Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somaliland: A Large Demonstration Rocks Burco

The Sage   

Saalax;902626 wrote:
Hundreds of protesters

Population of Burao: 300,000

Number of protesters: between 100 (minimum) to 999 (maximum)

% of participation: 0.033% to 0.33% of total city population

No matter how you spin it, the facts dictate that the protests only represent an incredibly tiny extreme segment of the population with overtly clannish tendencies. Are their people upset with current political makeup? Sure. Are they enough to demand credible legitimacy and the sensationalized coverage by disenfranchised posters? Hell no.

Let's cut the cr*p shall we?

STOIC;902648 wrote:
Che, I'm really surprised. I must have been sapping my energy on people hell-bent on Sub-clan politics.I always thought they had some decency for national pride and patriotism for their collective effort , but they ended up being the worst of bed-wetting Somalis. Today Silanyo is the president, but tomorrow when a HY becomes the president the same finger pointing will continue so is the bleaker picture!I guess I should have just let my mind unravel the complexity of the Somali clan politics instead of blocking it out and thinking they have decency to hide it....

Ironically, the only thing that's keeping the peace together is the lack of recognition, as recognition and self-determination is the only thing we have in common it looks like, and when that goes it can get ugly, so SL most definitely is not ready for recognition at this state,

Somalia   

Please people, lets not inject Puntland into this.. Somaliland is an independent state not like Puntland.

I want to add that this habar wrestling is not good for the people of Somaliland. I support peace, ilaahi baa mahad leh, lets all just come together.

Thumbs up for peace :D

STOIC   

Che,

Your idea makes intuitive sense.I guess clan politics is both deep and inescapable problem that all Somalis will have to face for a very long time. These are grim prospects that raises the question how long will it take all Somalis to realize the downfall of clan politics. To point these strange turn of event in Somaliland is not to say that they will not exist or even pursue that elusive prey for recognition, but just to point out their weakness.

Saalax   

Sage regardless of the exact number it was enough to make Kulmiye stooges such as Mr Ubaleh piss in their pants

and call for calm.

; wrote:

Mohamed Mohamud Yusuf ‘Ubahle’, the deputy governor, said the strike was unjustified, and criticized the organizers for exploiting legitimate social grievances. He called for calm and no violence has been reported.

The town is bracing for more fresh protests and there are fears the two sides could violently clash.

Somalilandpress

STOIC;902655 wrote:
Che,

the question how long will it take all Somalis to realize the downfall of clan politics.

Question that could be best answered by the residents of Somalia's traumatized city, Xamar Cadeey.

Somalia;902653 wrote:
Please people, lets not inject Puntland into this.. Somaliland is an independent state not like Puntland.

I want to add that this habar wrestling is not good for the people of Somaliland. I support peace, ilaahi baa mahad leh, lets all just come together.

Thumbs up for peace
:D

You support somaliland independence good on you son

Tallaabo   

When Silaanyo was elected, I thought Somaliland was in a safe pair of hands given his political background and experience. And although his government did a lot of things right in the administrative side of things, they failed miserably regarding the politics of the country and improving the political system. With tribal animosity and rage rearing its ugly head in Hargeisa, Saylac, Berbera, and now Burco, the tribal alliances which was for so long adorned with "democratic" gowns is quickly unravelling. I don't think people will take up arms and restart the civil war, but from the beginning it was clear the foundation of the political system in Somaliland was build on a shifting sand. Sad to see Somaliland now in such a fragile state.

NGONGE   

^^ There was similar talk when he lost the election by 80 votes and the following election was delayed by more than eighteen months. It was all doom and gloom then and Somaliland was supposed to be crumbling because the last president was said to be sat on a lion's lap. Nothing came of it in the end and the country carried on. I recall them having more than one demo back then too. :D

Norf, see what I told you about Siilaanyo and why I always preferred to have Riyaale in charge? :D

Xaaji Xunjuf;902721 wrote:
Burco presidents cause nothing but madax xanuun cigaal tuur siilaanyo all from burco

Leadership of sl should be from borama or hargeysa

I don't think Silanyo is doing all of this, I think the old man is more fair than this, however the people around him are the main problem and instigating all of this, and ultimately the blame is on him as the President. He was a failure and I hope we have a decent President coming from Jac side next :)