Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland President Ahmed Silanyo delivers his state of the Nation speech+PICS

Mr. Oodweyne,

i agree. the speech was an opportunistic attempt at redemption. it would not have salvaged anything nor change the direction towards the abattoir. silly-yaan-yoo lacks the political legitimacy to make unilateral executive decisions but if only he were more decisive. and like you said previously bro our foreign policy has been sub-contracted. what hope is left there baal?

The Sage   

Oodweyne, I think you're delving too deeply into what SHOULD be said versus what a state of the union speech is actually supposed to be about. A state of the union isn't supposed to make apologies, admit mistakes or announce radical new directions in policy. The key is to trumpet the achievements of the government, outline the progress made in the past year and announce the legislative agenda for the coming year. If he turned it into a speech about the new foreign policy paradigms he should adopt and show weakness in the shortcomings he's made it'll only undermine the strength of the state and weaken the authority he holds. Long story short there's a time a place for everything and this wasn't the right opportunity.

Anyway, I see that you've been busy nitpicking the foreign policy shortcomings of the Silanyo administration but do you have anything constructive to say about the advances they've made on the domestic side? I mean exponentially increasing the budget from the UDUB years from $50 million in 2010 to $175 million today is no small feat, on top of that the improvements to the security apparatus (police, army), building of schools and hospitals etc. I feel that when it come to actually running a government and running bureaucracy Kulmiye is definitely better than their predecessors...although it's worse in other areas.

A_Khadar   

Madaxwayne La Moodo Inuu Liqay Cajalad Qudha. “Madaxwaynaha waxaanu ugu taag laanahay hadal” waa weedhaha ugu waawayn ee ay nin la jira iyo mid ka jiraba ku dhaliilaan Madaxwayne Siilaanyo. Ka dib duufaanadii is huwanaa ee siyaasadeed ee xaga arimaha gudaha iyo dhirbaaxooyinkii diblomaasiyadeed ee is daba socday ee ku habsaday dalkeena mudo yar oo gaaban gudahood, iyo kala hadalkii uu ka muuqday qarboqarbaha iyo bisayl la'aantu ee ay kaga jawaabeen matalayaasha xukuumadu ayaa dadku u hanqal taagayeen bal waxa duqa reerka u wayni ku dhawaaqo.

Waxay u dhag taagayeen dadku caam ahaan, iyo waxgaradkuba gaar ahaan, inay ka maqlaan duqa khudabad ku xididaysan waaqaca, cabiraysa waayaha, ku salaysan waayo aragnimo. Waxay sugayeen khudbad dhayda nabarada qoyan, khudbad garawshiyo ka muuqdo, khudbad inta ay si isdabataal u tiriso mashaakilka yaal, hadana ka daba gaysa mid walba xalkeedii. Waxay sugayeen khudbad ay maqalkeeda ka dib hoydaan iyagoo ay ka buuxdo quluubtooda kalsooni baahsan oo ay ku qabaan khibrada iyo xirfada naakhuudaha isteerinka u haya markabka ay saaranyihiin ee aan calankiisa maraakiibta kale xaqiiqsanayn.

Waxay sugayeen khudabad laga dheehanayo inay ka soo burqantay duq ay maalmuhu taba bareen yaqaanana sida looga dabaasho badwaynta ay dabaylaha xoogi lihi ku kacsan yihiin ee mawjaduhu dhawaq dheer isku dharbaaxayaan. Waxay sugayeen maqalka khudabad u cadaysa jihada loo wado daahana si aan cad lahayn uga qaadaysa masiirkooda iyo kan ubadkooda iyo kan ubadka ubadkooda. Maxuuse la shir yimi duqii reerka u waynaa: Mushaharkii waanu kordhinay Nabadu waa muhiim Somaliland waa qaran Macdan baanu soo saarnay Iyo qaar kaloo u eeg Dayaxaanu dhinaca ina soo xigta rinjiyaynay kana taagnay calankeenii. Iyo faan aan daruuri ahayn.

Waa yaabe hadaba duqu ma cajalad kaliyuu liqay Mise waxay inta ku meersani ku seexisaa dhulkii waa daadax Oo waxay u soo qoraan uunbuu inoo akhriyaa isagoo dirqi ku arkaya Isku soo xooriyoo Duqu sanadkiiba marbuu hadlaa markaana waxaad ku murmaysaa toloow ma tii sanadkii horuu TV gu dib inoogu shiday?

Muxiyadiin Haybe UK muxiyadiinhaybe@gmail.com

NGONGE   

Oodweyne;914073 wrote:
^^^
Alpha Blondy

It is open bet as to what his
"game"
ultimately is in here. After all, he of all people must know this silly game of talking to Somalia is a dead-end. And therefore, no amount of putting a lipstick on this corpse will prettify it, no matter what. Hence, to me, it shocking to see this turn of events from the current government, knowing particularly how the nation as a whole will take it if at the end of the day any
"national betrayal"
is countenance by him (or as he will probably put it a
"compromise"
) vis-a-vis with other side in Somalia. but, we shall see how this high-wire act of his will land to the ground.

I apologise for not giving you that call yet, I've been too ill to remember. However, I can't see what your problem with this speech is! After all, it looks like Siilaanyo addressed all the issues that needed addressing. Here, have a look:

-----

On the elections:

"Somaliland is lucky to have elders and politicians who always put the interest of the country before theirs and I would like to take this opportunity to thank and congratulate the leaders of the political associations who despite their misgivings about the results have conceded the election and graciously accepted the outcome; Dr. Mohamed Abdi Gaboose, Hassan Mohamed Ali "Gaafaadhi", and Ismail Adan Osman."

We have the parliamentary elections coming in 2013, we have the Guurti elections the following year in 2014 and there will be presidential elections in 2015.Furthermore we must do a complete voter registration before we can hold another election given the experience of the 2012 election."

On Somalia:

"The talks between Somaliland and Somalia are promising and were based on the outcome of the London conference in Feb 23, 2012, where the International community expressed their support to see the dialogue between Somaliland and Somalia to determine the future relationship between the two countries. This Chamber approved the talks and provided my government the legal basis to have this dialogue with Somalia. That was a good step towards building peace in the region and with our neighbours."

"We have a good understanding with the new government of Somalia. Today we are working hard to develop our nation and get the International community to respect our self-determination and sovereignty."

"The recognition of the government of Somalia by the US government does not concern Somaliland; it is a new development for Somaliland only speaks to the US acceptance of the new government in Mogadishu and the new process that created it. We are not concerned about this nor do we see this as an ominous sign, in fact we are glad to see Somalia achieve a modem of stability and peace."

"We can attest that there is a good relationship between Somaliland and the US government and the US recognition of Somali government will have no impact in our ongoing and fruitful engagement with the US. The Government of the United States has assured us that its recognition of the government of Somalia will not prevent the US government from engaging in Somaliland nor prevent them from maintaining ongoing programs in Somaliland. The US Government further assured us that it made sure to clarify this with the Somali government before deciding to recognize them."

"My fellow citizens; the most important goal of this nation is to get recognition from the International community. Reaching this goal is a common responsibility that requires our unity and the collective effort of my administration, this honourable Chamber, the leaders of all national parties and the brave people of Somaliland."

"The will of the people demanded the creation of Somaliland and they passed a Constitution which declared the independence of Somaliland, therefore our independence is not negotiable. We urge all peace loving people and nations to respect the wishes of our people and support Somaliland's steady march toward democracy and prosperity."

"I urge Somaliland leaders to refrain from actions that will hinder or damage the ongoing talks with Somalia and the principal agreements reached at the London meeting. Fostering friendship and collaboration on issues of mutual interest with our neighbour as two distinct and different nations' is in our best interest, and does not diminish or damage our self-determination or sovereignty."

Foreign Policy:

"The foundation of the Foreign Policy of this nation is to secure recognition for our country. To that end the foreign policy of my administration is to vigorously pursue a policy of engagement with the international community particularly governments in Africa, Arab world, IGAD, Europe, UN, and the US.

Additional guiding principles are: to increase our security and maintain our stability by working closely with the governments in the region. It is also necessary to grow our economy and increase the business opportunities by inviting foreign investors to develop the natural resources in our country."

--------------------------------------------------------

What more do you want, blood? :D

As for the Brits and their "warning", don't you think the walk in the middle of the city was enough of a reply? Naga daa dee.

STOIC   

Based on the information on the speech, unless someone in here has a first knowledge of the talks between Somalia/Somaliland, nothing really changed on Somaliland stand, but the balanced has tipped in favor of Somalia since that London confrence.We all know by now president Silanyo can not make any far-reaching concesions with Somalia without the backing of his citizens.Compared to the muddled and feckless public addresses we been hearing coming from SL lately, this speech seemed focused and defiant when it came to the well known standing of Somaliland on the idea of secession. Granted this was not a desultory conversation I guess the President should have elaborated a bit what there next step will be( now that things changed from a year ago) if for some reasons the talk fails (and I believe it will promptly fail in favor of Somalia). A sober and exhaustive outlook to the future was much needed from his administration in this public speech.But, beyond these basic facts, almost everything about the conference in London -why it happened in the first place and why nothing will came of it-is a matter of contention among the different Supporters and I will leave at that for the moment until the talks resume and see if any valuable outcomes will come for Somaliland.

Haatu   

oodka, that's not what I was referring to. I was thinking he might be the Cigaal of 1967 in the sense of PM.

The Sage;914217 wrote:
Oodweyne, I think you're delving too deeply into what SHOULD be said versus what a state of the union speech is actually supposed to be about. A state of the union isn't supposed to make apologies, admit mistakes or announce radical new directions in policy. The key is to trumpet the achievements of the government, outline the progress made in the past year and announce the legislative agenda for the coming year. If he turned it into a speech about the new foreign policy paradigms he should adopt and show weakness in the shortcomings he's made it'll only undermine the strength of the state and weaken the authority he holds. Long story short there's a time a place for everything and this wasn't the right opportunity.

Anyway, I see that you've been busy nitpicking the foreign policy shortcomings of the Silanyo administration but do you have anything constructive to say about the advances they've made on the domestic side? I mean exponentially increasing the budget from the UDUB years from $50 million in 2010 to $175 million today is no small feat, on top of that the improvements to the security apparatus (police, army), building of schools and hospitals etc. I feel that when it come to actually running a government and running bureaucracy Kulmiye is definitely better than their predecessors...although it's worse in other areas.

What areas do they not do well in your opinions?

NGONGE   

^^ Human rights. Bits of the judiciary. Freedom of the press. The elemination of corruption and nepotism. Nothing major really. :D

^All major areas don't you think old man? especially with the conflict of interest situations the president was in with his subclan. The foreign affairs stuff is all external stuff that should take a back seat for now (I realize the importance of handling this)

The Sage   

AfricaOwn;914338 wrote:
What areas do they not do well in your opinions?

I was going to list them but ngonge took the word right out of my mouth. The issue of corruption stands out in my mind but also the jailing of journalists is pretty troubling since it tarnishes our democratic credentials to the international community. I just really hope they run the elections smoothly in 2014/2015 or things are going to get crazy