Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Working Studying in Gaalo Societies

I wanted to start this thread for a while now. We all work or study with gaalos here and often the differences in beliefs, norms and value will come up and cause awkward situations. Particular sticky situations are gaalo festivities, social activities and even general interaction. There is always a immense amount of "peer-pressure" considering the minority demographic status of muslims and minorities in general.

Its interesting to note how different [muslim] individuals deal with these issues.

Some, especially the youth of today, immerse themselves in the gaalo culture and social activities - they do the whole lot, going out clubbing, flirting & banter, going to the pub, work syndicates, christmas gifts, work parties etc. Others are steadfast in keeping the norms and beliefs they were brought up with and don't sacrifice their values.

Those who have gone to university in western counties will know that universities are the mothers of all hedonic and gaalo anvironments. If any muslim is going to stray it will be whilst at the god-forsaken universities. Drink, drugs, sex, gambling and more alcohol involves most acitivies that happen there.

So I wanted to start this thread about the trials and tribulations of dealing with gaalos whilst at work. And see what the experiences of SOL'ers were.

For me I've always been someone who thinks and sees things in "black and white". For me i've always looked at things through the lens of is that halal or haram and that would be my decision making mechanism. Perhaps more so than belief (or maybe because of belief, I don't know) it has always been that mindset that has keep me on the right path; but has also made me unnessarily rigid. For example instead of going to a work party and just drinking juice/coke & eating a vegetarian dish as some of you might do, I would personally not go because of the alcohol (and usually pork and other haram foods) infested environment is something that I personally don't like or feel comfortable with... whether thats me being rigid and to my own detriment negatively impacting my professional relationships, or the desired way to behave, I don't know.

But living in an environment owned and full of gaalos this does cause friction and distinct differentiation from gaalo peers - with a severe detrimental effect on networking and professional relationships and the costs related with forgoing social interactions because of the setting and nature of those interactions.

Wadani   

That's exactly y I will move to hargaysa after I get a couple more years of professional experience under my belt, along with a masters. Until then, it's putting up with more awkwardness and dilemmas as you've aptly described.

For example today my eccentric colleague invited me to a small get-together to "celebrate" some X-mas occasion (basically an early X-mas party in all but name). Some drink, foods, canape's and laughter would be the order of the night. Gammon was on the menu, with a halal-chicken dish to be seperately prepared for me.

I refused on principal - and im an opinionated person anyway. I don't celebrate X-mas, never have done and dont intend to. I don't go to alcohol-fueled situations; and certainly in a place where everyone would be eating pork and drinking sharaabka kulul.

My colleague was, though having to tried to brush it off as "fine", quite blatently dissappointed.

Wadani;892431 wrote:
That's exactly y I will move to hargaysa after I get a couple more years of professional experience under my belt, along with a masters. Until then, it's putting up with more awkwardness and dillemas as you've aptly described.

2yrs of experience in the field is better than 10yrs experience in canada behind a desk.

Alpha Blondy;892434 wrote:
excellent thread. will give you an answer to your questions tomorrow. its ashura tomorrow BTW.

I'll go and google what this Ashura is...

Wadani   

Thats true Alpha. I don't plan on gettting 10 years of experience before coming to hargaysa. I just graduated uni this year and in the first few months of my career. I'm think after 4 or 5 years i'll be ready for the motherland.

Apophis;892433 wrote:
Maybe it's not very helpful to separate people into “gaalo" or Muslim and see everyone as a fellow human first and their faith /lack of second.

Wait for my other thread.

Wadani;892440 wrote:
Thats true Alpha. I don't plan on gettting 10 years of experience before coming to hargaysa. I just graduated uni this year and in the first few months of my career. I'm think after 4 or 5 years i'll be ready for the motherland.

its coming to 3 years for me here and i've learnt so much Wanadi. not just in the field as it were but about myself in terms of my own values and stuff. there is more to life than 'developing' a career. plus doing is better than thinking about it.

yes! obviously taking into consideration your circumstances. i came, saw and conquered very. you'll need an agile, thick-skinned and patient sort of personality. anyways why Golisia? i thought you were all about somalia?