Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somaliland: Pictures Of The Week, A reminder to Somalilanders

Saalax   

Writen by Qaran News | Published: Jan 20th, 2013 at 05:34 PM

snkkIjn.jpg

Hargeisa(Qarannews):- This a picture taken of Hargeisa in 1990 after the destruction caused by the forces of the defunct “Somali Republic”, using heavy artillery and mercenaries flying from the airport to bomb the city and its residents. This is the road that passes in front of City Centre Hotel. This an example of the”benefits” from the union with Somalia in 1960. A reminder to those who hanker for the myth of “Greater Somalia”.

NPePHWJ.jpg

This Hargeisa today, rebuilt through the hard work and sacrifice of the people of Somaliland, both at home and abroad. Was Hargeisa ever like this in the 30 year union? The answer is no. During those 30 years it was a politically, socially and economically decimated place, then it was a war zone, then it was a city of constant curfews, and finally, it became the scene for a bitter war to regain sovereignty. Does anyone think anything has changed in Somalia? Do you honestly believe that Somaliland would ever be part of the madness in Somalia? Buildings can be replaced, and Somalilanders will once again tear everything down to protect their sovereignty and independence. Never for a moment doubt that.

Haatu   

Hey be fair people. Greater Somalia never existed so how could it have done that? Blame Siyaad Barre and his gov, not Somaliweyn!

Haatu   

^No no. Wrong again. Siyaad Barre and his government did it. Don't blame a whole country for the actions of a dictator.

I'm sure the various provinces of China should also secede from China and declare "independence" after the atrocities committed by Chairman Mao Zedong and his regime in the 1970's.

The people of Somaliland seem to forget that Siad Barre was a dictator. He killed and tortured thousands of members of Abdullahi Yusuf's clan but you don't see them renouncing their connection to the Somali Republic.

Haatu;910383 wrote:
^No no. Wrong again. Siyaad Barre and his government did it. Don't blame a whole country for the actions of a dictator.

Wasn't that the Somali government Golaha shacabka kacaanka Somaliyeed maxan maqli jiray.

DoctorKenney;910387 wrote:
I'm sure the various provinces of China should also secede from China and declare "independence" after the atrocities committed by Chairman Mao Zedong and his regime in the 1970's.

The people of Somaliland seem to forget that Siad Barre was a dictator. He killed and tortured thousands of members of Abdullahi Yusuf's clan but you don't see them renouncing their connection to the Somali Republic.

Thats not the reason why Somaliland re declared its independence thats just one of the sacrifices the people of SL made to win their sovereignty something no one can take from them now. The Independence struggle started just after the Union when SL officers staged a coup in 1961. The union died the moment it was conceived in the hearts and minds of Somaliland. Somaliland was just considered as any other regions of Somalia like hiiraan or Mudug. No sharing of power between Somalilanders and Koonfurians. The Koonfurians took the President the Prime Minister the head of the Military and police commander and 95% of the cabinet positions. Than Adan cade came with the idea to place Somaliland troops in the south and Koonfurians troops in Somaliland. This was automatically seen as some sort of occupation. Than the corruption in the constitutional elections where one district of the south had more voters than the entire woqoyi galbeed region,the famous district Wanleweyn. When we all know the vast majority of the SL population rejected that constitution and voted no, but it was still pushed by the regime of Mogadishu. Than the Military regime took over and we went to war with Ethiopia and we all know what happened than the liberation struggle began. So the entire union of history between SL and Somalia was negative, and thats how the union failed. President cigaal explained it very well in details how it all went after all he was the one who made that awful Union. He regretted his mistake.

My family is from eastern Sanaag, and they are the most peaceful people. I don't hate the SNM or Somaliland despite members of my family being killed by them and my aunt escaping to Syria to live as a refugee for years. People need to let go, I don't know maybe If Somaliland played it right I'll become a Somalilander

Alpha as long as you have ur guns and freedom you're people have a future

They can take our wealth

Destroy our homes

Kill our elders

They can even take our ictraaf

But they can never take our freedom