Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Little-Man Syndrome

IBZ im with you 100% on this.Alpha mate what are you talking about LMAO @ "egalitarian society"... what society are you talking about becausr those words certainly do not describe Somali society.

IBZ, part of the problem is that strong Somali women are villified and stigmatised, whereas weak, docile, pliable and obedient women are heralded as the ideal.

to be continued.

Haatu;895865 wrote:
what? Oday do me and you know the same Somali women sxb?
:D
Or is it just that sijui women are different?

How do you mean? be clear sxb

Haatu   

Well I'm not going to over-generalize seen as I've lived most of my life in the West but the ones I know are certainly not timid. Quite a few of them are working mums and a whole lot of them virtually run their houses. For instance, my mum basically runs our house! :D

Haatu;895877 wrote:
Well I'm not going to over-generalize seen as I've lived most of my life in the West but the ones I know are certainly not timid.
Quite a few of them are working mums and a whole lot of them virtually run their houses. For instance, my mum basically runs our house!

Do you think that would be the case if your mum/family were inside Somalia? But in any case who "runs the house" and whether "women can/do work" is not the focus of this thread but rather the general opportunities and rights (or the lack thereof) of women within Somali society .

Lastly, i dont know what Alpha is smoking but Somali society is not egalitarian, especially not where gender equality is concerned.

Abtigiis;895842 wrote:
War ileen tankoo kale!! War Ibti is talking about education and empowerment and these are not the preserve or impositions of whites!! She is not talking about men telling women not to wear trousers!! Why twist what she is saying. I disagree with her that the bad counsel of the men who teased the young girl for thinking about going to office is to do with being a small. It is about not being educated enough or lack of exposure. But I agree with her such attitude is pervasive and stifles our collective development as a society.

Well said!

Education for women is very important. Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every muslim whether man or woman and not only when it comes to the deen but beyond that too. Let's not forget that Aisha ra was a scholar and educated men. When you educate a man you educate a individual but when you educate a woman you educate a whole nation. Her knowledge will not only benefit her but also her community and her generations to come. So women change the world and not men plus without women there would be no men on this world. So everything starts with women don't forget that.

*Ibtisam;895803 wrote:
I think many men suffer from little man syndrome, so vulnerable needy women make them feel BIG, at the same time I find that many women pretend to be vulnerable as it is easier that way. I was discussing this with inanata gurgiga ila joogta yesterday. She has been going to school for a while now and one of her family member told her "dee malaah waxaad dooni inaad xafiis uu shaqo tagtiid" to which she almost ashamed replied, maya maya I just want to be able to read and write. Of course me and my big mouth I asked why? what is wrong if she has that aspiration, is it not better than what she is doing currently. A long and disturbing discussion ensued.

I get the impression that culturally we raise women to be weak and vulnerable. I can't stand weak women who must always depend on some but I am amazed that there are men out there who find vulnerable women attractive? Even worse I find it strange to see a women pretending to be weak.

When I lived in the UK, I always use to think, poor Asian women, madaax aya laga heesta, I never though strong, loud talking, stubborn Somali women could potentially be in the same category.

I hope women get over this image of expecting some lion of a man to fight all your battles for you! Amen

Blessed   

Scared cultureka aad shagaysaan maxay tahay waaryaadha? Yaana sacred ka dhigay?

Tell them Blue!!

Oh, Ibts, wait till you see the new breed of 'faaraxs in distress' Ingriiska yaacaaya. Kab baad la dhici lahayd looool

Wadani   

Bluelicious;895920 wrote:
Education for women is very important. Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every muslim whether man or woman and not only when it comes to the deen but beyond that too. Let's not forget that Aisha ra was a scholar and educated men. When you educate a man you educate a individual but when you educate a woman you educate a whole nation. Her knowledge will not only benefit her but also her community and her generations to come. So women change the world and not men plus without women there would be no men on this world. So everything starts with women don't forget that.

Well said blue.