Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Working Studying in Gaalo Societies

Khayr;990309 wrote:
Shouldn't the way you look as a representative of an opposing worldview (Islam) be enough of a deterent for co-workers to invite you to their get togethers. The Beard and Hijab are clear outward signs for muslims and are distinguishing features.

As you grow towards Allah, so to the distance between you and them grows.

Be friendly but don't be of them

I think that's Dr. Kenney's approach

Khayr;990309 wrote:
Shouldn't the way you look as a representative of an opposing worldview (Islam) be enough of a deterent for co-workers to invite you to their get togethers. The Beard and Hijab are clear outward signs for muslims and are distinguishing features.

As you grow towards Allah, so to the distance between you and them grows.

Be friendly but don't be of them.

That's what I thought myself! I wear a shirt and tie, but I also have a beard. And I have a Muslim name, so they clearly know that I'm a Muslim. But that doesn't deter them from inviting me to their functions or concerts anyway. I politely turn down invitations to places like rock concerts, bars, strip joints, or cottages. But when it comes to things like workplace get-togethers or something more benign, than I accept the invitation, and I show up (usually with one of my Somali friends who comes along)

guleed_ali;990311 wrote:
Sorry Dr. K I didn't want to make it sound that you were in the wrong. It's definitely easier said than done and you're more cautious than most people I know. I remember a Pakistani brother telling me about the whole handshaking ordeal and he said that he simply mentions it in the email after the confirmation of the interview that he doesn't shake hands. It's just like when someone with a germ phobia refuses to shake hands it shouldn't be anymore awkward for a Muslim to do it. We all have our difficulties and vices living in these societies, may Allah make it easy for all of us Allahuma Ameen...

It's totally fine bro :) I'm actually going to see if your strategy works inshaAllah

Ameen

Tallaabo   

In my opinion the Christmas festival lost its original meaning completely at least here in the western world. I think of it now more of a shopping festival or "an excuse to lit up the house and have a feast" festival.

work place get-togethers or something more benign wouldn't have problem as they talk something normal and as long as they aren't drinking.

the problem is when they invite you to join them with bars, clubs, home party. cottage or what ever, these places alcohol runs 24 hours like water in the toilet;)

Khayr   

DoctorK,

I would do the same thing too.

What I find though is Alcohol is always at every after hours gathering. A simple sports game

becomes a beer fest.

Anyways, befriend people until they call you Boss!

Mooge   

my brother is in Ukraine now studying medicine and you would not believe that country alcohol is everywhere like there is no tomorrow. isagu wa nin wadaada lakin somali badan oo alcohol Ukraine ku bartay waad xanaqaysa marka lagu sheego. there are many disgusting stories coming out of Ukraine. parents sent their kids to be doctors and they come back alcoholics.