Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

Umar Ibn al-Khattab TV series by MBC

Ibtisam   

I just watched Ep 5 because a friend of mine was going on about how great it was, then I saw somewhere one of the Al Azhar complaining about it. Anyway so far, so good, the Arabic is a bit funky and so far one or two random things (or in the wrong order) but overall this segment is fine. The youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTjOI18JLO8

All the Abu Hakam/ Abu Jahal character is annoying the hell out of me- they could not have made him more dislike able.

N.O.R.F   

Only seen episode 1 and it was a good start. Looks like MBC have spent quite a bit of money on it.

I'm sure there other series they could put up on youtube (Salahu Diin, Khalid Ibn Waleed etc).

Ibtisam   

IT is probably on there if you search for it. It is a really big production so I am sure it cost a bit- but with their cut down on those silly East Enders type series they probably had a lot of money left over- or some rich Shikh payed for it.

Ibtisam   

The best quote;

"Follow your heart and withstand the consequence, you will be my opponent with respect and admiration, if you prefer cowardice and safety then follow others, you will be my ally but I will look at you with contempt"

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;907471 wrote:
^Please summarise.

It's a discussion an Arabic site about the show. The original writer is tying himself in knots about the good parts and bad parts of the show (though he does raise a couple of controversial points here and there).

Still, the problem with making "historical drama" is that the viewers (in time) start to associate the simple actor with the personality he's portraying in the show. For example, when I think of Abu Al Tayib Al Mutanabi, I always recall an image of the Lebanese actor Abdul Majid Majthoob. When I think of Spartacus, I think of Kirk Douglas (with Malcolm X, sometimes it's Denzel and sometimes it's Al Haj Malik :D).

In addition, in Arabic drama at least, there has always been a rule not to portray prophets, companions or Khulafa (going by the various fatwas). However, with this show breaking that rule the question that begs itself is: how long before an accepted movie is made when the prophet's likeness is portrayed by some glorified actor?

p.s.

Such lavish productions have been the norm ever since Al Jawaarix was first made by Dubai TV in the early 90s (though, of course, that was just a fantasy story rather than a biography of an Islamic Khalifa).