Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

I never use SKYPE

NGONGE   

As Microsoft continues the Herculean task of migrating its millions of loyal instant messaging users over to Skype, the software giant has finally announced the end date for the Messenger service — March 15. After that time, any user wanting to send IMs through Microsoft’s servers will need to log into Skype.

Whether you still call it MSN Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Microsoft Messenger, or simply just “Messenger,” Microsoft’s chat program has been around for decades, and has amassed more than 100 million users. When Microsoft acquired Skype in 2011, it wasn’t long before everyone started realizing that eventually, the Messenger platform would be folded into Skype.

Knowing that it had such an enormous and loyal user base, Microsoft has tried to ensure that the transition will be as smooth and painless as possible. To that end, users are able to sign into Skype using the exact same credentials as their Messenger account.

In addition, all contacts are imported automatically so it really is just getting used to the Skype interface and becoming familiar with the new tools and options. The biggest hassle that users need to worry about is just downloading the Skype software.

The one caveat to this is for users in China. Because Skype is operated by a different local provider in that region, Microsoft will keep the Messenger platform alive, but only for those users who live in mainland China.

Even after the transition from Messenger to Skype began, many users still used both platforms, likely just because they were so used to the Messenger interface. That luxury will no longer be available after March 15, though. Once everyone is forced onto the new platform, it will make it easier for Microsoft to create a universal chat system, ranging from mobile devices to Windows 8, to the Xbox 360. There will be a total user base of more than 300 million users.

So from March 15 onward, expect to start seeing some significant updates to the overall reach and presence of Skype.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/microsoft-officially-retiring-messenger-on-march-15-2013019/

--------

Of course, I also can't remember the last time I used MSN either. But I don't like this change, don't like it at all. :(

Coofle   

MSN will be a beautiful memory...no body uses it anymore ... SKYPE is the new trend...Waar tijaabi you get hooked

NGONGE   

Coofle, for almost two years now my only online vice has been SOL (I sometimes check out FB) but I have not had the time or desire to use anything else. I don't like to be looking at the person I'm writing to when I write, it takes away from the "waraa xijaab" feeling of the net. :D

wyre   

Lol

I don't use either skype or Msn, and you know what? I am as you, Only SOL few months I made facebook account for some reason, but then I forgot the password :D

Didn't use MSN for years now and I'm not sure if I remember the password ..... Skype is cool, handy and easy to use, not sure if the new crowd will create a mess ... :D

Haatu   

Wallee iyo wallee. Imagine my sijui accent and his waqooyi one. My sisters used to laugh when they heard us talk :D

Samafal   

Skype has revolutionized the internet and took it into another level. Not only you can make free voice calls, video calls and instant messaging but you can make low rated long distant phone calls to any phone any where provided you have good connection. It's cheap, convenient and saves you time.