Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Dr. Hawa Abdi nominated for 2012 Nobel Peace Prize

Vital Voices is pleased to share that Dr. Hawa Abdi of Somalia, who, with her two daughters, provides safe haven and medical services to thousands of refugees, has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 2012.

Dr. Abdi visited our offices in 2011, sharing with us her experiences and the challenges she faces. She and her daughters were also recipients of a Glamour Woman of the Year award in 2010.

Dr. Abdi's work urgently needs support now. Two weeks ago, part of her land was seized and sold by al Qaeda-affiliated soldiers, according to The Daily Beast. It is also reported that they kidnapped hundreds of children. The camp is being evacuated and services are temporarily suspended — a true crisis for the thousands of people who rely on its food, shelter and medicine.

From Dr. Abdi's website: "The Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation (DHAF) strongly condemns the illegal seizure of this land from the camp. DHAF remains politically neutral and is committed solely to the provision of humanitarian assistance to the most vulnerable population in Somalia."

Dr. Deqo Mohamed, daughter of Dr. Abdi, said: "It is a hard time for us and people in the camp, but we are holding up. We will fight for them and make sure they have homes. The Nobel Peace Prize nomination came at the right time and it gives us strength to continue our fight."

This is old news mase you are preempting unionists before they start bragging about one of being nominated for Nobel prize. Now that will be tough act to follow.

Blessed   

I can't think of a more deserving person, I hope she wins it and the vile alshabaab need to give the land and children back.

Abwaan   

*Blessed;876183 wrote:
I can't think of a more deserving person, I hope she wins it and the vile alshabaab need to give the land and children back.

I hope that she wins too. She is an amazing woman who has done a lot for many poor Somalis. The land is still under her position and the last time I know the Somali government court was dealing with that. I do not know if he is released now but the man who was responsible for looting the land was arrested according to what I heard from Dr. Hawa herself. Apparently the guy is from Europe and he collected money from other Somalis in the diaspora, and told them that he has a land which he would sell to them. Once they found out that the land was Dr. Hawa's they went to the court asking for this man to be arrested unless he gives their money back.

these peace awards have lost all respectability. it bound to be won by an unknown, totally random and token person of the global south. her winning is either glamorous nor shows any commitment/relevance to peace. how come real practitioners of peace, peace building and those who make tangible change are never mentioned by this selective panels of experts.

Abwaan;876245 wrote:
I hope that she wins too. She is an amazing woman who has done a lot for many poor Somalis. The land is still under her position and the last time I know the Somali government court was dealing with that. I do not know if he is released now but the man who was responsible for looting the land was arrested according to what I heard from Dr. Hawa herself. Apparently the guy is from Europe and he collected money from other Somalis in the diaspora, and told them that he has a land which he would sell to them. Once they found out that the land was Dr. Hawa's they went to the court asking for this man to be arrested unless he gives their money back.

Abwaan, goormee xaajiyada dhulkaas yeelatay iyadana? I mean dhulkaas dhul dowladeed ayuu ahaa last time aan ogaa. Lafoole iyo agagaarkaas dhan waa wada dhul dowladeed ee Xaajiyo Xaawo goormee la wareegtay herself?

Mise sida loo wada dhistay Ceelasha Biyaha ayee iyadana ula wareegtay miyaa dhulkaas.

raula   

Abwaan seems like you know her personally-thx for that update. Indeed a deserving human being who has given much to her community.

Abwaan   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;876328 wrote:
Abwaan, goormee xaajiyada dhulkaas yeelatay iyadana? I mean dhulkaas dhul dowladeed ayuu ahaa last time aan ogaa. Lafoole iyo agagaarkaas dhan waa wada dhul dowladeed ee Xaajiyo Xaawo goormee la wareegtay herself?

Mise sida loo wada dhistay Ceelasha Biyaha ayee iyadana ula wareegtay miyaa dhulkaas.

Oba, I really do not know goortii ay yeelatay but I know Dr· Hawa Abdi opened her clinic in 1983, she did not move her after the civil war. I remember this because one of my relatives worked with her since she opened the clinic that has turned into the largest IDP camp in the world.

raula;876329 wrote:
Abwaan seems like you know her personally-thx for that update. Indeed a deserving human being who has given much to her community.

you are welcome raula. I met her this year when she visited my city and had an opportunity to spend almost a whole day with her. She is a good person and what she did over the years proof that.

That old clinic and dhulka hadda balaca uu ku fadhiyo laba ay kala yihiin, aad iyo aadna u kala fogyihiin.

I hope eedadeena Xaajiyo Xaawo inaynan dhulkaas si shaqsinimo u sheegan, but dhul dowladeed yahay ayna ummada Soomaaliyeed ku caawineyso.

I have nothing against Xaajiyo Xaawo, but allergy ayaa ka qaadaa dadka sheegto dhulalkii danta guud, dadka dhisto dhulalkii dadweynaha ka dhaxeeye. Dadkaas la ima tuso nooh.