Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The [i]Mingis[/i] Expiation

AT,

you didn't provide a clear description of the practice of mingis! is this common practice among all people or those possessed and on the edge? similarly, it’s a little odd someone tormented by sinning should find solace in mingis.....or is that how you wanted to portray ruqiya, a person caught between a rock and a hard place…… seeking escape?

also, why do you think ruqiya let go.....? and why did mursal stay with her? was it for the sake of the children?

^Man, you're an eloquent man. However, you don't have to necessarily write a Halal story for any audience. By all means, challenge people's stereotypes or their inability to own up to their faults, but the question is, can you deliver your beautifully crafted piece in a way that befits a society like ours, or are you going to challenge and see how far you can push the social, cultural and religious boundaries?

Speaking of the poetry and Somali folklore, theirs was beautifully clothed and subtle form of adult conversation. It may have been public, out there, but it wasn't as obvious as you have laid yours out (example, 'ani lee baraakadaa bukeen karaa'). I Stand to be corrected if otherwise.

The graphic picture that you have given us here of a Somali mother (there's still a social, familial bond between 'maalis, despite our conflict) fornicating openly, going behind her husband and betraying everything we are is, to me, insensitive.

Xaaji waa cuntami la'dahay bahashu.

How ridiculous! You logged on to this forum, navigated to this thread, spent at the minimum 5 minutes reading what Abtigiis published and you have the audacity to feel offended? You had the option, at each stage, to opt out of being "offended" yet you, at your own will, chose to move forward and arrived, by your own volition, a point of distress. If you want to be disgusted, be disgusted with yourself for being weak willed.

And what moral high ground are you occupying jesus?

At the risk of being rude, I am not going to honour your cantarabaqash with a response.

Apophis;902823 wrote:
How ridiculous! You logged on to this forum, navigated to this thread, spent at the minimum 5 minutes reading what Abtigiis published and you have the audacity to feel offended? You had the option, at each stage, to opt out of being "offended" yet you, at your own will, chose to move forward and arrived, by your own volition, a point of distress. If you want to be disgusted, be disgusted with yourself for being weak willed.

And what moral high ground are you occupying jesus?

go easy on Dhagax-Tuur. he has every right to express a concern where he deems necessary. we have a culture where such ''vulgarity'' is hardly mentioned, discussed openly or spoken off in public. in the private sphere, too, people are still a little muted in speaking about such things. to be honest, i'm quite glad we still find this type of thing a shock and have not become desensitised.

Apophis;902837 wrote:
Yes, by all means let Somalis be sensitive about sex and not all those nice stuff we've been doing to each other over the last two decades. I have no respect for those who offend themselves and take it out on others. To quote Tony Blair: They're "weak, weak, weak".

^ maybe that's how you rationalise it, but i beg to differ, Apo.

when they say we're a socially conservative society, i think it has nothing to do with our culture, but the extent to which we're 'open' to discussing things. sex is a big taboo and so it should be. its meant to happen behind closed doors and in the privacy of those involved. now, when there is a blurred distinction between the public and private spheres, there are bound to be opportunities to speculate. these arena's of speculation, hearsay and imaginations create distortions and exaggerations of reality. because of this savage over-sexualisation of society, the WEST has developed into a society obsessed with sex and its people are triggered so easily. how do you say 'sexy' in somali horta......i'm aware, we as people, lack in that department but i think AT's story was all too real but no-one wants to discuss it. and although these things happen all the time, it never happens to you or I, you don't imagine somali women, who have been the bedrock of our society to be having affairs, you call kids dirty name but never the kid receiving such torments and as for Mursal, his raagnimo in doubt, he an innocent soul all of a sudden, his sanity is in question because his wife has done what he would've done anyway.

a post-conflict society meets the post-industrial 21st century realities - that's very similar to lacking basic infrastructure but at the same time having one of the most efficient telecommunications in the region.

Haatu   

Abtigiis, ma odayaasha tolka ayaan sheeko caynkan oo kale lasoo hor istaagaa (insert famous OG saying Ab.same something something something I can't remember but I'm sure you know :D )

Sheikh Bashir was a devout man. He still wonders how a pious man, who doesn't look at woman at all, ended up clasping the sumptuous buttocks of Ruqiya.

This was classic. I imagined every wadaad-ku-sheeg I know here :D

For Apo's benefit: the saying I roughly quoted does not in any way imply that I use it regularly, nor does it imply that I'm knowledgeable in Somali sayings. I merely remember my mother using it in my childhood :D

LOL@Apo,

i've rejected the cultural hubris of the WEST! and for good reason too.....

and how predictable of you to reminder us of how wonderful and progressive the WEST is...........

^ why beg when there is an alternative source of food? you're all about closing options without looking beyond what you know and recognise as the norm. perhaps, you ought to put on your atheist hat on in critiquing the WEST? your sharp mind can find faults quicker than the fall of lehman bros.

STOP being an islamo-facist-thug-obstructer sxb! naga daa bahasha haadaba dee! LOL

Malika   

^It was fiction dear - thought you would at least appreciate his skills there.

A&T - you need to write a book. SOL waqtiga haa iska lumiin.

Ruqiya's story highlights of many 'disappointed' women, engulfed by depression because society expects them to be 'such' - whilst men can be 'just' without anyone blinking an eye lid.

Abtigiis   

Malika;902950 wrote:

A&T - you need to write a book. SOL waqtiga haa iska lumiin.

Dear Malika, and whose name shall the book carry?! I mean look at here. The most liberal and educated Somalis are in this forum and my stories are deemed vulgar, insulting and blasphemous. What do you think will happen if I include two paragraphs of this sort ( even sanitized) in a book? No! I want to spare my children the embarrassment and my parents the shame.

I will compensate by annoying the zealots in this forum like my friend Sharmarke. :D haduu i soo weerari doonaa isagoo oodihiisa wata!

Valneteenah - welcome back macaan.

nuune   

^^ Diktoore, sheekooyinkaagu maan akhrin waayadan, bal tan yareed soo qortey ayaan isha mariyey, without generalizing, what you mentioned there happens in daily life, there is Ma-Sugto(waa mid ninkeeda dhowr bilood ka maqnaa for seminar to Brussels), and does her things, there is another one called Fasaqdo(ninkeedey iska fasaqi after only 3 weeks away without his knowledge), waana aalkoliisato, markuu soo noqdana waa reer dhaqan(waa mid kaarta miidhan), there is another one called Holacdo(this one ma xamili karto ninkeedoo ka maqnaado for one week only), hence wey tumasho tagtaa and lives happy life, another one called Qeyd-dhac(for being fashionable and ending up in pubs late evening with friends), even though ninkeeda uu joogo but is away to the Halal Marfishs, there is another one called Hilib-Cad(for welcoming strangers into her home even though the husband is there, and if he talks, fooryadi kaano la dhahayo waa maxbuus caruurtuu hayaa and cooks for her and her friends in the house all the time), there is another one called Sur-Dheer(waa quruxley and educated with children and husband never goes anywhere, she still student and does her degrees in the evenings, and comes home after 2AM, sometimes with xeyn niman ah).

Coofle   

Textbook Hypocrisy is what I see in many comments and replies...Hypocrisy , heaps and loads of hypocrisy.

bleating like sheep doesn't make you a sheep, nor does insincere condemnation makes you a shaikh. I am sure after they enjoyed the story, even nodding their heads in agreement with the moral of the story, they conjured the old and well known reply...Waxan muxuu ahaa...Just like a young nubile that was told a naughty joke, she will put the palm of her hand on her blushing face, but deep down she actually enjoyed the joke and wishes you bring and spit more dirty jokes... Just like her, the mentality of those 'commenters' is still nubile and immature and time alone will help them metamorphose to more mature nomads and help them accept what they are, I hope.....its healthy to be sincere with your inner self.

"Afkiyo uurkoo kala badalan aarsan maysaane" ~Afqalooc

Nice one Abtigiis....Always reading your short stories is a breeze,,,,

Wadani   

Abtigiis waa qoraa heer sare ah, wuxuuna soo bandhigay sheeko si qurux badan loo soo farshaxamayay oo ay ku dhamaatay maado iyo murti xeel-dheer.

wyre   

Coofle;903158 wrote:
Textbook Hypocrisy is what I see in many comments and replies...Hypocrisy , heaps and loads of hypocrisy.

bleating like sheep doesn't make you a sheep, nor does insincere condemnation makes you a shaikh. I am sure after they enjoyed the story, even nodding their heads in agreement with the moral of the story, they conjured the old and well known reply...
Waxan muxuu ahaa.
..Just like a young nubile that was told a naughty joke, she will put the palm of her hand on her blushing face, but deep down she actually enjoyed the joke and wishes you bring and spit more dirty jokes... Just like her, the mentality of those 'commenters' is still nubile and immature and time alone will help them metamorphose to more mature nomads and help them accept what they are, I hope.....its healthy to be sincere with your inner self.

"Afkiyo uurkoo kala badalan aarsan maysaane"
~Afqalooc

Nice one Abtigiis....Always reading your short stories is a breeze,,,,

Lol thanks I had the best laugh ever :D

Abtigiis sxb dad badan baa sheekooyinkaaga iibsanaayo haddaad ka dhigto buug aan anigaba ka kow ahaade, do it sxb :)