performance in the recent OFSTEAD inspection and hope that you continue making this school one of the best in the area.

Yours

Abdi Warya.

Nice one, NG. .. This reminds me of the Somali community center in my town and the fight over non or low paying positions. Somalis and obsession with titles. !

Maaddeey   

:D

Waxaan dacwo ka ahay inaad Abiib Saalax from central Somalia ka dhigto, koow: magaca keenna maaha laba: inteennii iskool lug ku lahayd dawladda xun bey ku biireen. Magaca naga beddel ama ka dhig Abtigiis's tribe!!. Waa ku sidee. :D

NGONGE   

^^ :D :D :D The time allowed for editing has gone and there is nothing I can do. If nuune would be so kind as to put any name he chooses in that place, I wouldn't mind at all. :D