Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Somali youth more interested in the Gaza conflict

Rahima;891618 wrote:
I'm not going to turn on my Muslim brothers and sisters; and on our holy land simply because i don't agree with suicide bombings. I don't have to agree with every tactic employed by Hamas but as a Muslim i believe it is a duty to support the struggle- and not just because they are Muslim but because they are an oppressed people.

Anyway i must say that i am amazed that a Muslim could side against their own oppressed people, and even worse still on the side of a Zionist state which many in in the International community have condemned for the atrocities they commit against the Palestinians.

basically its a duty to support Hamas right? Hamas doesn't have ability to fight israel and yet they are shooting useless rockets into israel with which causes Israel to counterattack. 3 israelis get killed= +100 palestinians. Fatah is the smart group, look at westbank no problem occuring in there.

Chimera;891748 wrote:
I'm not, and I hope the number of young Somalis getting involved in the Palestinian situation increases 100-fold. From my personal experience every single pro-Palestine Somali boy/girl ended up being a great asset for Somalis/Somalia eventually. The Palestinian crisis opens the mind of a potential brain-dead tribalist groupie that you can see crawling all over Somalinet. Instead these pro-Palestine Somali youth with their leaflets, demonstrations and twitter updates slowly but surely realise the importance of 'unity' and understand the significance of 'having a recognised country'.

A brain-dead tribalist groupie only recognises his/her crappy clan-chieftain, and does not understand the 'legacy of sovereignty' that his grandfathers/mothers left behind for him/her, which the Kurds, Native Americans, Assyrians, Chechens, Rohingas, Tibetans and Palestinians can only dream about.

We need more Somali youth to expand their horizons, see the world is bigger than little dusty tuulo they boast to other Somalis. It would humble them, motivate them and more importantly set them on the right path.

man the people im talking about dont care about Somalia never did, they dont even like somalis. they are selfhating youth suffering with inferiority complex.

Guzel   

oba hiloowlow;891758 wrote:
man the people im talking about dont care about Somalia never did, they dont even like somalis. they are selfhating youth suffering with inferiority complex.

They must be very small in number. The Somali youth activists I know have supported the Somali droughts, Syria and now Gaza. It is no use saying " i hate arabs", mosques all over the UK whether owned by Pakistanis or Arabs were fundraising for Somalis during the drought.

Arabs are Somalis closest allies they did a fantastic job not to forget the noble Muslim Persian People who contributed to the funds of the drought in Somalia. The least Somalis can do is support their Muslim Arab brothers in their struggle its not like you guys will contribute financially mar mar bu afku xita hiil yahay.

Malika;890765 wrote:
Oh dear.

It seems some are stuck between 'Arab and Islam' and cant see beyond it..lol

ps.
The responds are typical of Somalis - I remember when conflict was riffe in the South, the Notherner would say - its the southerners , their conflict has nothing to do with me. If conflict was up in the North the southerners would say - its their conflict it has nothing to do with us
. Such a mentality has enable the 'inner conflcts' to flourish for years - ciid iis qabaneysaa ama isuu naxeysaa baa iska yar. Marka all this 'somaliness' in this palestine argument is flawed as far as am concern.

pss. THE PALESTINE CONFLICT AND PLIGHT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM...hope that will help those anti Islamists here.

Humility in the face of oppression is all that is asked here, then again Apophis thread on 'virtual aparthy' comes to mind - ...

When people think in terms such as they and we, and I should care more about my own country's plight thats when you know things are not right. Indeed Far keliya fool ma dhaqdo and I cant imagine how our brothers and sisters of Palestine would feel if they were to see this thread, it is beyond saddening.

Maarodi   

Chimera;891748 wrote:
... Instead these pro-Palestine Somali youth with their leaflets, demonstrations and twitter updates slowly but surely realise the importance of 'unity' and understand the significance of 'having a recognised country'....

... It would humble them, motivate them and more importantly set them on the right path.

Case in point: Moi!

I was once that kid who was involved with the Palestinian cause (a la Facebook updates and class projects ). At first I thought (like many people) it was a religious conflict but as I became more knowledgeable realized the geopolitics and underlying motivations. Anyway, long story short, I had no clue about Somali history nor cared about Somalinimo. My opinion about Somalia was truly nihilistic.

But now, here I am, on this site, conversing with my fellow Somali colleges with an actual hope of reviving Somali independence statehood. I was a lurker for a while, but somehow decided to join in the dialogues.

In the end, I hope other Somalis can also follow that path (though it took me ~7 yrs) but finally I am participating in Somali causes and most importantly have a vision of a unified prosperous Somalia.

Apophis;891890 wrote:
Maybe we should agree that all those who wish to be involved and do something should not be condemned as “race traitors" and those who wish to do something else should also not be stigmatised. Let adults decide for themselves. Is this proposition acceptable to anyone here?

Aye. I just wanted try out this whole righteous self-indignation thing. It's actually pretty fun. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to decline a dozen Facebook invites for downtown marches in a city 4000km away.

Maarodi   

"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people."

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." MLK Jr.

Maarodi   

Figuring out who's the oppressor and who's the oppressed?

I'm pretty sure you have good critical thinking skills ;)

Some Israelis are willfully ignorant and brainwashed, some are complicit in the oppression and think it's their mandate, and others come to the truth (like the Peled family -- Maati (Israeli General),

(son - who I had the pleasure of meeting), and Nurit (daughter who's own daughter was killed by suicide bombers)) and conscientious objectors who refuse to partake in the crimes of the State.

From the perspective of the KKK, Blacks should be enslaved and aren't fully human entitled to any "rights". See how that perspective worked out for them.

Maarodi   

Yes, there are complexities (such as whether to have a 1 state, 2 state or 3 state solution), but it's not hard to see the difference between the victim and the perpetrator. Here's the race/discrimination angle for instance -->

Israeli poll finds majority would be in favour of 'apartheid' policies

Israel's apartheid is worse than South Africa's

Citizenship law makes Israel an apartheid state

Israeli Violations of International Law - (10) APARTHEID: The State of Israel has a formal system of discrimination set up which technically fits the official UN definition of Apartheid (Great source btw)

Israel’s Latest Apartheid Law

Israeli racism is embedded in daily politics of every state body

Author: Israel can claim the title of the most racist state in the developed world

Here's a whole racism tag from +972 Magazine

Nearly all of the sources I cited are Israeli/Jewish by the way, so it's not a one-sided issue (Palestinian vs. Israeli). Those people have the courage to speak out against injustices and oppression done in their name.

Don't let the media fool you into thinking otherwise.

25_main.jpg?1322160349

Rahima   

oba hiloowlow;891755 wrote:
basically its a duty to support Hamas right? Hamas doesn't have ability to fight israel and yet they are shooting useless rockets into israel with which causes Israel to counterattack. 3 israelis get killed= +100 palestinians. Fatah is the smart group, look at westbank no problem occuring in there.

So let me get this straight- in the middle of outright genocide against our MUSLIM brothers and sisters, you want to engage in a debate over which group, Hamas or Fatah should get our support? And even worse still because you disagree with some of Hamas' tactics you would rather support the Zionists?

Every time i think that your reason and arguments can't get any lower you somehow manage to prove me wrong. Please don't try to turn this discussion into an analysis of which groups tactics are more effective. It has nothing to do with that and we are all witness to it.

You have proven that you have a problem with Somali Muslims showing support for their fellow Muslims and that is the crux of your stance.

Alhamdullilah that victory is dependant on Allah alone.